How can a Domain have 2 domain names? Can anyone offer an ..

hand

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005

Group,

I've accepted a position with a small consulting company and I find
myself going to different customer sites on a daily basis.

There are two domains that I find somewhat confusing. The first one
is a NT 4.0 domain. When you join a system to the domain I'm using
Sterling but there is no zone for this name. There is a zone for
aeccorporate.com (registered domain name I believe). How can this be?

The second one is similiar but different names and it's on a Windows
2000 domain.

How can the name translation work and why is this so? My searches
online have come up empty. There has to be a simple explanation.

Thanks,

Hand

First, NT4 doesn't need DNS. Period.

Second, when an AD domain doesn't match the DNS Zone for the domain it is called
a disjoint namespace and is fully supported.

joe

www.joeware.net