This is gonna seem like a stupid question...

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
But what does the GHz rating of a processor actually mean. I have apentium 4 560 at 3.6GHz yet a core 2 duo runs less than that and is obviously miles better. It's confusing!
Thanks for any help

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
But what does the GHz rating of a processor actually mean. I have apentium 4 560 at 3.6GHz yet a core 2 duo runs less than that and is obviously miles better. It's confusing!
Thanks for any help

Ok let me expalin this in plain redneck English to ya, :arrow: Think you have a $hit load of beer and BBQ oven and 40" tv to take it up heels. Now if you ride your red Mustang which spins faster by the way, you have to make a couple of trips. If you ride your Ford pickup, you roll slower but you actaully make it in one trip and "mile" better.

GHz is the frequency that CPU operates at, Conreoe does more job in every cycle thanks to 4 decoders and smart cached and blablabla....

GHz (and MHz before it) refers to clock speed. For processors that carry out the same number and type of instructions, higher clock speed is faster.

A processor that can carry out more instructions per clock cycle, or that can carry out more complex instructions in fewer cycles, will out-perform a lesser processor running at the same clock frequency.

Supporting elements also make a difference. A processor that must waste cycles waiting for instructions to be fetched from memory will accomplish tasks more slowly than one attached to speedier RAM.

Consider a private sector office worker vs. a typical Government drone for a potential analogy. Even if the latter appears to be very busy (and may be generating more hot air), the former will likely be doing much more useful work.

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Ok let me expalin this in plain redneck English to ya, :arrow: Think you have a $hit load of beer and BBQ oven and 40" tv to take it up heels. Now if you ride your red Mustang which spins faster by the way, you have to make a couple of trips. If you ride your Ford pickup, you roll slower but you actaully make it in one trip and "mile" better.

GHz is the frequency that CPU operates at, Conreoe does more job in every cycle thanks to 4 decoders and smart cached and blablabla....

I didn't understand anything you just said. Thanks to the second reply though

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

Never mind, you need the "white power" to understand what I am saying

What's "white power" got to do with understanding what your saying? It's more like you need "dumass power"...

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

What's "white power" got to do with understanding what your saying? It's more like you need "dumass power"...
Ahem....* dumbass power.

He meant white-trash power. I posses this power and thus understood his comparison.

bigballerdan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

Ahem....* dumbass power.

Was about to say the same thing...by the way I understood it perfectly and I'm not even a redneck!

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Without getting into details such as fetching/decoding, cache optimization/latency or pipeline size/management-

I would suggest you think of this example:
If you have a car with a 5.0 and a car with a 2.8 engine which will run faster? Now factor in that the 5.0 can only go to second gear, while the 2.8 has a 5-speed overdrive and is turbocharged.

By this I mean that there is much more to the effective speed of a CPU than just horsepower (Ghz). Add to this, that upgrades such as better branch prediction and more efficient bus logic, keeps the new (slower) CPUs from tripping up themselves.

Gigahertz is not an effective way to compare CPUs unless they're on the same platform. (e.g. P4 vs. P4 - but not P4 vs Conroe) But, even then things like cache size and fsb speed come into play.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

Ahem....* dumbass power.

Was about to say the same thing...by the way I understood it perfectly and I'm not even a redneck!

People take it easy, the white power I am refering to is nothing but crack. God damn those idiots who wanna fight in every thread. Show some love brothers.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
old_times said:
Thanks for any help

I LOVE that answer! That makes it so clear now!!

bigballerdan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I just get annoyed when someone tries to DISS someone else and does a horrible job doing it. Kind of ironic he would be calling someone a "dumbass", when he can't even spell the word. Oh well let there be peace.

mpjesse

Splendid

He's obviously kidding. Relax folks.

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

He just wanted to see himself type and make himself feel like he knew something, basically a waste of bandwidth.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
It doesn't take much around here. We're like a cigarette ember laying next to a pile of gasoline-soaked hay.

Just a note, they showed that you can't light gasoline with a cigarette on Mythbusters. However, the hay would light quite easily, so its hard to tell if the gasoline would stop the hay from lighting due to its higher difficulty of ignition. Please note that this has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
It's ok dude, I thought it was funny and could almost see that retard Foxworthy guy saying it.

In fact, I've dealt with people in the past who "was wantin to try that innernet thing" who would've understood it perfectly.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

He just wanted to see himself type and make himself feel like he knew something, basically a waste of bandwidth.

Uhh you remind me of old days when people where getting billed by their bandwidth usage. Maybe you should upgrade ur arse and get rid of that AOL dial up so opening a HTML page wouldn't be a waste of bandwidth for ya!

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
wow. Didn't think that was a question that could cause so much trouble.

It's alright. Dorky people here are touchy, if they dont get the joke they flame back. You are lucky you didnt get stabbed for asking a stupid question.

NO-REPLY

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I don't think it was a stupid question really. Just knew that almost everyone else here would know the answer except me. So would the bottom of the line conroe be better than my pentium 4 560 or is that a stupid question? :p