Dcom problems, please help

I'm not sure what happened but during the course of installing updates for
various programs my Com apps in the mmc console was affected. I really am not
familiar with this but I do know that now from console root there are no
computers listed and I know mine used to be there. about 1/2 of my services
cant' start and anything having to do with a server wont' work. It can't
locate an internet connection, etc. Also- my system started with one service
unchecke - apparently that deletes all restore points so that is not an
option for me. I verified DCOM was enabled in Regedit, seems other tools
aren't available for home edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I
just want to be back where I started!
2 answers Last reply
More about dcom problems help

    Start by making sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a scan on
    your system. Also, make sure you have no malware on your system, download,
    install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "mmf" <mmf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure what happened but during the course of installing updates for
    > various programs my Com apps in the mmc console was affected. I really am
    > not
    > familiar with this but I do know that now from console root there are no
    > computers listed and I know mine used to be there. about 1/2 of my
    > services
    > cant' start and anything having to do with a server wont' work. It can't
    > locate an internet connection, etc. Also- my system started with one
    > service
    > unchecke - apparently that deletes all restore points so that is not an
    > option for me. I verified DCOM was enabled in Regedit, seems other tools
    > aren't available for home edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated -
    > just want to be back where I started!

    Try applying the DCOM patch.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D488BBBB-DA77-448D-8FF0-0A649A0D8FC3&displaylang=en

Windows XP