Greater than Gigabit speeds over Copper

Are there any draft plans for speeds greater than Gigabit over copper? Are
there any specifications in the works to use Cat6 cabling?

Thanks.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Lucas Tam wrote:

> Are there any draft plans for speeds greater than Gigabit over copper? Are
> there any specifications in the works to use Cat6 cabling?-

There's 10 gig over copper in the works, but don't know the details.

So far there is nothing in the works that will _require_ CAT6 except a few
pipe dreams by the cable manufacturers.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
>Are there any draft plans for speeds greater than Gigabit over copper?

Not that you couldn't, but why would you need to? [I won't say
there's no point, someone can always come up with some use for extra
bandwidth, but most places can't even use the full bandwidth of
100BaseT to the desktop today, so gigabit is overkill...]

Wouldn't fiber be the next step up?

--
William Smith

In article <s06l70h49i78he414h412upjrmnsskco5e@4ax.com>, William P.N.
Smith <> says...
> Not that you couldn't, but why would you need to? [I won't say
> there's no point, someone can always come up with some use for extra
> bandwidth, but most places can't even use the full bandwidth of
> 100BaseT to the desktop today, so gigabit is overkill...]
>
> Wouldn't fiber be the next step up?

In datacenters, 10G or higher makes sense as people collapse more and
more servers to a centralized super-servers. IT business is cyclical
and the MF like functionality is coming back.

Copper 10G is important because it's easy to roll it in data centers.
Fiber is much more of a hassle.

--

hsb

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:43:44 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
wrote:

>Are there any draft plans for speeds greater than Gigabit over copper? Are
>there any specifications in the works to use Cat6 cabling?
>
>Thanks.

10GE over twinaxial was approved recently:
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0227gig.html

I read somewhere that there's an IEEE study group looking into 10GE
over standard UTP.

-Terry

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94C8DCF6BDC1Enntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>...
> Are there any draft plans for speeds greater than Gigabit over copper? Are
> there any specifications in the works to use Cat6 cabling?
>
> Thanks.

You might be able to get some information that is publicly
available on this at:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/an/index.html.

Hansang Bae wrote:

>>Not that you couldn't, but why would you need to? [I won't say
>>there's no point, someone can always come up with some use for extra
>>bandwidth, but most places can't even use the full bandwidth of
>>100BaseT to the desktop today, so gigabit is overkill...]

>>Wouldn't fiber be the next step up?

> In datacenters, 10G or higher makes sense as people collapse more and
> more servers to a centralized super-servers. IT business is cyclical
> and the MF like functionality is coming back.

Within a datacenter, though it might still be a little fast for
most machines today. You can then run it through a switch
with gigabit to the clients.

> Copper 10G is important because it's easy to roll it in data centers.
> Fiber is much more of a hassle.

There might also be a short distance standard like 1000baseCX,
not that I ever knew anyone to use that.

-- glen

In article <XrHec.23768$wP1.54064@attbi_s54>, gah@ugcs.caltech.edu says...
> Within a datacenter, though it might still be a little fast for
> most machines today. You can then run it through a switch
> with gigabit to the clients.

Not 10G for the servers, but for switch to switch connections. As you
add more 1Gig capable servers to switches, they start to need bigger
pipes to talk to the rest of the world. Our OSA (GigE) connections, as
well as shared server segments (will very soon) need bigger up links.
Gig Etherchannel and the like are becoming a hassle.

--

hsb

Hansang Bae <uonr@alp.ee.pbz> writes:

>> Hansang Bae wrote:
>> > In datacenters, 10G or higher makes sense as people collapse more and
>> > more servers to a centralized super-servers. IT business is cyclical
>> > and the MF like functionality is coming back.

>In article <XrHec.23768$wP1.54064@attbi_s54>, gah@ugcs.caltech.edu says...
>> Within a datacenter, though it might still be a little fast for
>> most machines today. You can then run it through a switch
>> with gigabit to the clients.

>Not 10G for the servers, but for switch to switch connections. As you
>add more 1Gig capable servers to switches, they start to need bigger
>pipes to talk to the rest of the world. Our OSA (GigE) connections, as
>well as shared server segments (will very soon) need bigger up links.
>Gig Etherchannel and the like are becoming a hassle.

I can confirm that point of view / direction of development for our datacenter.
However, we already run fibre for switch-switch connections, and I don't see
a need to change this when we upgrade the interswitch links to 10GE. Once
we need to do that upgrade, the port density of GE aggregation switches
will be high enough to amortize the fibre cost over their ports, same as
it is now with our 100baseT aggregation.

To me copper 10GE can only make sense where existing wiring is CAT5 only,
and the cost to run fibre would be very high due to local constraints.
Maybe large buildings wired CAT5 only, where no more room to run new
cables between floors exists, and the old cables would need to be
replaced / disentangled? Dunno, in our vertical cabling between floors,
we ran fibre along with copper in the first place.

best regards
Patrick

William P.N. Smith <> wrote in news:s06l70h49i78he414h412upjrmnsskco5e@
4ax.com:

> Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
>>Are there any draft plans for speeds greater than Gigabit over copper?

> Wouldn't fiber be the next step up?

Exactly, that's what I thought. I was having a convo on another forums
about the so-called benefits of Cat6 : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)