Recent WindowsUpdate fixes broke W2K AS.

alex

Hi,

A few days ago WindowsUpdate installed several fixes and my nightmare had
started. I kept getting BSODs until I tried Last Good Known Config. As a
former MS technical tester and long-time system developer I tried to recover
my knowledge to figure out possible crash reasons. However, the error message
gives no clue:

0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x00000001, 0x00000000)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, in ntosktnl.dll

Looks like the problem is inside the kernel, not even any driver. Once I get
a message of a fault in HAL and the another time there was something with a
"device connection timeout" or whatever.

I should say Last Good Known Config hasn't fully cuved my system - it still
crashes sometimes. Without the LGNC system dumps at the system boot screen in
normal mode but goes thru just fine in Safe Mode.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

alex

Tried to load old (pre-last known good) hardware profile and saw another one:
page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. Got back to Last Known and it works... still
works.

Curious what's wrong hides inside the recent WindowsUpdate patches...