XP Home and Exchange

We are running Microsoft Exchange 2000 and most users are running
Windows 2000 pro but we have one laptop that is set up with XP home
edition and Outlook 2000. I cannot find a way to get that machine to
see the Exchange server. People have told me it is impossible. Is
it? Rich
3 answers Last reply
More about home exchange

    You need to join a domain to access mail on a Exchange Server, that would
    mean you should be running Windows XP Professional, not Home Edition. Home
    Edition cannot join a Domain and obviously the Exchange Server would be a
    member server in a Domain.

    If the computer you use at work has XP Pro on it, what you could do is
    install the Remote Desktop Client on the XP Home machine to access the pro
    machine.

    See link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

    Andre

    "Rich" <rdaley@yea.org> wrote in message
    > We are running Microsoft Exchange 2000 and most users are running
    > Windows 2000 pro but we have one laptop that is set up with XP home
    > edition and Outlook 2000. I cannot find a way to get that machine to
    > see the Exchange server. People have told me it is impossible. Is
    > it? Rich

    What do you mean you cannot get it to 'see' the exchange server? You mean
    from within Outlook you cannot get the user's profile set up to access his
    mailbox or that the XP Home laptop will not communicate with the Exchange
    server at all? Can you ping the Exchange server from the laptop? can you
    access shares on the Ex server from the laptop?

    Dan DeStefano

    "Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You need to join a domain to access mail on a Exchange Server, that would
    > mean you should be running Windows XP Professional, not Home Edition. Home
    > Edition cannot join a Domain and obviously the Exchange Server would be a
    > member server in a Domain.

    No - you do not need to join a domain to access your Exchange server from an
    Outlook mail client on a Windows XP machine.
    You simple provide the credentials required at connection time (these can be
    set to be remembered)

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You need to join a domain to access mail on a Exchange Server, that would
    > mean you should be running Windows XP Professional, not Home Edition. Home
    > Edition cannot join a Domain and obviously the Exchange Server would be a
    > member server in a Domain.
    >
    > If the computer you use at work has XP Pro on it, what you could do is
    > install the Remote Desktop Client on the XP Home machine to access the pro
    > machine.
    >
    > See link:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp
    >
    > Andre
    >

    > "Rich" <rdaley@yea.org> wrote in message
    >> We are running Microsoft Exchange 2000 and most users are running
    >> Windows 2000 pro but we have one laptop that is set up with XP home
    >> edition and Outlook 2000. I cannot find a way to get that machine to
    >> see the Exchange server. People have told me it is impossible. Is
    >> it? Rich

Exchange Windows XP