Change Computer Name and Domain Name of Active Directory S..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 14, 2005 10:03:02 AM

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is a domain controller and AD. I
want to change the computer name and the domain name. How do I accomplish
this task? Thank You
--
Paul
Anonymous

> I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is a domain controller and AD.
> want to change the computer name and the domain name. How do I accomplish
> this task? Thank You

You get out the installation disks and start again.. Good luck :-)

Cameron:-)
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:49:38 PM

"Cameron Dorrough" <cdorrough@nortonconsultants.com> wrote in message
news:D b6pie$84c$1@news-01.bur.connect.com.au...
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server that is a domain controller and
AD.
> > I want to change the computer name and the domain name. How do I
> > accomplish this task? Thank You
>
> You get out the installation disks and start again.. Good luck :-)

Thinking about it.. I should clarify that statement.

You can run DCPROMO and demote the DC, then change the computer name then
run DCPROMO again with the new domain name, but depending upon exactly what
Services the DC is running, this may or may not actually work.

It is *way* quicker to start again.

Cameron:-)
July 15, 2005 12:49:39 PM

.... and you must rejoin every client to the domain. In short, this is a
horror. Start over or leave it as is.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:03:50 PM

AND further . . .
if you are running some applications (Informix database server comes
to mind) changing the machine's name can break the software. Changing
the machine name is FATAL to an Informix database (if you're lucky
you'll be able to recover the data). I learned this lesson the HARD
way!

Regards,
Bill Bowen

"Jetro" <somewhere@internet.space> wrote:

>... and you must rejoin every client to the domain. In short, this is a
>horror. Start over or leave it as is.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:50:25 PM

Changing the server's name will break some functions for SQL Server too - no
data loss, most things will work but some replication functions will break.

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

!