Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Using 2 PC hard drives

Last response: in Windows 7
May 16, 2011 5:40:38 PM

Hello, I've recently purchased a PC with 1 64GB SSD and 1TB HD. Contrary to instructions the seller uploaded everything onto the SSD at C: and not just the OS. He now says I should use a disk partitioner to transfer the files. Also to reset my BIOS. How is this done and is there a step by step guide to doing this? regards. Rohan

More about : hard drives

a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2011 6:12:07 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It's perfectly acceptable to have the OS on the SSD and 64Gb will comfortably hold that and the Programme Files but you can move all your data storage to your 1Tb disk if you wish. You could also move pagefile.sys and, if appropriate, hiberfile.sys to save some space on that SSD. You can easily move anything from one disk to the other and tell the system to save files on the Terabyte disk in future.

m
l
May 24, 2011 7:46:59 AM

Hi and thanks for reply (I can't call you Saga Lout, it sounds so insulting). My problem is that I am a complete dunce when it comes to PCs - I can operate the thing well enough but know nothing on its internal workings. Just how does one "move" data? Again is there a step-by-step guide to doing such? Can I change the drive of the Corsair SSD from C:\ to D:\ and leave the OS on the SSD and then put the MS Office on the Samsung Spinpoint C:\ Hard Drive. How does one direct all data: emails, photos, music Word and Excel files to store on the C:\ HD drive? I appreciate that it can be "easily done" but not always to dummies like me. Thanks again. Regards Rohan
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2011 1:40:52 PM

First off, Saga Lout is fine by me - it was a term I may or may not have coined myself but I'm pretty certain I was first to use it oin the Internet.

Moving data is a simple mater of right clicking on a file or a folder full of files and using the SendTo facility that pops up in a small menu on that right click. You can also use Copy or Cut, then navigate to the place you want to put it then right click and use Paste.

You can't change the drive letters of Primary drives at this stage - Windows would be ever so upset.

The programmes you have on C: have plenty of room to accommodate others but when you install another programme, when it offers you the chance to put it where you want it, simply create a folder in D: and name it Program Files then point your new programme's installer to that folder and that's where it will go. Moving existing ones would involve a lot of manual Registry editing and it simply isn't worth the effort.

If you need to know how to migrate all your existing files (User folders) to D:, please post again but there are thousands of not millions of entire systems still running perfectly well on 64Gb drives, and smaller ones, so leaving things as they are and just saving new files to D: would be quite acceptable.

An alternative would be to using cloning software to transfer the entire system as it is at the moment the clone is made, and putting that on to the 1Tb drive. Once there, everything could be wiped from the SSD and it could be used as backup. The drive letters would take care of themselves in that method.

May 26, 2011 8:14:11 AM

Thanks Saga Lout for taking the time. Give me a while to review your reply and I'll try to put it into effect. I have all the original software program disks and there's not that much data that can't be stored on my LaCie 500GB external disk so I'm safe on that score. My concern is that I could do irreparable damage to the system out of which I cannot escape. Whatever, Ill give it a go and will revert (on my notebook) should I become unstuck. Thanks again and kind regards Rohan
m
l
June 5, 2011 8:23:23 AM

Best answer selected by Rohan Lindsay.
m
l
!