Last response: in Windows 7
November 12, 2009 3:38:50 AM

Don't know what's going on, here's system information:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3ghz
Gigabyte MA790xt-ud4p motherboard
8 gigs Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM
750 gig WD HD
(2) 5770's

On to the problem. Clean install. Clean build. Just put the system together today. It locks up every single time at Installing updates, this is with 2 different hard drives, formatting before, deleting the partitions fully, and it still does it. Not sure -why- it's locking up at all, everything goes unresponsive. Temperatures on the CPU and the like are fine. What am I missing?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 3:41:26 AM

perhaps a problem with the drive itself? maybe a ram issue? Pick up the Ultimate Boot CD and use the included ram and hard drive diagnostics.
m
l
November 12, 2009 3:44:20 AM

I've tried it on two different hard drives, one known good 320 gig hard drive that was yanked out of another computer and the 750 gig hard drive. Same thing on both.

As for ultimate boot, no idea what that is, I am booting to the windows 7 64 bit disk to try the installs.

This is really frustrating.
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2009 6:06:02 AM

As a note, system has taken a COMPLETE install of windows XP Pro 64, motherboard drivers, everything, not a glitch... must be a bad disk.... or something else. I will have to look for a new bios or something. I tried disabling everything cept usb keyboard in bios and no go... such a pita.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 12, 2009 10:46:41 AM

The Ultimate Boot CD is a collection of diagnostic tools that you can download from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com. In your case, use the included RAM and hard drive diagnostics to check whether your ram and hard drives are having problems.
m
l
December 16, 2009 5:37:52 PM

I'm having a similar problem with the exact same motherboard. (Trying to load XP SP2)

New build:
AMD AM3 Phenom II X3 720
Gigabyte MA790xt-ud4p motherboard
OCZ Technology ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth 4GB PC3-10666 DDR3
ATI RADEON HD4850 512MB
SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB SATA II
Antec True Power Trio - 650 W Power Supply

I had two hard drives (IDE) from the previous system which I used as my main drives (OS XP Home 32 bit SP3). Everthing stayed the same on the drives, except that I loaded new drivers for the mother board and video card. I ran a burn in program and everything (RAM, CPU, etc. came out clean... no errors).

The new system would lock up randomly for no particular reason. I bought a new SATA 500 Gb drive (listed above) for a totally clean install. I could not even complete a clean install, with the new drive before the system locked up. I finally managed a clean install and cannot install the video card drivers without rebooting the system. The newest video card driver WILL NOT install. They always crash at the same point.

This seems like a hardware problem because I cannot even get the OS to install without locking up occasionally.

I have tried to update the mother board BIOS, but I'm not doing something right. I will update the BIOS and get back to you.

What else do I need to do? Any suggestions??

m
l
December 17, 2009 1:30:56 PM

Okay, I downloaded UBCD and ran most of the programs on the CD. Didn't have a single problem, in fact the computer never locked up once. On the other hand windows will occasionally crash (BSD) when loading. I make it to the welcome screen then BSD. This happens about 25% of the time. Is it a bad HD?? or bad OS?

Still haven't updated the BIOS yet. I tried again, but still not doing something right.

Tried to install the video card drivers off the CD that came with the card. (HIS Radeon 4850). Drivers will still not load. Drivers reach a certain point and crash the system EVERY time.

Is it possible I have a bad video card?

Any thoughts?
m
l
December 24, 2009 8:33:50 AM

It's the RAM. I ended up going through a horrible horrible process with RMA's due to idiotic tech support not letting me replace the RAM first. New motherboard, no change, random crashes. New Processor, no change, random crashes.

You've got one or more bad sticks of ram. You replace those and it should fix the problem quicklike.
m
l
December 29, 2009 3:32:25 AM

You're right. It ended up being the RAM. Unfortunately I gave up and took my computer to a repair shop and after several days they diagnosed the RAM as the problem.

That RAM cost me $60 (for the diagnosis) and +$50 (cost increase over the old RAM) = $110! That's what you get by trying to save $10 on cheaper RAM. :( 

Thanks Chaos, you were right on the money!
m
l
December 29, 2009 5:25:20 AM

"If you are installing Windows XP , you need following minimum system requirements

* Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
* At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
* At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
* CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
* Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
* Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
* Sound card
* Speakers or headphones

f you need more assistance on this, contact http://www.247techies.com/ for immediate Microsoft tech support
m
l
!