DX10 versus DX9

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I'm definitely not a computer expert, so forgive me if this is a silly question, but what benefits will the introduction of DX10 bring over DX9? I'm looking to build a computer for the first time, and I get confliciting advice as to whether or not to buy a good graphics card now....., or buy something inexpensive now and wait for DX10.

I don't play too many games, but I do some video editing and CAD on my computer as well as use it for photographic editing.

I'm looking to build using an Intel 6600 CPU, but I need some advice on the choosing a video card. I now have an Nvidia 6800 Ultra AGP in and old P4 computer, and it's been good. But I've also had good luck with ATI video cards in the past.

Any help would be appreciated.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
My rather simple understanding is that you will be able to experience with dx10 enabled pc games, the same graphics quality as xbox and playstation games use, as they use dx10.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Buy whatever you need.
No current games are programmed for DX10.
By the time there are games out for DX10 your current card will be out of date.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well, first of all, DX10 is a Vista only feature (and an optional one as well) and Vista has been delayed once again, so if I were you I wouldn't set any acquisitions based on its availability. Also, as games aren't your focus, you shouldn't worry much about it. For the applicatins you use, I think a medium priced video card will cut the deal (if you have a vivo one it would add more value for you).

On the main differences of DX10 and DX9, they are completely different. In DX10, MS changed the previous architecture of DirectX, mostly on how shaders and other stuff work.

fast1marine

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
My rather simple understanding is that you will be able to experience with dx10 enabled pc games, the same graphics quality as xbox and playstation games use, as they use dx10.

Wherever you got this information from is nuts, ps2 and xbox graphics are horrible when compared to pc graphics, also it would be impossible for machines that came out as early as 4 years ago to use a graphics API that isn't even finished yet. Not trying to sound mean but if your going to post that kind of information, some research is required.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I think what you meant to say was that the DX10 API includes the unified shader units that are included in the XBOX360's graphics component. DX10 has not been released yet and when it is, everyone without vista will get DX9.0d.

You can be pretty damn sure that the Playstation 3 will not use DX10 - I don't know how the hell you made that jump.

FAT_ALBERT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I know the XBox360 doesn't use DX10, but I'm not sure about the PS3. I don't think it does either though, but I could be wrong.

Acualy it does, after all it uses ATI's R600 GPU, just think before you post.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
What I hear is that DirectX 10 will have one new shader unit that will be able to add more depth to games. Since we have vertex and pixel shaders right now, they will add another shader in order to add more depth to games once again. Now, this is what i hear, if it will actually be implemented is up to the Microsoft Gods to decide. But for your puposes, no, DX10 has no use outside of gaming or anything graphic intensive. Stick with a mid-range card with HDMI capability and you should be good for quite a while.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I know the XBox360 doesn't use DX10, but I'm not sure about the PS3. I don't think it does either though, but I could be wrong.

Acualy it does, after all it uses ATI's R600 GPU, just think before you post.
Actually, it doesn't.

"the Xbox 360 GPU only meets it own Xbox 360 API specifications. While of course some lessons learned in DX9 and upcoming DX10 were applied, the GPU of the Xbox 360 is very much its own and comparing it directly to anything in the PC world is simply “not right” according to Mr. Feldstein"

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzcx

Just think before you post.

landlocked32371

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Gaming was about 3rd on my list of priorities for my recent machine. I chose the nvidia 7600 GS for about $90 after rebate. It meets my needs and then some.

For me i dont mind playing games a few years old, so I currently am playing Far Cry, Deus Ex, and SW:KOTOR at max settings....and this thing doesnt even hiccup. Add to that the fact im running dual monitors for a Photoshop CS2 setup, and I'm in heaven.

Can I brag about 3d frame rates? No...Do i care even a little? Not a bit.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
I prefer the older games as well - medieval total war, combat mission, heroes of might and magic3, even mordor, to name but a few. They all run beautifully on my athlon 3500+ and gt7800 (overclocked). Not only that but the AI is awesome.

I'm really looking forward to medieval2:total war and maddox's battle of britain when they are out end of this year, and civ4 (when i can get it bundled with expansion pack) - they will be the real tests.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Can I brag about 3d frame rates? No...Do i care even a little? Not a bit.

Yay a normal person!
Shame your benchmark scores will be 1% lower than hugeepenisdude's

Oh no....terrible news! Did you really have to tell him? I think he might have a heart attack!

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
10>9, at least in R.

So... I guess DX10 wins...

Ok, let's be serious. DX10 doesn't exist, and who knows what DX10 cards will be like, how much they will cost, and what advantage will there be to have one. Of course they'll be better. But then again, the next generation of video cards will ALWAYS be "revolutionary", DX35 or whatsoever.

So please don't restrain from buying a PC now, it'll be outdated in 3 years, of course, but so will be the dark fate of any DX10 PC.

Yes, you won't be able to turn on DX10-related eye-candy next year. But again, DX10 or not, that's what would happen anyway.

landlocked32371

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Brand new games are $50 - $60.

One - Two year old games are $20.

I'm to old to care about the latest and greatest game, highest score, blah blah blah. heck...i dont even know if i have ever even finished a video game...EVER...wait...except for Civ 2...man was that ever a good (and frustrating) game.

When it comes to gaming, i just want to spend a half hour blowing some bad guys away, or solving some puzzles or engage in a little strategic thought.

so for me, good gameplay is far more important that eye candy or frame rates.

that being said, id like to as an off topic question. Does anyone know of a decent Sci-Fi RPG (not necessarily recent...just available to buy)? I just cant get into the magic / mythology style RPG's for some reason.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
I'm not so much into sci-fi games, but on my old pc I did give 'masters of orion2' (or 'moo2') quite a bashing - a real classic, but old now. Also it did crash a few times rather annoyingly, I think it needs patching but perhaps problem was with my old computer as well. wouldn't mind seeing what the AI is like on new pc (and to see if it runs better).

I also played civ2 to death, but mastered it in the end, again wouldn't mind testing the AI of that game on new pc. Can't wait to get civ4 in new year, when it is bundled with expansion pack. sci-fi version of civ2 is 'alpha centurai', I have that game but not played it yet, apparently it is very good though.

I also have galactic civilisations, which I'm thinking of giving a go. It is also supposed to be very good deep strategy game with good AI (I only play games that have good AI!)

sorry those are all sci-fi strategy games rather than rpg's

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Brand new games are $50 - $60.

One - Two year old games are $20.

I'm to old to care about the latest and greatest game, highest score, blah blah blah. heck...i dont even know if i have ever even finished a video game...EVER...wait...except for Civ 2...man was that ever a good (and frustrating) game.

When it comes to gaming, i just want to spend a half hour blowing some bad guys away, or solving some puzzles or engage in a little strategic thought.

so for me, good gameplay is far more important that eye candy or frame rates.

that being said, id like to as an off topic question. Does anyone know of a decent Sci-Fi RPG (not necessarily recent...just available to buy)? I just cant get into the magic / mythology style RPG's for some reason.

Fallout/Fallout 2 are both BRILLIANT games. Although old they still bring me enjoyment today. Might be a struggle finding them.

You could also check out Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old republic 2.

I know of a few others but i cant bring them to my mind at the moment.

EDIT!! If you want a free roaming game set in space where you can do whatever you want, while having a strong plot driven story you can dip in and out of, try X3: The Reunion. The X series are sorta like the successors to that all time fave of mine, Elite.