Best AGP card still available?

Deslock

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Ok.. my plans for a complete overhaul have been put on haitus due to haveing to get new storm windows installed.. so.. I need a new gfx card at the least.. I'm stuck with AGP at the moment, so.. opinions?

And really unless he pays the premium to get a Gaionward, the results will be a little lackluster compared to the PCIe options.

So the two best options IMO are get a mid range, save the money to go into the next build when you can do it right.

OR

If Deslock has a S754/939/940 or S775 CPU then he could also get a PCIe equipped version of his mobo with a GF7600GT or X1800GTO/XT and still come out ahead.

Deslock

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
hmm, here's what I'm runnin atm
2800+
MSI K7N-2
1 GB Corsair
Herc GTXP
Pixelview-FX5600 128
WD1200JB
everything I've found has told me that I can't transplant my cpu (barton) into a pcie board...& I cant graba new cpu, board & card.. so am kinda stuck :?

Yep athlons are kinda no options (limited options for S478 [which is why I didn't bother incluiding them either]).

So that being the case, lookf for those cards up above, because the top of the line GF7800GS is usually way WAY overpriced, and unless you get a gainward it's going to be a crippled card compared to the PCIe versions.

So look at those cards listed, and then put the saving into your next rig.

ALSO IMO anything more than those VPUs I listed will likely be slightly hamstrung by your CPU anyways, so the mid-range makes alot of sense overall too.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I recently had the same problem. Finally I bought an ASUS 6800 gs to replace my old ATi 9600 pro. The good thing about it that it has a very nice price drop. The even better thing is that you can unlock another set of 4 pixel pipelines and 1 extra vertex shader (agp only thing) and you go to 16 and 6 total! Then you o'c and tada!!! you have a 6800 GT with NO extra cost at all. Then you flash the bios with the unlocked pipelines and new freq. and you are good to go!!!

the best bang for your cash is a 7800gs

Far from it. :roll:

It's overpriced which was the whole point. The only good priced GSs are the refurbs;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130045

And even then it's still a crippled GS, so it's not great, but at least far better price than anything close to MSRP.

Far too often it's better to simply save the money and then spend it when you build a PCIe rig. I don't like waiting but I like the GS even less.

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I got a second hand 6800GT with a Zalman ZF700 (think that's what it's called) for £100. Worked pretty well, big boost in games over my old 9800 and can be overclocked if necessary to beyong 6800U speeds. Retail options at the time were X850Pro/6800GS for £150, and 7800GS for £190, which was really beyond the budget I was willing to spend on a S478 system. So, I'm pretty happy with the performance for a machine over 3yrs old.
Synergy6

randomizer

Champion
I recently had the same problem. Finally I bought an ASUS 6800 gs to replace my old ATi 9600 pro. The good thing about it that it has a very nice price drop. The even better thing is that you can unlock another set of 4 pixel pipelines and 1 extra vertex shader (agp only thing) and you go to 16 and 6 total! Then you o'c and tada!!! you have a 6800 GT with NO extra cost at all. Then you flash the bios with the unlocked pipelines and new freq. and you are good to go!!!

Only if the pixel pipelines and vertex shader are actually 100% functional and intact which they often arent.