XP shuts down

Hello: I have windows XP, just purchased the computer less than a year ago
and I am having problems. my computer shuts down for no reason then restarts
itself, I tried running my antivirus but it freezes 3/4 the way through. I
have my disk to install Windows XP home addition which this is and my
motherboard disk and a few others If I reformat my puter from scratch would
that help and? I tried reduingcomputer but i get a fresh xp version but alot
of files have been transfered over from before i would like to restart fresh
if that is possible how do i go about doing that as i dont mind losing all i
have on puter if this will help. Thank you for your time and patience.
Email me also if you can at backup_has_arrived@hotmail.com
1 answer Last reply
More about shuts down

    In addition to the virus scan, you need to check for malware as well,
    download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
    third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
    you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
    figure out what is going on.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "backup_has_arrived" <backup_has_arrived@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello: I have windows XP, just purchased the computer less than a year ago
    > and I am having problems. my computer shuts down for no reason then
    > restarts
    > itself, I tried running my antivirus but it freezes 3/4 the way through. I
    > have my disk to install Windows XP home addition which this is and my
    > motherboard disk and a few others If I reformat my puter from scratch
    > would
    > that help and? I tried reduingcomputer but i get a fresh xp version but
    > alot
    > of files have been transfered over from before i would like to restart
    > fresh
    > if that is possible how do i go about doing that as i dont mind losing all
    > have on puter if this will help. Thank you for your time and patience.
    > Email me also if you can at backup_has_arrived@hotmail.com

Computers Microsoft Windows XP