Unknown Transceiver

Hi all,

yesterday I got a transceiver/konvertor. I hope that someone
can tell me something about it!

The box (3" x 2" x 1") has a RJ45-Plug and a Coax cable (about
3" long) with a 10B2 plug. It looks like a 10Bt to 10B2 conver-
tor, although there is no power plug!

Additionally it has a switch "Single/Segment". With this one can
short the coax cable with a resistor (termination?).

The box says

Ungermann-Bass, Inc.
Net/One
Thin Coax Access Unit
Made in U.S.:
Model No. ASP-900

Unfortunately at the homepage of Ungermann-Bass there is no
info, and Google didn't help me.

Can someone please give me a hint?

Ciao

Michael

Dipl. Phys. Michael Zacherle zacherle@szs.uni-karlsruhe.de
Studienzentrum für Sehgeschädigte, Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
Engesserstraße 4, 76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
Tel.: (+49) 721/608-2760 Fax: (+49) 721/608-2020

Michael Zacherle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> yesterday I got a transceiver/konvertor. I hope that someone
> can tell me something about it!
>
> The box (3" x 2" x 1") has a RJ45-Plug and a Coax cable (about
> 3" long) with a 10B2 plug. It looks like a 10Bt to 10B2 conver-
> tor, although there is no power plug!
>
> Additionally it has a switch "Single/Segment". With this one can
> short the coax cable with a resistor (termination?).
>
> The box says
>
> Ungermann-Bass, Inc.
> Net/One
> Thin Coax Access Unit
> Made in U.S.:
> Model No. ASP-900
>
> Unfortunately at the homepage of Ungermann-Bass there is no
> info, and Google didn't help me.
>
> Can someone please give me a hint?

It's exactly what it says it is a Net/One thin coax access unit. Net/One
was a broadband network proprietary to Ungermann-Bass--could carry digital
data, analog video, phone, the whole nine yards over the same cable I
understand. It only cost about ten times as much as doing it all
separately so I never had occasion to mess with it--apparently either the
users are happy with it or it doesn't hold up very well because I've since
been looking for it on ebay and it hasn't shown up in enough quantity for
me to be willing to risk buying pieces in the hopes of putting a network
together (playing with obscure networks is a hobby of mine).

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Michael Zacherle wrote:
>
>> yesterday I got a transceiver/konvertor. I hope that someone
>> can tell me something about it!
>>
> It's exactly what it says it is a Net/One thin coax access unit. Net/One
> was a broadband network proprietary to Ungermann-Bass--could carry digital
> data, analog video, phone, the whole nine yards over the same cable I
[...]
> me to be willing to risk buying pieces in the hopes of putting a network
> together (playing with obscure networks is a hobby of mine).

Thanks a lot for your explanation. I don't need this adaptor, so maybe
you want to have it (for free of course, except shipping)? Where do you
live?

Michael Zacherle wrote:

> J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Michael Zacherle wrote:
>>
>>> yesterday I got a transceiver/konvertor. I hope that someone
>>> can tell me something about it!
>>>
>> It's exactly what it says it is a Net/One thin coax access unit. Net/One
>> was a broadband network proprietary to Ungermann-Bass--could carry
>> digital data, analog video, phone, the whole nine yards over the same
>> cable I
> [...]
>> me to be willing to risk buying pieces in the hopes of putting a network
>> together (playing with obscure networks is a hobby of mine).
>
> Thanks a lot for your explanation. I don't need this adaptor, so maybe
> you want to have it (for free of course, except shipping)? Where do you
> live?

Thanks for the offer, but please don't tempt me <grin>. Got more hardware
than I've got room for already.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Mr J Clarke isn' the only one in this crowd who does stuff with obsolete hardware.
I'm up to my (insert applicable expression) of AUI based hardware. Fortunately if
Mr. J Clarke doesn't want the thing, and you still have it, then I do. Please contact
me off list, and I'll gladly provide my physical address. Will also accept all obsolete
hardware you have, and do not have a need for. (Of course that presupposes the
rates between your country, and mine, are reasonable.)
Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net
"This signature is lost on a planet somewhere in the Beta-Hydri system."

In article <c5m81i01ih8@news4.newsguy.com>, jclarke@nospam.invalid says...