Problem with Dwemer Puzzle Box

Andreas

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi!

I'm currently looking for the Dwemer Puzzle Box in the Dwemer Ruins but
still can't find it at the location mentioned in some Walkthroughs.
Unfortunately sometime earlier in the game I was exploring the Ruins for
fun and might have taken the Puzzle Box without knowing what it was for and
also might have placed it somewhere or sold it or whatever (bad thing to do,
I know now...). So what I'm now looking for is a way of locating the object
within the game world of Morrowind. Is there a way of finding out the
current location of the Puzzle Box in the game? In the console there is a
command named ORI, might this be of any help (how does it work?)?
Are the console commands of any help at all?
And: if the Puzzle Box is gone for good, is this quest relevant for the
gameplay at all?

Thanks for your help
Andreas

Spoilers....

Well I don't won't to give to much away. But the puzzle box is not
deep in the ruins. It's really easy to get to. After you taken out
the bandits in the first chamber, look up. There is a second floor,
with a door that leads the puzzle box. Take the puzzle cube back to
the fighters guild. You can explore the rest of the Dwemer ruin later.

Andreas wrote:

> I'm currently looking for the Dwemer Puzzle Box in the Dwemer Ruins but
> still can't find it at the location mentioned in some Walkthroughs.

This is a common question, and I had exactly the same problem when I
played the main quest for the first time.

After entering the Dwemer ruins, you go down into a larger hall, which
has 3 exits on the side you are facing when you are coming down the
stairs from the entrance.
When you are facing those three exists, look to your left. You will see
a small path going upstairs. That's your way. This brings you to a level
above the three (obvious) exists which has an (unobvious) exist to your
left into a small room with some big guy with a big axe. The puzzle box
is there on a shelf.

> So what I'm now looking for is a way of locating the object
> within the game world of Morrowind. Is there a way of finding out the
> current location of the Puzzle Box in the game?

None that I know of which works with objects which might be in the
inventory of some merchant.
You can get "Morrowind Enchanted Editor" (ask Google, I dont have the
URL ready right now), which allows you to view a savegame and see if the
puzzle box was already loaded (if not you never entered that room), and
if yes shows you it's location. But following solution might be easier
and less hassle.

If you cannot find that puzzle box at all, you can create a second one
(and ignore the first if you ever happen to find it again later).

Type in console:

placeatpc misc_dwrv_ark_cube00 1, 0, 0

This drops one Dwemer Puzzle Box right on front of you. When you pick it
up, you should get a journal entry.

> Are the console commands of any help at all?

Yes. Not to locate that puzzle box, but otherwise the console is
extremely helpful.

> And: if the Puzzle Box is gone for good, is this quest relevant for the
> gameplay at all?

YES! This is the start for the main quest.

Peter

In article <cqpc8a$m8o$1@online.de>, Amun_Ra72@gmx.net says...
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently looking for the Dwemer Puzzle Box in the Dwemer Ruins but
> still can't find it at the location mentioned in some Walkthroughs.
> Unfortunately sometime earlier in the game I was exploring the Ruins for
> fun and might have taken the Puzzle Box without knowing what it was for and
> also might have placed it somewhere or sold it or whatever (bad thing to do,
> I know now...). So what I'm now looking for is a way of locating the object
> within the game world of Morrowind. Is there a way of finding out the
> current location of the Puzzle Box in the game? In the console there is a
> command named ORI, might this be of any help (how does it work?)?
> Are the console commands of any help at all?
> And: if the Puzzle Box is gone for good, is this quest relevant for the
> gameplay at all?
>
> Thanks for your help
> Andreas

If you're really unable to find the Dwemer Puzzle Box because you've
sold it off or lost it, you can add it to your player's inventory via
the console. Open the console and type in the following:

player -> additem misc_dwrv_ark_cube00 1

Be sure to type it in the console window exactly as it appears here.
--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain

> Spoilers....
>
> Well I don't won't to give to much away. But the puzzle box is not
> deep in the ruins. It's really easy to get to. After you taken out
> the bandits in the first chamber, look up. There is a second floor,
> with a door that leads the puzzle box. Take the puzzle cube back to
> the fighters guild. You can explore the rest of the Dwemer ruin later.

The main problem most people have with this quest is that there are two
entrances into the area where the Puzzle Box is found, and they're not
connected. (If you look at your map after finding the both sections, you
can see both rooms, even though there's no way to get from one to the other
without going around through other areas.) The way I found it was I noticed
on the map there was an extra little yellow square representing a door I
hadn't been to, and it turned out I was directly under it.

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> The main problem most people have with this quest is that there are two
> entrances into the area where the Puzzle Box is found, and they're not
> connected.

Not to be a nit-picker, but there is only one entrance to the room with
the PB.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:32:55 -0500, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
>> The main problem most people have with this quest is that there are two
>> entrances into the area where the Puzzle Box is found, and they're not
>> connected.
>
>Not to be a nit-picker, but there is only one entrance to the room with
>the PB.

He was referring to the fact that they're separate areas in the same
zone, which you can tell from the area title on the maps.

Greg Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:32:55 -0500, ToolPackinMama
> <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:
>

>>Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>>

>>>The main problem most people have with this quest is that there are two
>>>entrances into the area where the Puzzle Box is found, and they're not
>>>connected.
>>
>>Not to be a nit-picker, but there is only one entrance to the room with
>>the PB.
>

> He was referring to the fact that they're separate areas in the same
> zone, which you can tell from the area title on the maps.

Well, nevertheless, there is only one entrance... (etc.).

> Well, nevertheless, there is only one entrance... (etc.).

Well, the confusion generally stems from the fact that there are two rooms
with ostensibly the same name (since they're in the same map cell), but
they're not connected, and if you enter the wrong one, you may think you're
in the right place, since the name says you are, but you're really not.
Also, the wrong side of this map is much easier to find if you don't know
where to look, so people are more likely to find it first, and thus become
confused. (Technically, you could walk from one room to the other if you
used the "TCL" command in the console in order to walk through walls, though
that would decidedly be cheating.)

Andreas

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi again!

Thanks for your help! Still one question: as Peter and Robert have
mentioned console commands like "placeatpc" and "player -> additem",
which are not listed under "help" in the console: has anyone a good
URL with all possible console commands and how to use them?

Thanks again
Andreas

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
>> The main problem most people have with this quest is that there are
>> two entrances into the area where the Puzzle Box is found, and
>> they're not connected.
>
> Not to be a nit-picker, but there is only one entrance to the room
> with the PB.

Yep, but there ARE two entrances, stacked one on top the other.

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
>> Well, nevertheless, there is only one entrance... (etc.).
>
> Well, the confusion generally stems from the fact that there are two
> rooms with ostensibly the same name (since they're in the same map
> cell), but they're not connected, and if you enter the wrong one, you
> may think you're in the right place, since the name says you are, but
> you're really not. Also, the wrong side of this map is much easier to
> find if you don't know where to look, so people are more likely to
> find it first, and thus become confused. (Technically, you could
> walk from one room to the other if you used the "TCL" command in the
> console in order to walk through walls, though that would decidedly
> be cheating.)

Probably 99.5% of players pick the downstairs first even seeing while
coming down into the area there is a second level. It's easy to think
there will be a connected way to that level. Me, I explored the lower
entrances and areas inside first. Noted I never went up to that area.
Started looking for another way and found it. And like Lara in
Tombraider; "ah HA!" pleasing moment that with the puzzle box in hand
:)
McG.

Andreas wrote:

> Thanks for your help! Still one question: as Peter and Robert have
> mentioned console commands like "placeatpc" and "player -> additem",
> which are not listed under "help" in the console: has anyone a good
> URL with all possible console commands and how to use them?

TES Construction Set.hlp, which is found in the top Morrowind directory.
I think it's only present if you installed the construction set. Look at
Gameplay - Scripting - Functions.

The best resource for script commands (actually those commands you type
in the console are "mini-scripts") is "Morrowind Scripting Guide for
Dummies": http://thelys.org/mods/MSFD6.zip
It's huge, it's made for mod creators, but still quite helpful for
players to look something up.

As a sidenote, the suggested placeatpc and player->additem do basically
the same when used on an object, the only difference is the first drops
it in front of you and you need to pick it up, the latter adds it to
your inventory. So for the puzzle box, it makes no difference which one
to use.