User Authentication for IIS and nslookup

Hi, I have a 2000 Server, not Advanced Server, but I don't think it will
matter with the questions I have.

1st question:
I have several websites running on one of my servers. I need to add a site
that requires user to login to access it. So far all sites allow anonymous
access.
The problem is that I want the user to authenticate using their domain,
which will not necessarily be the primary domain of the DC.
e.g.. The server is a BDC for domain 'pseudodomain.com', which hosts
multiple websites for multiple domains. I have a secondary site called
'otherdomain.com' and wish to add new site 'admin.otherdomain.com' which
will require user to login. I have setup the domain and the password prompt
box appears, but it will only authenticate users from the 'pseudodomain.com'
domain.
What is the correct way to do what I want?

2nd question:
When I add new website to server, I use DNS to add host info. Then whenever
I use nslookup to do reverse lookup, it will always return the last added
domain instead of the primary domain, which is how I want it. How do I
specify that whenever a reverse lookup is done for the IP of the webserver,
it will always return a specific domain?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give me!

--ScareCrowe
1 answer Last reply
More about user authentication nslookup

    Hello ScareCrowe,

    Thank you for using newsgroup!

    For your request, I can only provide you with the following information for
    your reference:

    For the 1st question:

    Configuring User Authentication (IIS 6.0)
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/
    a5dfb924-5bc1-42bf-b874-08468f792f95.mspx>

    Configuring Integrated Windows Authentication in IIS 6.0 (IIS 6.0)
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/
    5f8fe119-4095-4094-bba5-7dec361c7afe.mspx>

    For the 2nd question:

    Reverse lookup
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/wind
    ows2000/en/advanced/help/sag_DNS_und_ReverseLookup.htm>

    Adding a Reverse Lookup Zone
    <http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit
    /en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/e
    n-us/cnet/cncf_imp_dewg.asp>

    Hope that helps!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Ken Zhao

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
    Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
    Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
    code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
    secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    information, please go to:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    4662

    --------------------
    | From: "ScareCrowe" <nospam@nospam.com>
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
    | Subject: User Authentication for IIS and nslookup
    | Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:25:02 -0500
    |
    | Hi, I have a 2000 Server, not Advanced Server, but I don't think it will
    | matter with the questions I have.
    |
    | 1st question:
    | I have several websites running on one of my servers. I need to add a site
    | that requires user to login to access it. So far all sites allow anonymous
    | access.
    | The problem is that I want the user to authenticate using their domain,
    | which will not necessarily be the primary domain of the DC.
    | e.g.. The server is a BDC for domain 'pseudodomain.com', which hosts
    | multiple websites for multiple domains. I have a secondary site called
    | 'otherdomain.com' and wish to add new site 'admin.otherdomain.com' which
    | will require user to login. I have setup the domain and the password
    prompt
    | box appears, but it will only authenticate users from the
    'pseudodomain.com'
    | domain.
    | What is the correct way to do what I want?
    |
    | 2nd question:
    | When I add new website to server, I use DNS to add host info. Then
    whenever
    | I use nslookup to do reverse lookup, it will always return the last added
    | domain instead of the primary domain, which is how I want it. How do I
    | specify that whenever a reverse lookup is done for the IP of the
    webserver,
    | it will always return a specific domain?
    |
    | Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give me!
    |
    | --ScareCrowe

Domain Authentication Servers Windows