Sign in with
Your question

Help a girl out! First build in a while, for animation apps

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2006 2:50:39 AM

Hey guys! I need a little help. I know the basic for building, I used to build with my dad all the time, but it's been live five or so years... Sooo I am a little behind on which parts are best for what I'm looking for (I have an idea, but advice would help me be more confident ^_^)..

I have ~$1200 to spend. $1000 would be nicer, but hey, we'll see what we see :wink:

I'm using this for Mirage (2d bitmap animation), painter, and a little 3d studio max. Some Video editing.

I usually run only one prog at a time, multitasking isn't a big deal for me. I'm not sure if I really need a dual core...

Anyway. If anyone could suggest a setup including case and monitor, I would be so greatful. I feel really embaressed asking this when I used to know so much more back in highschool, but oh well :roll:

I have to order the parts soon (newegg probably?)... :oops: 

Thank you so MUCH!
August 8, 2006 4:23:44 AM

Please specify what EXACTLY you want - LCD monitor, case form fit?

For an LCD monitor, I suggest the Viewsonic VX922 (2ms response rate)
A 4200+ X2 AMD am2 CPU should be enough for your PC, and pair it with some 1 or 2 GB RAM DDR2 667.

A 7600 GT or possibly a X1800 XT would work as a GPU
August 8, 2006 4:52:58 AM

DeusEx: For an LCD monitor, I suggest the Viewsonic VX922 (2ms response rate) [...] A 7600 GT or possibly a X1800 XT would work as a GPU

Aren't those overkill for a non-gamer machine? Does 3D Studio Max make use of hardware 3D acceleration?

My little sister (likes to do image manipulation with the Gimp, but doesn't play any graphics-intensive games) is quite happy with the $30 GeForce 6200 card I bought her about two months ago. Sure, it's low end, but so are her needs.
Related resources
August 8, 2006 5:15:24 AM

i agree 2ms is overkill, get a cheaper one.
I would probably go for a firegl with 3d stuff.

are you Mrs. D's husband?
if you are i'm very sorry for you :lol: 
August 8, 2006 5:35:01 AM

Dues-ex, while I really can't say EXACTLY what I want... I can clarify that an LCD monitor is preferable, mostly for size considerations. 17-20 inches is good, widescreen or not.
I can't say what I want for a GPU... People often say to get a good graphics card for photo apps... but as a 2d app, I don't think it would really be needed. 3dSM on the other hand seems like it would use the GPU very much...
As long as the case is sturdy and will allow for some expansion, I don't need some SUV-of-PC-cases...

Anyway thank you, I just need suggestiosn in the general range of what I can afford/need. It really is helpful..
August 8, 2006 6:00:25 AM

$1000 is good enough for building a nice rig. Get the E6300 :!: :D 
August 8, 2006 6:04:08 AM

Quote:
Dues-ex, while I really can't say EXACTLY what I want... I can clarify that an LCD monitor is preferable, mostly for size considerations. 17-20 inches is good, widescreen or not.

Honestly I would recommend a Dell 19" 1907fp it's here for about $260. You don't want speed, and response time, you want color fidelity and image quality. I've used these at school in my architecture classes and they are really easy on the eyes for hours at a time.

Quote:
I can't say what I want for a GPU... People often say to get a good graphics card for photo apps... but as a 2d app, I don't think it would really be needed. 3dSM on the other hand seems like it would use the GPU very much...

If your animated sequences are pre-rendered, there's no need for an overly expensive gamer's card. Obviously you won't be able to afford a FireGL or Quadro professional series card (they'd blow 80% of your budget out of the gate), but My guess is that an ATI x1600 pro series card would suit your needs alright. (someone else feel free to jump in and correct this).

Quote:
As long as the case is sturdy and will allow for some expansion, I don't need some SUV-of-PC-cases...

Antec makes some very well constructed, easy to build with cases and often include a power supply. I'd probably recommend the sonata II in your case.
August 8, 2006 6:06:47 AM

wanted to add one more thing. Newegg has great customer service and a huge array of product offerings, but their prices are not as competitive as they once were. I love ewiz.com, they have great prices and very good service (as well as response time).
August 8, 2006 6:33:31 AM

if its a work machine then I'd go for intel, AMD's i dont think are really that good when it comes to intense workloads e.g. video converting for a bench mark test shows how much faster intels are then K8s
I cant really advise you on Intel since i havent had one since around 2000. but at the rate things are going its likely that i might change over
6300Eshould be powerful enough, though if its not...overclock!

also wouldnt Matrox be a better bet if your working with 2D?
i hear that they are second to none when it comes to 2D...though nowadays...
and besides i dont know if they have any new (PCI-E) grfx cards

I'd want a phillips 20.1" billiance 200W6C though again since your doing graphics work it (still) is better to go for CRT rather the LCD
dont forget that if you get a 19/20" widescreen that the height is equal to a 17 inch.

for a case antec P180....really dont need to explain....its just sexy....

u'll need atleast a gig, though it would be better for 2X1gb matched pair the 2 gb will seldom give the system a shortage, and the matched pair means u can run sual channel for 3~5% inprovement in speed

Hdd get atleast 250Gb. to be honest i'd get 2 X 250 7200.10 seagate setup in RAID 1, not only will you have a good storage compacity but u'll also have an instant backup! though the speed might not be as good as RAID 0, u wont loose all your data at if one of the drives crash...this can lead to a nasty condition that causes the rest of the computer to be destroyed as it is tossed out of a window...just putting it out there...

all this should clock up to around 1000 quid...though this is a ballpark figure as i cant be bothered to do the research so it might be more might be less.
August 8, 2006 6:39:06 AM

Alright, check this out:

CPU: AMD X3800+ ---- $151

RAM: CORSAIR XMS 5400 ---- $152 (after rebate)

Motherboard: ASUS M2N - E ---- $95

Hard Drive: WD 320GB ---- $90 (after rebate)

Video card: eVGA 7600GT KO ---- $145 (after rebate)

Case: Antec Performance I P180 ---- $95 (after rebate)

Power Supply:Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W ---- $70

--------------------------------------------------------

Monitor:

1. Samsung 940Be Black ---- $187 (after rebate)

2. LG L1920PQ ---- $225

3. LG L1952TX Black ---- $227

All 3 monitors have 19" and 8ms response time. They all look great, it's just a matter of browsing the monitor section and pick the ones that look good and have good reviews and trusted brand name.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Grand Final: $ 1023 + Shipping / Tax

Not bad at all :D 
August 8, 2006 6:40:15 AM

AMDs are well known for top notch performance when it comes to music editing, games, video editing, etc.
August 8, 2006 6:57:50 AM

Cool, another 3ds maxer.

You will find that a dual core machine will cut your render times on 3ds max nearly in half. MAX is optimised for dual/multi core. There is an option for using direct 3d instead of open GL on MAX, so a workstation card is not necissary. I run 3D max 7 on a Athlon 64 3800 with an X700, and it is great.
With AMD dropping prices of their X2's, processor choice comes down to personal preference as the lower end AMD X2's are equal with intel in terms of Price/performance.
If there is one thing you will need though, its lots of RAM.

Off topic now.... Have you checked out www.3dbuzz.com?

Post a 3d max render some time :-)
August 8, 2006 7:20:03 AM

Quote:
DeusEx: For an LCD monitor, I suggest the Viewsonic VX922 (2ms response rate) [...] A 7600 GT or possibly a X1800 XT would work as a GPU

Aren't those overkill for a non-gamer machine? Does 3D Studio Max make use of hardware 3D acceleration?

3dmax, Maya, Softimage will <b>not</b> take advantage of a gaming gpu. if and only if your using hardware rendering you need a workstation graphic card. Hardware renderings from these applications rely on OpenGL not pixel shader or Pixel Pipelines. Hardware rending is not something you'll want to do anyways since it will be of lower quality then if you render via your processor.

You will want to verify that your gpu of choice is certified gpu for 3dMax. Out of curiosity why on earth would you use 3dmax and not Maya?
August 8, 2006 4:59:52 PM

Thanks so much, everyone! This is all really helpful ^_^
I'll keep researching for a few more days, so if anyone else has suggestions toss 'em in :wink:

Btw, I use 3dsm because I don't have the $ for Maya right now, and it does what I need it to do well enough... for now.

You guys are great :D 
August 8, 2006 5:04:22 PM

Sorry, Guys :) 

MY desicion making hasn't been up to quality these days - thanks for correcting me. Thinking too much of my new gaming rig :) 

XD
!