Need fan for OEM version of E6600 from TigerDirect, anyone??

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
The retail version of the E6600 is supposed to have a 3 year warranty. If I got the OEM version, it's only 1 year.

QUESTION: Which fan did you guys get to go with the E6600 OEM version from Tigerdirect???? It has to be on the same invoice to be eligible for the warranty.

I'm leaning towards just getting the OEM version and receiving it next week, instead of waiting till the end of August and having to pay $100 more. (actually $75 more cause the fan costs $25 with the OEM version). Basically $75 = 2 more years on warranty.

Plz let me know about that fan. Which one should I get?

Noob question too: OEM vs retail for E6600. Big difference other than the fan?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'm not too sure about Tigerdirect's policy on warranties, but if you need a couple HSF for your processor, you might want to look at the Arctic Freezer 7 pro or Scythe Ninja. Maybe you have to buy the processor with any compatabile HSF? Not sure, might want to call..

And there is no diff between OEM and retail except for a stock Intel HSF...

garnin

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I bought a 6600 from TD right when it came out on the 27th. I'm still waiting on RAM and Video card, but right now, I have it running at stock speeds with a pci video card and cheap ddr2 ram.

With OEM version, the chip is all you get. You have to provide your own heatsink/fan. I personally got a scythe ninja and it never goes above 38 Celsius. I didn't really like any of the heatsink/fan combinations that tiger direct had to offer, but any of them should work fine as long as you don't plan to overclock too aggressively.

The retail version of the E6600 is supposed to have a 3 year warranty. If I got the OEM version, it's only 1 year.

QUESTION: Which fan did you guys get to go with the E6600 OEM version from Tigerdirect???? It has to be on the same invoice to be eligible for the warranty.

I'm leaning towards just getting the OEM version and receiving it next week, instead of waiting till the end of August and having to pay $100 more. (actually $75 more cause the fan costs $25 with the OEM version). Basically $75 = 2 more years on warranty.

Plz let me know about that fan. Which one should I get?

Noob question too: OEM vs retail for E6600. Big difference other than the fan?
OEM is mostly for the OC'ers but now may be for those who cant wait. OEM from TigerDirect does require the heatsink and fan on the same purchase before they will honor the warranty.

If you want a cooler running E6600 or ever want to OC the chip go with the OEM. If you want a longer warranty from Intel themselves buy retail.

That's great info. Thanks. Which HSF would you recommend for overclocking the E6600? Any ideas?
Its truly trial and error on OCing to find the best HSF for any given CPU. The one I would suggest is Masscool while not the best its about the best for the price. To go with the best may cost more than the next step up the CPU ladder so I stay away from those.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1272112&CatId=493

One of the most looked over parts in OCing is the thermal gel which need to be as thinly spread on the CPU as possible. Heres a good thermal gel.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=480215&CatId=503

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Wow. I didnt even think about that. This is going to be my first build so I hope I dont screw things up. I plan to keep things running smoothly for a year or so (until warranty nears its end), and then start to overclock, when I learn how. Then when Kentsfield chips are nice and cheap, switch over to them in 1.5 years or so.

I know nothing about overclocking - if I apply the paste during the initial build, will it last a year until I am ready to overclock, or does it expire over time?

BTW - is it difficult to overclock? Is it a software thing, or does it require manual hardware configuration. How much extra in % performance will I get by OC'ing the E6600. THANKS for your tips! Really useful.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
its actually pretty easy, dont let the size fool you, its actually pretty light. And as I said, one of, if not the best.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
You've opened my mind up to some new ideas - will the P5WDH be compatible with the Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core Processor??? THG had a great article on OC'ing a while ago:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/index.html

Maybe I should skip Conroe, and jump to Kentsfield next, bridging the gap by overclocking the P 805. They got this baby up to 4.1 Ghz. What do you think about the idea (considering I've never even built a new system before).