Temporary files in c:winnttemp

Dear all

We find that the space in our c:\ is getting dangerously low, this i found
was due to the files getting created in c:\winnt\temp.

the only change that has happened to our network is , we installed a NORTEL
PABX, but the enginner says NORTEL cannot write files on to the server.

Your help is hihgly appreciated.
regards
Eashwar

With no applications and or installs running and after restart, you can
delete the files from the %temp% directory.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"eashwar" wrote:
| Dear all
|
| We find that the space in our c:\ is getting dangerously low, this i found
| was due to the files getting created in c:\winnt\temp.
|
| the only change that has happened to our network is , we installed a
NORTEL
| PABX, but the enginner says NORTEL cannot write files on to the server.
|
| Your help is hihgly appreciated.
| regards
| Eashwar

I see that these files get created in the c:\winnt\temp, am not able to
delete them, however these files get deleted automatically.

Is it due to the low Physical memeory, am planning to increase the memory.

thanks in advance.
regards
Eashwar

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> With no applications and or installs running and after restart, you can
> delete the files from the %temp% directory.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "eashwar" wrote:
> | Dear all
> |
> | We find that the space in our c:\ is getting dangerously low, this i found
> | was due to the files getting created in c:\winnt\temp.
> |
> | the only change that has happened to our network is , we installed a
> NORTEL
> | PABX, but the enginner says NORTEL cannot write files on to the server.
> |
> | Your help is hihgly appreciated.
> | regards
> | Eashwar

OK, glad to hear it's sorted.

--

"eashwar" wrote:
|I see that these files get created in the c:\winnt\temp, am not able to
| delete them, however these files get deleted automatically.
|
| Is it due to the low Physical memeory, am planning to increase the memory.
|
| thanks in advance.
| regards
| Eashwar

no sir, not yet solved, i increased memory, but still the problem persists.

regards
Eashwar

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> OK, glad to hear it's sorted.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "eashwar" wrote:
> |I see that these files get created in the c:\winnt\temp, am not able to
> | delete them, however these files get deleted automatically.
> |
> | Is it due to the low Physical memeory, am planning to increase the memory.
> |
> | thanks in advance.
> | regards
> | Eashwar

You'll need to give us some details of the problem. What files are created?
Do you already know they're created by a Nortel application? You mentioned
they get deleted automatically; by what process? Is the physical RAM
consumed or pagefile? Have you taken care of the drive space issue?

--

"eashwar" wrote:
| no sir, not yet solved, i increased memory, but still the problem
persists.

| regards
| Eashwar

Dear Mr Dave Patrick

Yes the temporary files get created in c:\winnt\temp.

These reach a size of about 100 MB and get deleted automatically.

the file names are nomally tmp*.tmp.

Some of them reach 72,397 MB , then automaticlly get deleted.

Yes i have freed some space on the C: drive, i increase the memory to 1.13
GB, it was 768 MB previously.

i thought after increasing the Memory size these temporary files would not
get created, but they still continue.

Is this a Trojan horse or some System problem.

My antivirus (norton is up to date)

Although while the system writes such files te machine gets very slow.

Though we increased the Physical RAM the disk space gets consumed.

I think Nortel PABX is not the cause as even after removing the PABX from
the network, the file creation continues.

Kindly advice way forward.

regards
Eashwar

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You'll need to give us some details of the problem. What files are created?
> Do you already know they're created by a Nortel application? You mentioned
> they get deleted automatically; by what process? Is the physical RAM
> consumed or pagefile? Have you taken care of the drive space issue?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "eashwar" wrote:
> | no sir, not yet solved, i increased memory, but still the problem
> persists.
> |
> | regards
> | Eashwar

Also, i donot know how to find which process is writing these files and which
process is releasing/deleting them.

please let me know how to find the process names, it will be a great help.

in anticipation.

Eashwar

"eashwar" wrote:

> Dear Mr Dave Patrick
>
> Yes the temporary files get created in c:\winnt\temp.
>
> These reach a size of about 100 MB and get deleted automatically.
>
> the file names are nomally tmp*.tmp.
>
> Some of them reach 72,397 MB , then automaticlly get deleted.
>
> Yes i have freed some space on the C: drive, i increase the memory to 1.13
> GB, it was 768 MB previously.
>
> i thought after increasing the Memory size these temporary files would not
> get created, but they still continue.
>
> Is this a Trojan horse or some System problem.
>
> My antivirus (norton is up to date)
>
> Although while the system writes such files te machine gets very slow.
>
> Though we increased the Physical RAM the disk space gets consumed.
>
> I think Nortel PABX is not the cause as even after removing the PABX from
> the network, the file creation continues.
>
> Kindly advice way forward.
>
> regards
> Eashwar
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > You'll need to give us some details of the problem. What files are created?
> > Do you already know they're created by a Nortel application? You mentioned
> > they get deleted automatically; by what process? Is the physical RAM
> > consumed or pagefile? Have you taken care of the drive space issue?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "eashwar" wrote:
> > | no sir, not yet solved, i increased memory, but still the problem
> > persists.
> > |
> > | regards
> > | Eashwar

You can use this tool to find out the process owner and let us know what you
find.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Handle.html

--

"eashwar" wrote:
| Also, i donot know how to find which process is writing these files and
which
| process is releasing/deleting them.
|
| please let me know how to find the process names, it will be a great help.
|
| in anticipation.
|
| Eashwar

Thank you sir, i have checked the services and it appears this was because of
the exchange 2000.

some of the mail boxes were huge and hence STORE.EXE was writing in the
c:\winnt\temp directory.

After clearing the mail boes the problem seems to have resolved.

regards
Eashwar

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You can use this tool to find out the process owner and let us know what you
> find.
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Handle.html
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "eashwar" wrote:
> | Also, i donot know how to find which process is writing these files and
> which
> | process is releasing/deleting them.
> |
> | please let me know how to find the process names, it will be a great help.
> |
> | in anticipation.
> |
> | Eashwar

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.