Lousy hardware or human error?

Andrewd0

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
I recently set up a wireless network in my house. It uses two D-Link DWL-520+ adapters in a couple of PC's and a DI-614+ router, connected to an ethernet converter box (not exactly sure what that thing is.. we got it used from the ISP), which is connected to an antenna outside.

It all seems to work fine except that every half hour or so the connection to the internet simply doesn't work for several minutes.

I am only a layman regarding computers, and over the past decade I've made a passtime of learning how to use them (I'm good with DOS and Windows, web design, a little bit of programming, put my PC together myself, etc.) but I never really learned a lot about networking so everything in this area is greek to me.

When I loose the connection every half hour, the little computer monitors in the bottom right on the taskbar remain and both will light up occasionally, implying to me that the connection with the router is fine. We can also access the router's website (for changing settings and such) while the connection isn't working.

As far as I can tell, this means that the problem lies between the router and the converter box, or between the converter box and the ISP. There are no settings to be messed with in the box.. it's just a little white thing with four LED lights (one is a power light and the others I'm not sure about - they're labeled by a wavy line, a straight line, and a couple of parallel arrows pointing different directions). I've called the ISP's technical guy, and he suggested that it had something to do with lease time. I'm not sure what that is, exactly, but when I checked I found it already set to what he suggested.

Aside from the WAN IP, subnet mask, ISP gateway address, primary DNS address, and secondary DNS address (all of which were provided by the ISP), the router was left well enough alone with the default settings.

I got the PCI adapters new, but both the router and the ethernet converter box were used. From what I know of computers, it seems like a hardware problem inside one of those two, but I really don't know anything about networking so I thought I'd ask if this kind of problem rings a bell to anyone here (before I throw away money on new stuff).

Thanks,
-Andrew Drummond

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just a shot in the dark, but look for option to use LONG PREAMBLE or SHORT PREAMBLE and change from the one to the other. This worked for another guy elsewhere in the Forum.
Good Luck,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)