Modular v. non-modular P/S?

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Two questions:

What is the difference between a modular and a non-modular power supply?

Why would a modular unit be less efficient than a non-modular unit?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Modular means that each cable can be connected and disconnected from the psu and you can remove the ones that you are not using. This makes for a tidier case and better air flow.

The efficiency for psu's all differ but I don't like modular myself due to the additional resistance point (at the connection) and some of the connectors can be a little flimsy.

The efficiency for psu's all differ but I don't like modular myself due to the additional resistance point (at the connection) and some of the connectors can be a little flimsy.

It is also speculated by PC Power & Cooling (a well respected PSU brandname) that the connection points can corrode over time which can lead to electrical shorts and ultimate failure.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I personally think that's rubbish, if there was enough humidity around your PC to cause that degree of corrosion I think that the connectors on the modular PSU would be the least of your worries.

Not to mention the fittings on my Antec NeoHE's are *very* secure.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
While I find myself choosing PSUs of the non-modular type, I've had some good experiences with modular PSUs. I have an Antec Neopower 480 that I've owned for about 3 1/2 years that has really served me well. I've not had a single issue with it. I use a Coolmax CU-600 (which is modular as well) as my test PSU that I run my water cooling loops after I've freshly installed some new component into them. I cannot discount other peoples concerns though.

Some of the most reputable power supply companies have modular lines of PSUs: Mushkin, Thermaltake, Enermax, Silverstone, Coolmax, XCLIO, MSI, Antec, OCZ, Raidmax and FSP

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I absolutely agree.

While the current PSU in my main rig is a Silverstone 750, I have ordered an Enermax Galaxy (It's a 1000 watt modular PSU) because I don't do SLI and I didn't want to deal with the multiple extra PCIe cords that come with the highend PSUs. To be sure I've researched the PSU extensively and it has gotten nothing but rave reviews from several respected sites so that was good enough to calm any concerns I might have had.

I personally think that's rubbish, if there was enough humidity around your PC to cause that degree of corrosion I think that the connectors on the modular PSU would be the least of your worries.

Not to mention the fittings on my Antec NeoHE's are *very* secure.

I too don't fully agree with PC P&C's statement which is why I used the word "speculated", but I figured it's a good idea to play Devil's Advocate so that the OP will know both the good things and possibly bad things about modular PSU.