Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

before I order...

  • Homebuilt
  • DVD Burner
  • Sound Cards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2006 12:40:00 PM

any suggestions/changes?

I was gonna add in a sound card and dvd burner but I think I'll wait on those. Can't afford x-fi and keep hearing bad news about the lower budget cards so meh...

The 1900xt seems hard to pass up due to the $100 rebate. I changed the ram cause the other ddr2-800 sold out that I was gonna get. The I listed now is cheaper and someone says it OC to 800 within the voltage limits on the warranty. Anyone know for sure on that?

Also I could get the 3800 proc instead to save a few bucks...Not sure if it's worth it to go to the 4200 but I would rather not OC unless it's gonna be stable for a long time. I can't afford to replace this stuff.

I would appreciate any insights...

More about : order

August 8, 2006 2:31:06 PM

im assuming you already have a cd-rom and case cause i dont see em there
August 8, 2006 2:45:53 PM

That's basically the same system I'm gonna build, not that I'm an expert or anything, but I forsee people saying to save some cash on the video card unless you really need to performance now. Reason being that it won't be too long until DX10 cards come out. So save the cash now and buy something newer later. That card is a pretty good deal though, but I'm going to buy an X850XT or a 7600gt and save more money and upgrade the card in 6 or more months.

I'm in the same boat about the processor, I'd rather buy the faster processor now, as it's only 30 bucks more.

Hope that helps.
Related resources
August 8, 2006 3:18:58 PM

yea i have a case and a cd burner.

Here's the deal. I don't plan to upgrade for another 2-2.5 years so I want something upgradable then so no phased out sockets or anything. Heard amd is likely to stick with sockets longer than pentium does and the amd is cheaper. But I dunno how true that is. I'm really having a hard time passing up such a good video card for so cheap. I was gonna get the x1800xt but that x1900xt is almost same price after rebate and I would like the 512mb for futureproofing. Anyways it's unlikely I'll upgrade when the dx10 cards come along so I'll need something to last until the next upgrade in 2-2.5 years which is why I'm wanting a top end card now.

Anyone wanna take a shot at a $1000 (before rebates) build for me. I would like to see what others come up with. I would just prefer to keep the x1900xt and some ram that will work as I don't have other ram to up voltages with. The rest is up for debate so have at it! :) 
August 8, 2006 3:43:08 PM

One of the basic premises for the Core launch was backward compatability for a long time to come. Companies kept complaining about how Intel would keep changing its sockets, so one of Intels big points about the Core architecture was that it will stay pretty much like this for a long time to go. Now, if between what Intel says and do will be a lot different, I don't know, but i believe a Core 2 will future-proof a lot better than AMD right now... RIGHT NOW... don't want any AMD fan-boys getting all over my case...

I doubt you need DX10 either, you'll be missing out on some graphics, but even when DX10 comes out, games that support DX10 will be out later than that anyways, probably at least a year or so. So at most you have a year of playing with a bit less graphics than the newer cards, but the loss won't be that big...

What I would be worried about are the advent of integrated physics processing engines on GPU's, or hybrid hard drives, both of which are coming soon... maybe within a year... sooner for physics, later for the hybrid...
August 8, 2006 3:54:49 PM

@doughboy: are you suggesting a sli board so i have the extra slot for physics card or something like that? I don't know much about this physics gpu talk...