Sign in with
Your question

What to replace?

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2006 3:36:28 PM

My graphic card just broke on my current computer and I have a low budget this time around to fix the problem. I'm a student and really would not like to go too overboard on this and have placed myself a 300$ budget limit on the replacements/upgrade.

I use my computer mainly for World of Warcraft, or only that, when using my old computer i'd go as low as 18 fps and am wondering if this is the perfect occasion to change some pieces in order to increase my game performances.

Should I change my mobo under my current budget in order to get a PCI-E graphic card?

My old pc was the following:

Ati radeon 9800 pro 128 mb (agp) <---busted
NF7-S v2.0 (EDIT: this card doesnt have a PCI-E slot)
1gb ram pc-3200 ddr400
AMD 2800+

120 gb hard drive 2mb buffer something
dvd/cd-burner/dvd-burner and all those pretty things
430W supply power by Thermaltake

So for up to 300$ what should i get in order to either replace my old parts or upgrade them?

You've been a great help when I first built this computer and I look forward to your opinions as you've always helped my greatly in my decisions,

Thanks,

Khan

More about : replace

August 9, 2006 1:40:19 AM

For this kind of situation, I'd try to find someone who is upgrading to a PCIex MB and so selling his current AGP graphics board. You ought to be able to get something decent for $50 (maybe ebay?); then save the rest of your money for a major core2 duo build in about 6 months, when compatible MBs will be plentiful and cheaper.
Related resources
!