Ultra V-Series PSU

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I asked the same thing a while ago - not sure where my thread is now. I ended up shooting this PSU cause of all the bad reviews. Decided on the NeoHe 550 instead.

I want to help you, and I will but I want to see what that simonyee guy posts first.

hahaha! I used to have a Browning twelve gague that made me wait before I pulled the trigger and got hammered. Nice.

I have a 500 watt x-infinity. It is small enough to fit in my micro case. I also bought a 400 watt. With rebate it was $18.95. Middle of the road performance. I say that because the Vcore jumps around a little with them.

Edit: Forget it. I have no Ultra V. Ultra is cheap TD junk, right?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Naw, the guy is an idiot and keeps spouting stuff like "get the bested psu bad psu is bad don't buy bad moron".

Anyway, I don't like Ultra PSU's, user reviews are not the same as hardware review sites as I find most ppl who write reviews on newegg don't know what they are talking about.

The neo550 is a good choice but maybe more than you want to spend.

For under $60 the TPII is ok

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=273502

You don't need 500w and I'd rather have a solid 450w than a generic 600w.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Naw, the guy is an idiot and keeps spouting stuff like "get the bested psu bad psu is bad don't buy bad moron".

Anyway, I don't like Ultra PSU's, user reviews are not the same as hardware review sites as I find most ppl who write reviews on newegg don't know what they are talking about.

what if there was a generic 1kW ? i think i'd buy it to say i got a kW PSU.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

what if there was a generic 1kW ? i think i'd buy it to say i got a kW PSU.

no you wouldn't

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I wouldn't buy a generic 1kw PSU, chances are it would sound like a 747 coming in to land.

Imo for a good balance of Noise and Efficiency you can't go wrong with the Antec NeoHE series if your budget can accommodate. I have both the 430w and 550w.

If you don't mind slightly more noise and lower efficiency then the TruePower series will do you fine.

Personally, I like QUIET.

Antec P150 w/ acoustic shielding and rubber HDD mount
Antec NeoHE 550w
IceQ 3 cooled X1900XT
Thermaltake Golden Orb on 'low' (not bad but will prolly be Scythe Ninja or similar at next upgrade)
2x premium silent case fans at reduced voltage with Vantec rubber fan mounts.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I wouldn't buy a generic 1kw PSU, chances are it would sound like a 747 coming in to land.

Imo for a good balance of Noise and Efficiency you can't go wrong with the Antec NeoHE series if your budget can accommodate. I have both the 430w and 550w.

If you don't mind slightly more noise and lower efficiency then the TruePower series will do you fine.

Personally, I like QUIET.

Antec P150 w/ acoustic shielding and rubber HDD mount
Antec NeoHE 550w
IceQ 3 cooled X1900XT
Thermaltake Golden Orb on 'low' (not bad but will prolly be Scythe Ninja or similar at next upgrade)
2x premium silent case fans at reduced voltage with Vantec rubber fan mounts.

the truepower series is as quiet as the NeoHE series. Ambient sounds would be louder, ie air conditioning,