Speed in relation to specific applications #of cores/CPUs

old-man

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
I use a statistic program that utilizes an embedded version of excel. The program does hundreds of billions of simple equations. On my P4 3GHz machine, it takes about 4-hours for an average run. When I had my dual CPU 1800+MP system, it was slower.

My current Motherboard is dead. I need to replace it. I don’t necessarily need more speed, but I cannot settle for less.

Will the new dual core CPU’s at 2+ GHz run excel programs like mine faster than the old 3Ghz single CPU solution? Or will it be like my old dual cpu system and only use one of the cores?

Thanks,

Oxymoron.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Like always, you can not measure performance in GHz... You can look in the CPU charts to look at single thread performance of some of the X2's and Pentium D's. And our course the C2D's have shared cache and a superior architechure (Core Duo's are similar) which should wipe the floor with your current rig.

Also Excel 2007 is set to have many multihreaded routines which may or may not trickle down to your program.

mpjesse

Splendid
i seriously doubt it will be any faster on a dual core system. 99% of all office applications (including excel) do not take advantage of dual core processors.

if I were you, i'd look for a new motherboard only. OR upgrade to a Athlon 64 4000+. Dual core isn't going to do shite for you.

sorry.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You may want to check with the maker of your program first. If a multi-threaded update is planned, then dual core is the way to go. Or, it might even be multi-threaded now, as a 3Ghz P4 with HT is probably faster than 2 1800+MPs.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
You could also run two instances of the program and have 2-calculations going at the same time, which would definetely save time if you run lots of the calcs at the same time.

mpjesse

Splendid
You could also run two instances of the program and have 2-calculations going at the same time, which would definetely save time if you run lots of the calcs at the same time.

never thought of that. good idea. it <should> work. works with SuperPi...