Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
August 8, 2006 2:19:27 PM

My system before:
- ABIT IS7 Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
- Intel Pentium 4 2.6C Northwood 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model
- CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2 - Retail
- SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600XT 128M Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM
- 160GB HDD
- 350W PSU

My system upgraded:
- MB ASUS A8N-E NF4U 939 - Retail (Mobo)
- CPU AMD|A64 3800+ 2.4G 939 512K R - Retail
- VGA SAPHRE X1800XT 256MB 100154% - OEM
- PSU ROSEWILL RP500-2 RETAIL - Retail (500W PSU)
- SAME RAM, HDD, DVD Drive, CD-RW Drive

So I just got my new parts for my computer: 500W PSU, 3800+ AMD, ATi x1800X, and a new motherboard. I installed everything, but neglected to put a standoff/screw in the corner of the motherboard near the part where the mobo power cord+ IDE cables go into the motherboard. I am thinking I may have touched the mobo to the chasis while plugging those things in somewhat forcefully. The entire time the computer was unplugged though. I don't think that the right corner of the motheboard getting pushed into the chasis for a couple seconds would matter would it? I had already replaced this same motherboard thinking I ruined the first one, but I get the same problem. I was more careful this time, and I'm quite sure I installed it safely.

I put in my XP Home OEM CD, and as soon as it gets to the part in Windows Setup saying "Windows Starting" or whatever where it gets to the point where it allows you to reformat, the blue hardware screen comes up and gives me an 0x0000008E error. I tried testing each stick of RAM seperatly (2 sticks of 512MB), I tried using my 40GB HDD instead of my 160GB HDD, and I still got the same problem each time. I really doubt it is my brand new 3800+ or my x1800XT giving me this problem. Do you?

After this, I tried to just go back to my regular old system for the time being and everything worked fine through setup (although I think I ruined my 9600XT because I get wierd graphics glitches randomly). Thus, this should mean the RAM and HDD cannot be the culprit since I used them in my new system as well giving me the blue hardware screen. Although, when I did look up 0x0000008E on microsoft.com it said it was a memory (RAM) error. I'm not sure how reliable those error messages are.

First off, is everything I'm trying to install compatable?

What should I try? I have some spare RAM but it isn't PC32000 and it wouldn't be compatatble with the motherboard/CPU.

More about : blue hardware screen setup

August 8, 2006 3:51:17 PM

I will try this memory test.

I bought the Windows XP Home CD from Circuit City for like $200 so I believe it is all I need, right?
Related resources
August 8, 2006 4:14:59 PM

Did you make sure your bios is updated?
August 8, 2006 5:00:29 PM

Test your RAM. You may need to adjust the RAM timings and/or voltage to get it to pass without errors.
August 10, 2006 6:17:42 PM

Alright, I sent it in to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they suggested that it was the CPU. They said it was overheating a bit (not too seriously) but they thought it was the culprit since the HDD and RAM tests showed they weren't the problem.

What do you guys think? When I get this new CPU what things should I definitely do to make sure I properly install the CPU? I know I put the arrow in the correct corner - but what about the heatsink? Is thermal paste needed? I've never used it before..
August 10, 2006 6:55:41 PM

Quote:
Alright, I sent it in to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they suggested that it was the CPU. They said it was overheating a bit (not too seriously) but they thought it was the culprit since the HDD and RAM tests showed they weren't the problem.

What do you guys think? When I get this new CPU what things should I definitely do to make sure I properly install the CPU? I know I put the arrow in the correct corner - but what about the heatsink? Is thermal paste needed? I've never used it before..
First Geek Squad and now no thermal paste?!?! 8O
August 10, 2006 6:57:10 PM

Who tested the RAM? You or Geek Squad?

If they removed the heatsink from the CPU then they must replace the thermal pad/paste.

If you remove it then you will need to replace it. You can probably pick some up from BestBuy or CompUSA. Clean off the old thermal material thoroughly with 90% or better rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Both of which can be bought at any drugstore. Apply new stuff per the directions of the product you bought.

I doubt the CPU is the problem though.
August 10, 2006 8:58:25 PM

Quote:
First of all, he said that he never installed thermal paste in the first place.

As well he wouldn't have needed to installing a retail A64 CPU/HSU because it has a thermal interface material already applied to the HSU.

Quote:
Second, you should use a lint free cloth when cleaning the surface (ie. a coffee filter). A q-tip will leave behind fibers that will insulate the CPU, hindering thermal transfer.

I can agree with you on this. I'll also bring it up the next time I'm in NCR's shop.
August 10, 2006 9:22:45 PM

My hunch is it maybe driver related, if hes using a reg XP-Home Edition, that is if the HSF installation is okay.

Do you guys think he might be better off trying to run something like BartPE, streamlined with SP2?
August 10, 2006 10:02:44 PM

It could be. I've had problems using XP CDs w/SP2 on them but only with RAID setups.
!