Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte SATA2 Controller

Last response: in Motherboards
August 8, 2006 3:11:56 PM

Hello. This is my first post here on this site.

I do have a 965-DQ6 (first Gigabyte Mobo I own) and I see that it has her own SATA 2 controller.
Is there any performance improvement using this SATA connectors instead of those linked to the Southbridge chipset (ICH8R)?

Thanks in advance.
August 14, 2006 6:34:22 AM

No, you're wrong.

GA-965P-DQ6 mobo can have up to 8 SATA devices. 6 of them are managed by the southbridge, while the other 2 are under the Gigabyte SATA2 controller.

Anyway, thanks for your reply
August 20, 2006 12:30:56 AM

no all the ports are the same. DQ6 is a great board. and yeah he is right there are 6 thru southbridge and 2 more through another controller that also controlls the PATA since the ICH8 dosent have PATA support.
Related resources
August 20, 2006 5:43:00 AM

Hello.

As said before, the ICH8R manages 6 out of 8 SATA ports. 2 of them are under the Gigabyte's SATA 2 Controller.

About performance, Gigabyte's Support Site states that both controllers are built under the same specifications. Hence, no difference between them.

Best regards.
August 20, 2006 11:35:22 AM

Quote:
If I told you the difference in performance between ICH8-R and the JMicron controller on DQ6 you wouldn't understand anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure If I can understand the differences. However, what I'm sure of, it's the fact that if you don't tell me which are they, I won't be able never ever.

Thanks and best regards.
April 2, 2007 9:44:50 PM

I have a 965P-DS4. The Gigabyte controller supports JBOD (combine multiple physical disks into single larger volume), the ICH8R doesn't.
!