Percentage of switched vs. non-switched Ethernet Networks ..

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

Hi,

Question 1: Overall, do switched ethernet networks dominate non-switched
ethernet networks? (I'm assuming YES)

Question 2: Does anybody know where I could find some quantitative data that
answers question 1?

Thanks.

Christian M. Netter

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

In article <gwgfc.324$eO6.26@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
Chris <netter06108@yahoo.com> wrote:
:Question 1: Overall, do switched ethernet networks dominate non-switched
:ethernet networks? (I'm assuming YES)

'dominate' in what sense? Number of ports? Number of units sold?
Number of models available? Annual sales? Total bandwidth? Efficiency?
Latency? And in what market are we talking about?

:Question 2: Does anybody know where I could find some quantitative data that
:answers question 1?

You might find it easier to start the other way around, by defining
the characteristics that make an ethernet network non-switched,
and looking for some sales figures on the kinds of devices that have
those characteristics.
--
Most Windows users will run any old attachment you send them, so if
you want to implicate someone you can just send them a Trojan

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

I'm mostly interested in number of hub-ports vs. number of switch-ports out
there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2 and 3 managed and
unmanaged.

Chris.

In article <x6ifc.361$4L7.255@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
Chris <netter06108@yahoo.com> top-posted:
:I'm mostly interested in number of hub-ports vs. number of switch-ports out
:there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2 and 3 managed and
:unmanaged.

What about 'fibre channel hub'?

In any case, there are organizations that sell this kind of
information. For example,

http://techlibrary.banktech.com/data/rlist?t=pd_10_30_10_20_10&orgtypegrp=ANALYST
--
Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
they see in .signatures.

Chris wrote:

> I'm mostly interested in number of hub-ports vs. number of switch-ports out
> there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2 and 3 managed and
> unmanaged.

(snip)

Active ports only, or all ports?

There may be many 24 port repeaters with only a few ports used.

Do you also count repeaters sitting in surplus shops?

-- glen

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

"Chris" <netter06108@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I'm mostly interested in number of hub-ports vs. number of
> switch-ports out there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2
> and 3 managed and unmanaged.

Home networks? Business networks?

A lot of home networks are now switched, and that's a lot of ports! : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

To further clarify this:

I'm mostly interested in number of ACTIVE hub-ports vs. number of ACTIVE
switch-ports out
there. In this context, switch shall include layer 2 and 3 managed and
unmanaged. I am mostly
interested in office/business environments (including small businesses)
public environments like
hospitals & schools and government buildings.

We have a distributed system, consisting of between 1 and hundreds of
devices (on average 40 devices)
all streaming data at a rate of 2Mbit/sec each to 1 or more servers. If I
can make the assumption that most
networks out there are switched, than I believe I don't have much of a
bandwidth problem.

Does CISCO have any information like this on their website? Basically, I
believe switched networks
are today the norm, rather than an exception, and I need to convince my
manager.

Chris.

"Chris" <netter06108@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Question 1: Overall, do switched ethernet networks dominate non-switched
> ethernet networks? (I'm assuming YES)
>
> Question 2: Does anybody know where I could find some quantitative data
that
> answers question 1?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Christian M. Netter

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

"Chris" <netter06108@yahoo.com> wrote:
>We have a distributed system, consisting of between 1 and hundreds of
>devices (on average 40 devices)
>all streaming data at a rate of 2Mbit/sec each to 1 or more servers. If I
>can make the assumption that most
>networks out there are switched, than I believe I don't have much of a
>bandwidth problem.

Well, that's a business decision, I've got clients with unswitched
10MB hubs, but they probably aren't your market. If you can make the
assumption that your customers will willingly upgrade their
infrastructure if it doesn't meet the needs of your app, then you are
golden. Just put it in the requirements section of your datasheet.

--
William Smith

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Chris" <netter06108@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >We have a distributed system, consisting of between 1 and hundreds of
> >devices (on average 40 devices)
> >all streaming data at a rate of 2Mbit/sec each to 1 or more servers. If I
> >can make the assumption that most
> >networks out there are switched, than I believe I don't have much of a
> >bandwidth problem.

many new campuses are designed on the assumption that most or all packets
they carry are IP, so can be routed within a LAN environment - if you use
another protocol then that may be a problem for bigger sites.

And bandwidth cost is not a major issue so long as the app doesnt get used
across a WAN - when the cost of bandwidth goes up by a factor of 1000 or
more, people get a bit more concerned about "efficiency".

--
Regards