Sign in with
Your question

bent x1900xtx! help! *UPDATE*

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2006 2:16:18 AM

i ordered a new x1900xtx from newegg and it came today. i was pretty excited but then i opened it and saw that the card had a pretty severe bend / arc in it. i was confused but then thought "they must all be like this"

well i plugged it in and it was ok until i tried to change resolutions and then massive image corruption and random, very colorful textures went flying all over my screen.

so my question to all is this: does your x1900xtx have a bend / arc in its printed circuit board?

here are some photos of the problem.

http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~tbrigham/toms/IMG_3251.JPG
http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~tbrigham/toms/IMG_3252.JPG

i got a good deal on it for $374 but i think i should have one without a bend

UPDATE::::
i got my new card from newegg and it is bend free! wahoo! i also took some advice and went out and bought a better psu. it is a double rail psu but it has 18 and 19 amps on the two rails. its wasnt too expensive and it seems to work.

thanks to all you!

More about : bent x1900xtx update

August 8, 2006 2:17:11 AM

Not that bad it doesnt bend....>RMA to the vendor or manufactorer.
August 8, 2006 2:51:57 AM

Quote:
Not that bad it doesnt bend....>RMA to the vendor or manufactorer.

thanks. i put in for an rma and will send it out tommorow.

i have one more question though. after the first crash i got my computer up and running and was able to do the counter strike: source video stress test as well and run 3dmark05 all the way through and even played some oblivion. but after all that i opened ati tool and i instantly had another crash.

so my question is this: is a 500w power supply good enough for a x1900xtx, 3 hard drives, 1 dvd drive, 3 fans, and a athlon 64 3500+ oced to 2.7ghz?

im kinda thinking i dont have enough power....

thanks
Related resources
August 8, 2006 2:55:28 AM

Should be, whats the amperage of your 12v rails though....thats the biggy.
August 8, 2006 5:05:24 AM

Quote:

+12v1 has 14amps
+12v2 has 15amps
-12v has .3amps

too little?
August 8, 2006 5:57:22 AM

Meh...should be able to get by.

A single X1900XT draws around 11amps....so it might just be the PSU, however your unit takes the most damage on A) boot up and B) full (overclocked) 3rd mode, so a possibility your PSU might not be up to the task?? I'd say not to rule anything out at this point.
August 8, 2006 12:43:39 PM

Quote:

+12v1 has 14amps
+12v2 has 15amps
-12v has .3amps

too little?

Can u tell me where u got that info, so that i can compare?

Thnx.
August 8, 2006 1:23:35 PM

Quote:

+12v1 has 14amps
+12v2 has 15amps
-12v has .3amps

too little?

Thats not gonna cut it. I had a power supply along those specs with my X1900XT which BTW also has a slight bend and I had the same problems you are having. Once I replaced my PSU to a 540watt silverstone with 38amps on a single 12v rail the problems went away.
August 8, 2006 1:33:38 PM

Quote:

+12v1 has 14amps
+12v2 has 15amps
-12v has .3amps

too little?

Thnx.

yeah it was written on the side of my psu
August 8, 2006 1:59:09 PM

Quote:

+12v1 has 14amps
+12v2 has 15amps
-12v has .3amps

too little?

Thnx.

yeah it was written on the side of my psu

You need a good solid single 12v rail PSU. Dual rails are not really all that great and the amperage on your dual rails pretty much sucks on that PSU of yours.
August 8, 2006 2:02:59 PM

Quote:

You need a good solid single 12v rail PSU. Dual rails are not really all that great and the amperage on your dual rails pretty much sucks on that PSU of yours.

That's way to broad of a statement. His particular dual rail PSU might not have enough, but there are plenty of dual rail PSU's that do, including mine.

Get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
August 8, 2006 4:06:49 PM

Quote:

That's way to broad of a statement. His particular dual rail PSU might not have enough, but there are plenty of dual rail PSU's that do, including mine.

Get this:

And I see you have an X850pro in your sig? I hope you realize the X1900XT uses alot more power than your X850pro.

Do not get that PSU that he linked for you, that is just the bare minimum to get by (450watts) and if you begin to overclock your system or add any extra drives that PSU is not going to get you by and you are going to experiance reboots as I did.

Most guys with the X1900XT go for 520+ watts for maximum system stability. Its really up to you if you go with a dual rail PSU, make sure that it has at east 18-19amps on each rail and is at least 520 or more watts. Just understand that a stout single rail PSU that has around 38amps on the 12volt rail is a better choice for this GPU.

Here is the PSU i purchased and my whole system is highly overclocked but nothing has ever crashed. It cost a decent amount but you never ever want to skim out on the PSU!

August 8, 2006 4:20:56 PM

Well no shit. I don't own that PSU. That PSU will be enough to power his rig. He doesn't need to buy a $140 PSU.
August 8, 2006 5:20:22 PM

Quote:
Well no ****. I don't own that PSU. That PSU will be enough to power his rig. He doesn't need to buy a $140 PSU.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Wow! Just wow! you need to chill out. To the topic creator take my word and do not buy that PSU he linked you. FPS group is indeed a good brand name but I would get a beefier PSU for your X1900XT than what he recommended for you. If you are on a budget then this would be the better choice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

It also has 22amps on the dual 12v rail 8) And Notice it has a typical 80% effeciency rating vs the 70% one that he recommended.

Bottom line is the X1900XT uses a good bit of power and skimming out on the PSU and taking the cheap rout is not recommended. What is more expensive in the long run? getting a cheap PSU that could potentially damage your motherboard, gpu, cpu and who knows what else? or just doing it right the first time and getting a good PSU that you can have piece of mind about?
August 8, 2006 7:08:04 PM

I'm going to go with RaVen_87 on this one. Wait until you get your new card before you start replacing other equipment. Don't start spending money without doing some testing. Usually PSUs simply fold when you have problems with them. If you have any hardware monitoring software for your system that monitors voltage, run it and see if anything drops out of spec too far when you strain the system.
August 8, 2006 7:16:16 PM

I just saw the Big Trouble in Little China quote. Props, that used to be one of my favorite movies.
August 8, 2006 7:21:06 PM

:lol:  I could probably quote that movie line for line. Kurt Russell was the epitome of truck driver.
August 8, 2006 9:39:04 PM

truly it is the greatest guy-movie ever, or at lest in the top 5. lol.

on topic though; My card has that same bend. Works fine, been working fine for quite a while now w/ heavy gaming. (~6months+)

If you have the rma going and are getting a new card then keep going w/ that... It would certainly rule out it as a cause. I would guess that the psu is probably the next step. One way to test that would be to remove any component that you can, opticals, sound card etc... It may still crash even then but if it doesn't then for sure it is that psu. (still could be regardless) Other causes could be bad mobo or even bad ram... but after the card itself that psu is the next suspect.

so send off that card. (I'm sure the new one will have the bend as well) Sit back, keep the home fires burning... if the card is not back by dawn, call the president.
August 8, 2006 10:04:32 PM

I see you have commented that a single rail with high amperage is better than dual rails with mediocre amperage. What do you think of a quad-rail supply with 18A on each rail? More specifically, this one:

It states the distribution of loads over the rails right on the supply if you notice in the pics...

If you think this supply would not be a good choice, then what would you recommend for at least 550W and up to $200 price range?

Thanks.
August 8, 2006 10:15:50 PM

Quote:
Sit back, keep the home fires burning... if the card is not back by dawn, call the president.

May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.
August 8, 2006 10:33:38 PM

Quote:
Sit back, keep the home fires burning... if the card is not back by dawn, call the president.

Here's to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won. Here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.
August 8, 2006 10:35:32 PM

First, I agree that the OP should not replace any other parts (in this case his PSU) until he gets his replacement video card.

Second,

Quote:
Most guys with the X1900XT go for 520+ watts for maximum system stability.

Okay, folks. It is SLI/X-Fire age. Quad SLI/X-Fire too - I'd say very near future. Third card? Physics processing? Are you all in favor of upgrading your PSU every time you beef up the graphics?

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, it makes good sense NOT to try to save on three things: PC cases, motherboards, PSUs because if you get really good ones they will get you through 2-3 (and in the case of PSUs and cases many more) upgrades.

So far everyone suggested that the original poster get a merely adequate PSU to support his single X1900XTX.

I say he should get something in the 800-1000 Watt range and have his PSU needs taken care of for many years to come.
August 8, 2006 11:42:54 PM

Well, I will go out on a limb and say that he should not be shopping total wattage. It is a misleading number that includes the 3.3v and 5v rails. To get a power supply that is good enough for his current build he will need about 36 amps on the 12v rails (all combined if more than one). If he would like to future proof his set-up for more power hungry equipment then he should look for a power supply that has 60 amps or more on the 12v rails.
Here is a link to two power supplies that will future proof your system:

Here is a link to a power supply that is good enough for you now:
August 9, 2006 1:41:15 AM

Quote:
I see you have commented that a single rail with high amperage is better than dual rails with mediocre amperage. What do you think of a quad-rail supply with 18A on each rail? More specifically, this one:

It states the distribution of loads over the rails right on the supply if you notice in the pics...

If you think this supply would not be a good choice, then what would you recommend for at least 550W and up to $200 price range?

Thanks.

August 9, 2006 1:45:19 AM

yeah it isnt suppose to be like that
August 9, 2006 5:16:17 PM

Well - dunno if this will help at all, but I have a 430W Antec TP2.0 - running 2 gigs of ram and a 3.2 P4 640 along with a xtx - and I have never even seen anything closely resembling a crash.
August 9, 2006 5:21:24 PM

Quote:

Here's to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won. Here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.
It's like I told my ex wife. I said honey I never drive faster than I can see and besides...it's all in the reflexes.
August 9, 2006 6:04:21 PM

mine is bent similarly, sapphire brand x1900xtx, i have it overclocked with no problems, other than heat :p  it looks like the way it was packaged affected the pcb, but i dont know. mine looks just like that though.

i had to buy a new psu for the increase requirements of the vga and the new mobo (24 pin as opposed to 20). i got a good Antec 550w Neopower HE. looks very plain but the voltage is rock solid, especially with a dfi lanparty mobo. i would go get a good 550-650w psu from a local comp store and see if that fixes the problem. if not, you can return it there :) 
August 9, 2006 6:06:21 PM

Quote:

It's like I told my ex wife. I said honey I never drive faster than I can see and besides...it's all in the reflexes.

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the bar room wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues... you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that; Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
August 9, 2006 6:52:37 PM

Quote:

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the bar room wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues... you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that; Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
Damn, that was going to be my next one. OK one more before people start complaining.

"Jesus Christ Wang where are we!"
"Hell of the upside-down sinners!"
August 9, 2006 6:55:17 PM

:lol: 
August 9, 2006 7:03:05 PM

Damn, now I gotta go find/buy/rent/download that movie and watch it.
August 9, 2006 7:20:14 PM

yes, youre probably right, but its way past RMA date, and i didnt notice it at the time, only when i opened the comp back up to work a new hdd in there. just telling him that mine works fine, but that i have a bigger psu (btw, its 18a, 17a, 17a on 3 12v rails, or something around there). i know i should have sent it back now, but when i just opened the box, i didnt notice that it was bent.
August 9, 2006 7:34:23 PM

I bought it and Kung Pow: Enter The Fist for $10.00 total. I count it as one of the finest investments I've ever made.
August 9, 2006 7:35:31 PM

Where'd you get it?
August 9, 2006 7:37:19 PM

BestBuy of all places. 2 for 1 special but it was a few years ago. Every now and then even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
August 9, 2006 7:48:05 PM

Damn. I bet I could find it in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart, but that'd mean I'd have to go to Wal-Mart, and I hate Wal-Mart.
August 9, 2006 7:49:45 PM

lol, I got it at full price ($20) when the "special edition" came out many moons ago. It "only" has dolby 4.1... not 5.1 but I loved the flick so much I considered it an investment on my son's future instruction. I mean, who else to teach the boy to grow up big and strong, walk w/ authority (and treat women and foriegners properly) than Jack Burton?

That is an incredible deal anoobis, even 10 bucks for good ol' Jack is worth it, but to get another flick w/ it is bonus time!
August 9, 2006 7:51:38 PM

Quote:
Damn. I bet I could find it in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart, but that'd mean I'd have to go to Wal-Mart, and I hate Wal-Mart.

agreed, I was in there a few days ago and I always glance @ the bargin bin... don't remember seeing it there. Maybe that will save you the trip? lol

best bet may be a deal @ best buy like anoobis.
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2006 8:04:01 PM

I work with electronics that's expected to work at temperatures of 350F (downhole). I can tell you that a bent board could mean nothing or everything. A PCB can tolerate bending, solder can't. If there is enough of a bend, it can cause solder to crack. The problems that will manifest themselves will be a result of intermittent contact. Nearly all components on present day consumer electronics use SMT (Surface Mount Technology) to mount them to a PCB. What this means it that the IC's (chips) sit on the surface (no legs soldered through holes in the board). This means that all the mechanical strength for attaching components to the board, relies on a small fillet of solder (albiet many contacts per device). If you put too great a strain on the solder it will crack. This may not immediately cause a failure since even cracked, the leg may make contact. As time goes by though the exposed solder (the cracked part) will oxidize, this creates a high resistance contact. At some point the electrical resistance will become so high that the signal integrity will be compromised. This type of problem can be aggrevated by vibration (such as the spinning of fans) causing it to intermittently lose contact. Unfortunately unless you have a microscope and lots of time and experience (I do, but it sucks having your face in a microscope using small SMT picks to find bad solder connections) there is practically no way that you can see this type of failure. To be on the safe side I would RMA the board.

Incidentally it looks like the pressure applied to mount the heatsink is what is causing the bend. I bet if you let some of the tension off on the screws holding the heatsink on the board, it would straighten some. Of course that may affect how well your heatsink makes contact with the GPU and memory.

As for someone mentioning copper corroding, this is highly unlikely. Most PCB's don't use straight copper for the traces. It still corrodes, but not as quickly or badly as you describe. Second off, all parts of the PCB are covered with a solder mask. The only sections of PCB not covered with solder mask are the locations of the solder lands (the locations where components are soldered to the board) and the trace contacts on the edge connector(s). The mask is there to prevent oxidizing of the traces. Even if they did oxidize, it would take some serious oxidizing before it compromised the trace (even at high frequencies).

As an aside, corrosion of contacts is one reason if a system that has functioned well starts to display odd intermittent problems, it is sometimes advisable to re-seat cards, DIMM's, CPU's or anything that makes this type of contact. Corrosion caused by humidity and fretting (microscopic amounts of metal that are removed from contacts that rub together due to vibration, these small particles oxidize quickly) can cause contacts to develop unwanted resistance over time. The removal and re-insertion will usually be enough to scrape away corrosion between contacts.
August 9, 2006 8:22:00 PM

I bet your local library would have it.

I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in over a year and a half.
August 9, 2006 8:22:55 PM

I'll probably just find it on the internet somewhere.
August 9, 2006 8:31:56 PM

Quote:
I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in over a year and a half.

man, I wish that was the case for me. I really do not like squeezing in there and am willing to go to almost any other store or even chew off my leg before wally... but such is my position that w/ a wife and kids there are just some things that you buck-up and take. ;) 

que ser a ser

lol
August 9, 2006 8:41:27 PM

I do not look down on anyone who shops there as some people don't have a choice and I completely understand that. One of these days I may not have a choice either, but currently I do and I choose not to shop there.
August 9, 2006 8:57:58 PM

Quote:
I do not look down on anyone who shops there as some people don't have a choice and I completely understand that.

nah man, did not take it that way at all and also am not going against the ppl that shop there... I really do just dislike the store. In concept, delivery... everything about it. I prefer service and quality to price. There are just times that I am stuck going there.

man have we really diverged off topic or what? :roll: :lol: 
August 9, 2006 9:21:45 PM

Quote:
Well, I will go out on a limb and say that he should not be shopping total wattage. It is a misleading number that includes the 3.3v and 5v rails. To get a power supply that is good enough for his current build he will need about 36 amps on the 12v rails (all combined if more than one). If he would like to future proof his set-up for more power hungry equipment then he should look for a power supply that has 60 amps or more on the 12v rails.
Here is a link to two power supplies that will future proof your system:

I have this psu and im scared to add 2 gfx cards to my rig..Its stable for my current setup
!