Windows Messenger

I running Windows XP Home (SP2).....

Can anyone tell me how to remove Windows Messenger?
I've been to the add/remove windows components, unchecked the Messenger
box and hit OK, but it hasn't got rid of it.

When I log on it still insists on telling me its there and wants me to
sign up. It still appears in the system tray and if I try to exit from
it, it come up with the "There are other applications currently using
features provided by Windows Messenger......" (I'm using Office 2003, IE
6.0 and Outlook Express)

Thanks for your help

Martin
4 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger

    "Martin Ibbotson" <mhibbotson.x@xalt.co.uk> wrote in message news:KUPad.31$ge7.1@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
    >I running Windows XP Home (SP2).....
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to remove Windows Messenger?
    > I've been to the add/remove windows components, unchecked the Messenger
    > box and hit OK, but it hasn't got rid of it.
    >
    > When I log on it still insists on telling me its there and wants me to
    > sign up. It still appears in the system tray and if I try to exit from
    > it, it come up with the "There are other applications currently using
    > features provided by Windows Messenger......" (I'm using Office 2003, IE
    > 6.0 and Outlook Express)
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Martin

    If you really want to *totally* remove it, then click Start|Run, and copy and paste this in the box and click OK:

    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    It will be completely gone, and if you want it back, you'll have to download it from Windows Updates (as one source anyway).

    Martin Ibbotson wrote:
    > I running Windows XP Home (SP2).....
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to remove Windows Messenger?
    > I've been to the add/remove windows components, unchecked the
    > Messenger box and hit OK, but it hasn't got rid of it.
    >
    > When I log on it still insists on telling me its there and wants me
    > sign up. It still appears in the system tray and if I try to exit
    > from
    > it, it come up with the "There are other applications currently
    > using
    > features provided by Windows Messenger......" (I'm using Office
    > 2003,
    > IE 6.0 and Outlook Express)
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Martin

    Modify the file C:\Windows\Inf\Sysoc.inf to remove the word "Hide"
    from the pertinent Windows Components entries. Be sure to leave the
    two surrounding commas in place. (Iow, change the line
    "msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7" to read
    "msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7") Save and exit Notepad.

    Then click Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > windows
    Components. You'll now be able to see Windows Messenger listed and
    "uninstallable.".

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Go away.
    "A/CN-CH_EN" <space_europe@msn.com> wrote in message
    Install MSN Messenger 6.2
    You needn't renove Windows Messenger.
    Open your OE, Tools/Options
    Make it like this, and click OK.

    And if you just want to disable it, Run/msmsgs
    That toggles it off & on.

    --

    johnf

    > "Martin Ibbotson" <mhibbotson.x@xalt.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> I running Windows XP Home (SP2).....
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how to remove Windows Messenger?
    >> I've been to the add/remove windows components, unchecked the Messenger
    >> box and hit OK, but it hasn't got rid of it.
    >>
    >> When I log on it still insists on telling me its there and wants me to
    >> sign up. It still appears in the system tray and if I try to exit from
    >> it, it come up with the "There are other applications currently using
    >> features provided by Windows Messenger......" (I'm using Office 2003,
    >> IE
    >> 6.0 and Outlook Express)
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >>
    >> Martin
    >>

    > If you really want to *totally* remove it, then click Start|Run, and
    > copy and paste this in the box and click OK:
    >
    > RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    >
    > It will be completely gone, and if you want it back, you'll have to
    > download it from Windows Updates (as one source anyway).

Messenger Windows XP