Automated server monitoring - pls help !

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 30, 2005 7:57:23 AM

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I've just started a new job
as a network administrator and my role involves
monitoring 4 windows 2000 servers and 5 remote windows 2000 servers
running a mixture of IIS and SQL.

One of my daily duties is to monitor the event logs and performance of
each of these servers.

I am after any tips anyone can give me to find some kind of automated
monitoring software/setup that would email
me if there are any errors or warnings. I would obviously keen to get
hold of any open source products as my boss isn't willing
to pay for any software.

Any tips or recommendations gratefully received.

John
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:40:05 AM

HI there,

Thanks for the reply but i would prefer an open source solution.

Thanks
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:42:55 PM

On 30 Aug 2005 03:57:23 -0700, "foxy1977" <foxj77@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I've just started a new job
>as a network administrator and my role involves
>monitoring 4 windows 2000 servers and 5 remote windows 2000 servers
>running a mixture of IIS and SQL.
>
>One of my daily duties is to monitor the event logs and performance of
>each of these servers.
>
>I am after any tips anyone can give me to find some kind of automated
>monitoring software/setup that would email
>me if there are any errors or warnings. I would obviously keen to get
>hold of any open source products as my boss isn't willing
>to pay for any software.
>
>Any tips or recommendations gratefully received.
>
>John

You can do that with OpalisRobot.
Follow the links start at my site:
http://www.jsiinc.com/catalog/opalis.htm
January 29, 2013 5:53:18 PM

SolarWinds offers a couple of free server monitoring tools - one is WMI Monitor, which can monitor any metric for any WMI application. The other is Event Log Consolidator which collects events for up to 5 servers.

SolarWinds also offers an inexpensive product called Server & Application Monitor that can also monitor hardware health, virtual server health and also pretty much any application (except on mainframe).

Quote:

!