Cannot delete file

My brother has a file on his Desktop that contains the
win32mersting trojan, and cannot be deleted.

Is it possible to delete this file using cmd.exe from Start > Run command?
If so, can you please give details as to how he can do it?

Am using Windows ME myself, so have no experience of cmd.exe in XP.

Many thanks

Josh
9 answers Last reply
More about cannot delete file

    He could try doing it from Safe Mode. Boot the system, start tapping F8,
    when the menu appears, select Safe Mode and press enter.

    If that fails to resolve it, have him go to the following website,
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, scroll to line 39, click
    "Delete an Undeletable File in Windows XP" in the right column.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > My brother has a file on his Desktop that contains the
    > win32mersting trojan, and cannot be deleted.
    >
    > Is it possible to delete this file using cmd.exe from Start > Run command?
    > If so, can you please give details as to how he can do it?
    >
    > Am using Windows ME myself, so have no experience of cmd.exe in XP.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >

    > Josh

    What message does he get when he tries to delete it? Could it be a
    antivirus program stating this file is infected and not letting you use it,
    or does it say the file is in use. If the file is in use he will have to do
    some research at www.sarc.com and find out how to remove the Trojan.

    --
    Eric Renken
    Microsoft Associate Expert.

    "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > My brother has a file on his Desktop that contains the
    > win32mersting trojan, and cannot be deleted.
    >
    > Is it possible to delete this file using cmd.exe from Start > Run command?
    > If so, can you please give details as to how he can do it?
    >
    > Am using Windows ME myself, so have no experience of cmd.exe in XP.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >

    > Josh

    Eric

    I believe the Trojan removes various permissions, which stops
    the user reading the file, and being unable to delete it.

    It is *not* the AV (EZ Armour) denying access.

    I have been told that the file can be deleted using cmd.exe,
    and that I need to remove the 'Read only' attributes,
    but am not sure how to go about this!

    Bear in mind I do not have XP, and I need to explain all steps
    to my brother over the phone.
    Many thanks.

    Josh Red

    *Eric Renken* has posted this message:

    > What message does he get when he tries to delete it? Could it be a
    > antivirus program stating this file is infected and not letting you
    > use it, or does it say the file is in use. If the file is in use he
    > will have to do some research at www.sarc.com and find out how to
    > remove the Trojan.
    >
    > --
    > Eric Renken
    > Microsoft Associate Expert.
    > Expert Zone
    >

    > "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> My brother has a file on his Desktop that contains the
    >> win32mersting trojan, and cannot be deleted.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to delete this file using cmd.exe from Start > Run
    >> command? If so, can you please give details as to how he can do it?
    >>
    >> Am using Windows ME myself, so have no experience of cmd.exe in XP.
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>

    >> Josh

    CMD won;t delete it. It's either in use in which case rename, reboot, delete, or if it is permissions then type Taking Ownership in help and read very carefully. If you skim it, then it probably won't work.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:u7o%23gAJsEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Eric
    >
    > I believe the Trojan removes various permissions, which stops
    > the user reading the file, and being unable to delete it.
    >
    > It is *not* the AV (EZ Armour) denying access.
    >
    > I have been told that the file can be deleted using cmd.exe,
    > and that I need to remove the 'Read only' attributes,
    > but am not sure how to go about this!
    >
    > Bear in mind I do not have XP, and I need to explain all steps
    > to my brother over the phone.
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Josh Red
    >

    > *Eric Renken* has posted this message:
    >
    >> What message does he get when he tries to delete it? Could it be a
    >> antivirus program stating this file is infected and not letting you
    >> use it, or does it say the file is in use. If the file is in use he
    >> will have to do some research at www.sarc.com and find out how to
    >> remove the Trojan.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Eric Renken
    >> Microsoft Associate Expert.
    >> Expert Zone
    >>

    >> "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> My brother has a file on his Desktop that contains the
    >>> win32mersting trojan, and cannot be deleted.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to delete this file using cmd.exe from Start > Run
    >>> command? If so, can you please give details as to how he can do it?
    >>>
    >>> Am using Windows ME myself, so have no experience of cmd.exe in XP.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks
    >>>

    >>> Josh

    The link to take ownership of a file is:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    CMD won;t delete it. It's either in use in which case rename, reboot,
    delete, or if it is permissions then type Taking Ownership in help and read
    very carefully. If you skim it, then it probably won't work.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Eric
    >
    > I believe the Trojan removes various permissions, which stops
    > the user reading the file, and being unable to delete it.
    >
    > It is *not* the AV (EZ Armour) denying access.
    >
    > I have been told that the file can be deleted using cmd.exe,
    > and that I need to remove the 'Read only' attributes,
    > but am not sure how to go about this!
    >
    > Bear in mind I do not have XP, and I need to explain all steps
    > to my brother over the phone.
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Josh Red
    >

    > *Eric Renken* has posted this message:
    >
    >> What message does he get when he tries to delete it? Could it be a
    >> antivirus program stating this file is infected and not letting you
    >> use it, or does it say the file is in use. If the file is in use he
    >> will have to do some research at www.sarc.com and find out how to
    >> remove the Trojan.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Eric Renken
    >> Microsoft Associate Expert.
    >> Expert Zone
    >>

    >> "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> My brother has a file on his Desktop that contains the
    >>> win32mersting trojan, and cannot be deleted.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to delete this file using cmd.exe from Start > Run
    >>> command? If so, can you please give details as to how he can do it?
    >>>
    >>> Am using Windows ME myself, so have no experience of cmd.exe in XP.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks
    >>>

    >>> Josh

    No it's not. Are you totally stupid. It's in the help files you liar.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message news:uZXNK4LsEHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > The link to take ownership of a file is:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
    >
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > CMD won;t delete it. It's either in use in which case rename, reboot,
    > delete, or if it is permissions then type Taking Ownership in help and read
    > very carefully. If you skim it, then it probably won't work.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Eric
    >>
    >> I believe the Trojan removes various permissions, which stops
    >> the user reading the file, and being unable to delete it.
    >>
    >> It is *not* the AV (EZ Armour) denying access.
    >>
    >> I have been told that the file can be deleted using cmd.exe,
    >> and that I need to remove the 'Read only' attributes,
    >> but am not sure how to go about this!
    >>
    >> Bear in mind I do not have XP, and I need to explain all steps
    >> to my brother over the phone.
    >> Many thanks.
    >>
    >> Josh Red
    >>

    >> *Eric Renken* has posted this message:
    >>
    >>> What message does he get when he tries to delete it? Could it be a
    >>> antivirus program stating this file is infected and not letting you
    >>> use it, or does it say the file is in use. If the file is in use he
    >>> will have to do some research at www.sarc.com and find out how to
    >>> remove the Trojan.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Eric Renken
    >>> Microsoft Associate Expert.
    >>> Expert Zone
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>>

    >>> "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message

    Are you sick?

    No it's not. Are you totally stupid. It's in the help files you liar.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > The link to take ownership of a file is:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
    >
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > CMD won;t delete it. It's either in use in which case rename, reboot,
    > delete, or if it is permissions then type Taking Ownership in help and
    > read
    > very carefully. If you skim it, then it probably won't work.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Eric
    >>
    >> I believe the Trojan removes various permissions, which stops
    >> the user reading the file, and being unable to delete it.
    >>
    >> It is *not* the AV (EZ Armour) denying access.
    >>
    >> I have been told that the file can be deleted using cmd.exe,
    >> and that I need to remove the 'Read only' attributes,
    >> but am not sure how to go about this!
    >>
    >> Bear in mind I do not have XP, and I need to explain all steps
    >> to my brother over the phone.
    >> Many thanks.
    >>
    >> Josh Red
    >>

    >> *Eric Renken* has posted this message:
    >>
    >>> What message does he get when he tries to delete it? Could it be a
    >>> antivirus program stating this file is infected and not letting you
    >>> use it, or does it say the file is in use. If the file is in use he
    >>> will have to do some research at www.sarc.com and find out how to
    >>> remove the Trojan.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Eric Renken
    >>> Microsoft Associate Expert.
    >>> Expert Zone
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>>

    >>> "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message

    Don't butt into my threads with lies.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message news:O19PwHNsEHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Are you sick?
    >
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > No it's not. Are you totally stupid. It's in the help files you liar.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> The link to take ownership of a file is:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> CMD won;t delete it. It's either in use in which case rename, reboot,
    >> delete, or if it is permissions then type Taking Ownership in help and
    >> read
    >> very carefully. If you skim it, then it probably won't work.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Eric
    >>>
    >>> I believe the Trojan removes various permissions, which stops
    >>> the user reading the file, and being unable to delete it.
    >>>
    >>> It is *not* the AV (EZ Armour) denying access.
    >>>
    >>> I have been told that the file can be deleted using cmd.exe,
    >>> and that I need to remove the 'Read only' attributes,
    >>> but am not sure how to go about this!
    >>>
    >>> Bear in mind I do not have XP, and I need to explain all steps
    >>> to my brother over the phone.
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Josh Red
    >>>

    >>> *Eric Renken* has posted this message:

    You could drive at your IQ and never get a speeding ticket (even in a school
    zone).

    Don't butt into my threads with lies.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Are you sick?
    >
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > No it's not. Are you totally stupid. It's in the help files you liar.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> The link to take ownership of a file is:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> CMD won;t delete it. It's either in use in which case rename, reboot,
    >> delete, or if it is permissions then type Taking Ownership in help and
    >> read
    >> very carefully. If you skim it, then it probably won't work.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Josh Red" <jr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Eric
    >>>
    >>> I believe the Trojan removes various permissions, which stops
    >>> the user reading the file, and being unable to delete it.
    >>>
    >>> It is *not* the AV (EZ Armour) denying access.
    >>>
    >>> I have been told that the file can be deleted using cmd.exe,
    >>> and that I need to remove the 'Read only' attributes,
    >>> but am not sure how to go about this!
    >>>
    >>> Bear in mind I do not have XP, and I need to explain all steps
    >>> to my brother over the phone.
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Josh Red
    >>>

    >>> *Eric Renken* has posted this message: