RestrictAnonymous Problem!

jeff

Greetings everyone.
I have a Windows 2000 Server and I was testing to see if I could increase
its security on the web.
I modified the RestrictAnonymous key in the registry from 0 to 2.
When I rebooted, I could no longer browse the internet using Internet
explorer.
I changed the setting back to 0 in the registry, but when I rebooted, I
still could not browse the net.
It looks like even though I put the 0 back for RestrictAnonymous in the
registry, something permanent must have changed.
I did not do a recent backup of the registry before I made this change.
Is there any way to fix this problem now?
Thanks!

tsk tsk. Number 1 rule before editing registry, Back it up. :) Did you check
if the web service is up and running?

"Jeff" wrote:

> Greetings everyone.
> I have a Windows 2000 Server and I was testing to see if I could increase
> its security on the web.
> I modified the RestrictAnonymous key in the registry from 0 to 2.
> When I rebooted, I could no longer browse the internet using Internet
> explorer.
> I changed the setting back to 0 in the registry, but when I rebooted, I
> still could not browse the net.
> It looks like even though I put the 0 back for RestrictAnonymous in the
> registry, something permanent must have changed.
> I did not do a recent backup of the registry before I made this change.
> Is there any way to fix this problem now?
> Thanks!

jeff

Ya I know, shame on me :)
The web service was running.
I did notice that when I changed the Server's IP address, then I was able to
browse and ping the Internet again. But as soon as I reboot, all Internet
browsing is stopped again. Then I noticed if I just disabled the LAN on the
Server that is associated with the Network card, then immediately enabled it,
then it started working again, until after another reboot.
So it seems either the web service or some other service does not have the
needed "rights" to turn on internet browsing during boot up.
I just need to find out what that is :)
The server is now a test server since we are getting a brand new server for
our Web needs, but I would still like to know what happen.
Thanks!