Race creation tutorials

I have just learnt the basics of creating your own race using TES
construction set. Although I did not achieve what I had hoped to get.
Basically all that happened was renaming skins that already existed, so I
had a race that looked the same as another race but had totally different
stats. I was following a tutorial on how to make your own Dwarf race using
the Breton skins.
http://dlh.net/cheats/pc/english/elder+scrolls+3+-+morrowind/hints4.html
Are there any tutorials that can guide me through some colour changing to
the skins or 3D modelling of faces? I haven't found any yet and I was hoping
that someone out there might know a good tutorial and know where to find it.

thanks
Mike

I'm not sure on any tutorials, Mike. But I've done it a few times when
my projects have required (I don't use a whole lot of new models and
textures in my mods), and it's quite easy to do a simple recolor. You
need to make copies of the NIF files, which is the format Morrowind's
models are in, change their names, then open them with a program such
as NifTexture (Google it, it's fairly widely available), and find the
texture files they link to. Find these textures, which are probably on
the Construction Set CD, make copies of them and rename the copies as
with the NIFs, then open them in an art application, preferably
Photoshop (you may need a DDS plugin, depends on how you access the
files). Alter them as you like, then save them with their new names,
open up the NIFs with NifTexture, and make them point to your new
textures. In order to run in Morrowind properly, these texture have to
be present in the Data Files\Textures directory, or a sub-directory of
it. The meshes have to be in Data Files\Meshes, or a sub-directory of
it.

Jaxalot

Ah yes, the NIF files.

I had a go at a lousy tutorial I fond that basically described everything
like you did - not that the way you described it was lousy but the website
was*.

Eventually I recoloured one of the BMP files but then there was the crazy
proses of importing the file back into the game... that was intense.
Eventually I got it half working - by 'half working' I mean that the game
detects it but closes any time I try to use that particular face. Hmmm... I
think I will just stick to the faces available in Morrowind and try to find
a helm that covers the face completely as soon as possible when I start the
game. Thanks for your help

Mike Less wrote:

> Ah yes, the NIF files.
>
> I had a go at a lousy tutorial I fond that basically described everything
> like you did - not that the way you described it was lousy but the website
> was*.
>
> Eventually I recoloured one of the BMP files but then there was the crazy
> proses of importing the file back into the game... that was intense.
> Eventually I got it half working - by 'half working' I mean that the game
> detects it but closes any time I try to use that particular face. Hmmm... I
> think I will just stick to the faces available in Morrowind and try to find
> a helm that covers the face completely as soon as possible when I start the
> game. Thanks for your help

If its just the face you don't like there are no end of face-replacer
mods out there - Better Heads etc are well worth a look.