CompUSA closing over half of its stores

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
CompUSA today announced plans to close 126 stores in the United States, leaving the computer retailer with 103 stores spread across 39 states and Puerto Rico. The process began last week with the closing of four stores and the rest will be shuttered in between 60 and 90 days.

Never been a big fan of CompUSA, since they always required multiple rebates to get a competitive price, and they're always out of items I'm looking for - on sale or not.

Their store list has already been updated. If your local store isn't on it, they're closing.
http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think tey are just another example of bad business modeling. The past several years, they have had less and less component and software selection, and more monitors, printers and routers. They seemed to want to be in between a Fry's/Mircocenter and Best Buy/Circuit City - with the price and selection of none of the above.

The worst national retailer I ever saw, with the most dated selections and highest prices - was Egghead Software. They wound up closing all of their stores, moved to on-line only with a new price-structure, and became newegg. I wonder if it's too late for ComUSA to try something similar.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Ah, Egghead. I remember when that closed down too. I was too young at the time to realize they didn't have great deals. They were geek paradise to a pre-teen developer.

Strangley enough, the next g.p. was CompUSA. :? And Incredible Universe. 8O If I had another favorite geek store right now, I'd be worried.

Edit: Fry's is next. :wink:

asif2k

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
Fry's is the reason CompUSA is shutting down. I think Circuit City, Best Buy are next because of Fry's and possibly Wal-Mart. :D

Catmoves

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
:) I couldn't care less. A few years ago I visited a CompUSA store to enquire about a replacement mouse. I found two identical looking, same manufacturer, units side by side. One was grayish, the other silver. I asked the young gentleman who was in that department why the silver mouse was almost twice the price of the gray mouse. They look alike, I pointed out. He picked them up, turned them over inspecting the units and gave me a classic reply: "Uh, I dunno. There's probably more stuff in the silver one." I returned to the cashier and told her I wanted to speak to someone who worked in that department. Her answer? "Oh, everybody works every department here. We all know the answers." That was the last time I ever visited a CompUSA store.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Fry's is the reason CompUSA is shutting down. I think Circuit City, Best Buy are next because of Fry's and possibly Wal-Mart. :D

I checked out Fry's for a software utility (Spysweeper). Had a good price and nice rebates - but for a $25 disc, they wanted almost $8 shipping. Screw that.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
It's Fry's' retail presence that's causing CompUSA to shut so many stores. Just after the CompUSA near me moved to a bigger space, a Fry's came in next to where CompUSA used to be. That CompUSA closed last year.

Their online isn't anything special.

Mike.

asif2k

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007

I forgot to mention that I maybe wrong. This is not a fact, just my opinion. maybe newegg, tigerdirect, and geeks.com are giving better deals online. So, I apologize if i was not very clear about what i said. So, we will see what will happen to other retail giants. :roll:

asif2k

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
It's Fry's' retail presence that's causing CompUSA to shut so many stores. Just after the CompUSA near me moved to a bigger space, a Fry's came in next to where CompUSA used to be. That CompUSA closed last year.

Their online isn't anything special.

Mike.

ur answer is much better than mine. That is exactly what i meant to say. I was not very clear about my working. I speak english as an second language and I am taking courses to improve my english.

See? I'm essential to your survival.

To be truthful I never really cared about the vote option before. But when I'm giving valid, truthful advice to someone and its given a one star by some cowardly noob, it makes helping people that much harder since they are going to think I'm giving bad advice.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
star_on.gif
star_off.gif
star_off.gif
star_on.gif
star_off.gif

Almost found it...

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
To be fair to the "n00bs" - this is THG's fault. It does say "Good" next to the one star. I think many are trying to say that it is a "Good" answer, not knowing that people take it as being rated poor.

They really need to change the rating descriptions.