My System, what do you think?

Okay I'm trying to build a system for approximately $900 dollars. Here's the specs.

CASE: X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6300 CPU @ 1.86GHz 1066FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache

MOTHERBOARD: Intel DP965LT I965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394&7.1Audio

MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD: NEW !!! NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCI Express x16 Video Card

HARD DRIVE: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

Optical Drive: PIONEER DVR-111 DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW +
CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

I built this using
cyberpowerpc.com

I would have preferred building it piece by piece on newegg but I tried and the prices on newegg were more than what cyberpowerpc charged. I don't know much about the company but intel supported them on their website. (One of few places I could find the new Core 2 Duos)

Anyway what do yout think? Anything I should definitely change? or consider?
5 answers Last reply
More about system think
  1. Thanks Prozac26,

What's the difference between the GS and the GT?

Also on the DVD burner should I go with a Lite On instead or is Pioneer as good of a brand? I got an NEC currently that is working great but I know some people who are strong supporters of Lite On and I've never seen anything bad out of them so what do you think?
  2. Any of those DVD drives should be fine.
    Just be sure the PS is a good quality PS, with plenty of +12V current (30A if one rail, 20A/rail if dual rail).
  3. Buy a case without a power supply, and buy a good brand of power supply (Antec, Fortron Source, Enermax, Mushkin).
  4. Quote:
    Thanks Prozac26,

What's the difference between the GS and the GT?

The memory type, and the clockspeeds. The 7600GS has GDDR2 memory; the 7600GT has GDDR3 memory. The 7600GS is clocked at 400/800MHz core/mem. The 7600GT is clocked at 500/1400MHz core/mem. GDDR3 memory runs cooler, and can reach much higher speeds than GDDR2; you'll never be able to overclock a 7600GS to 7600GT speeds. The 7600GS with 512MB VRAM doesn't come close to a 7600GT; the extra memory makes absolutely no difference in its performance.

The 7600GT is only a couple bucks more than the 7600GS, and it's money well spent.
  5. Mondoman,
    Thanks a lot for the dvd information.

Gary_Busey,
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the power supply but the case comes with one. If I start having problems with the PS I'm definitely going to buy a new one at 500W instead of 420W. Which leads me to another question? Is 420 enough or should I go ahead and buy a 500W?

Flopmouth_Fish,
    Thanks a lot man. That's a major difference. Like you said Money Well Spent.

Also if I decide to go with another brand besides geforce... what's good in the other brands? Any I should stay away from?

Thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems