Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

framerates

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 4, 2005 12:09:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Is there inside morrowind a possibility to see the framerates in the same
way as in flightsimulation?

pieter
www.borrasart.com

More about : framerates

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:09:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On Monday 03 January 2005 15:09, pb <arrob747@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there inside morrowind a possibility to see the framerates in the same
> way as in flightsimulation?

Locate the "Show FPS" line in the [General] section of Morrowind.ini and
change the value to 1.
--
Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
available.

- Benford's Law of Controversy
January 4, 2005 3:07:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

"Michael Hughes" <mhughes486@charter.net.invalid> schreef in bericht
news:33tr5hF43r4uhU1@individual.net...
> On Monday 03 January 2005 15:09, pb <arrob747@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there inside morrowind a possibility to see the framerates in the same
>> way as in flightsimulation?
>
> Locate the "Show FPS" line in the [General] section of Morrowind.ini and
> change the value to 1.
> --
> Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
> available.
>
> - Benford's Law of Controversy

Thanks Michael, I will follow your technical advice but first I have to get
rid of that naked guy behind my back, lol.
He is wearing a short but the grimm on his face is terrible...
Because his sword is gone and I have to help him to get it back.
We have to wait.... threeeeeee days till a certain witch will arrive here in
the room, she knows how to get the sword back....this is real bloody
hell....
BUT...it gives me three days to find the technical solution of the
framerates :-)

regards,
pieter
www.borrasart.com
Related resources
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 8:56:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Guido Hörster wrote:
> Pete MC wrote:
> >
> > Its interesting to me as I'm thinking about an upgrade at the
moment as
> > well. In some of my really mod-heavy areas (Vivec especially) my
> > framerate is probably about 5....
> What is your selected display resolution and hardware ?

Morrowind's display resolution actually has a surprisingly small impact
on frames per second.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:53:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Michael Hughes wrote:
>
> Locate the "Show FPS" line in the [General] section of Morrowind.ini and
> change the value to 1.

I am thinking about upgrading my graphics hardware and would be
interested in some comparison results. My machine is a P4 running at
2800MHz equipped with a Geforce3-Ti200 based graphics board. Soundboard
is some older SB-Live model. I have set all range specific settings to
maximum and use a 1600*1200 resolution. This gives me typical FPSes
around 20. Lowering the resolution does not improve significantly.
System runs with Windows2000.
If this topic is not of common interest, please feel free to mail me
privately.

Greetings, Guido
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:22:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Guido Hörster wrote:
>
> Michael Hughes wrote:
> >
> > Locate the "Show FPS" line in the [General] section of Morrowind.ini and
> > change the value to 1.
>
> I am thinking about upgrading my graphics hardware and would be
> interested in some comparison results. My machine is a P4 running at
> 2800MHz equipped with a Geforce3-Ti200 based graphics board. Soundboard
> is some older SB-Live model. I have set all range specific settings to
> maximum and use a 1600*1200 resolution. This gives me typical FPSes
> around 20. Lowering the resolution does not improve significantly.
> System runs with Windows2000.
> If this topic is not of common interest, please feel free to mail me
> privately.
>
> Greetings, Guido

Its interesting to me as I'm thinking about an upgrade at the moment as
well. In some of my really mod-heavy areas (Vivec especially) my
framerate is probably about 5....
January 4, 2005 3:50:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

> If this topic is not of common interest, please feel free to mail me
> privately.
>
> Greetings, Guido

Important in this case is your brain and eyes.
For "normal" looking is needed a framerate of more than 15.
Below 15 you will have a diashow.
So 20 is very good but more than 20 is better because of the details in your
images.

pieter
www.borrasart.com
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:58:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Pete MC wrote:
>
> Its interesting to me as I'm thinking about an upgrade at the moment as
> well. In some of my really mod-heavy areas (Vivec especially) my
> framerate is probably about 5....
What is your selected display resolution and hardware ?
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:00:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

pb wrote:

>
> Important in this case is your brain and eyes.
> For "normal" looking is needed a framerate of more than 15.
> Below 15 you will have a diashow.
> So 20 is very good but more than 20 is better because of the details in your
> images.
>
> pieter
> www.borrasart.com
>
>
in some areas or if I turn around my character very quickly, the
framerates drops below the average 20 and this in fact some sort of
"diashow"
January 4, 2005 4:09:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

> Its interesting to me as I'm thinking about an upgrade at the moment as
> well. In some of my really mod-heavy areas (Vivec especially) my
> framerate is probably about 5....

There are lots of tricks to get higher framerates.
I learned that from other flightsimmers, they work with very heavy scenery.
My workmemory is 768mb, that's very important.
Further is important a clean computer.
There is a small tool for good cleaning your memory...rambooster...
http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/ freeware...

pieter

by the way there is a prog fs-start that closes all your hidden programms
that are working, by changing the path you can use also for morrowind.
I will put it on my site...you can find it here
http://www.borrasart.com/fsasv1111.zip
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:08:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

pb wrote:
>
> > Its interesting to me as I'm thinking about an upgrade at the moment as
> > well. In some of my really mod-heavy areas (Vivec especially) my
> > framerate is probably about 5....
>
> There are lots of tricks to get higher framerates.
> I learned that from other flightsimmers, they work with very heavy scenery.
> My workmemory is 768mb, that's very important.
> Further is important a clean computer.
> There is a small tool for good cleaning your memory...rambooster...
> http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/ freeware...
>
> pieter
>
> by the way there is a prog fs-start that closes all your hidden programms
> that are working, by changing the path you can use also for morrowind.
> I will put it on my site...you can find it here
> http://www.borrasart.com/fsasv1111.zip

okay I'll take a look, cheers - as I said in the other post though, its
90% down to my shitty graphics card
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:11:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Jaxalot wrote:
>
> Guido Hörster wrote:
> > Pete MC wrote:
> > >
> > > Its interesting to me as I'm thinking about an upgrade at the
> moment as
> > > well. In some of my really mod-heavy areas (Vivec especially) my
> > > framerate is probably about 5....
> > What is your selected display resolution and hardware ?
>
> Morrowind's display resolution actually has a surprisingly small impact
> on frames per second.

Yeah, the main problem is my ancient Nvidia GF200 graphics card I reckon
- CPU is a P4 1.8 Ghz with 512mb ram which ought to be enough with a
decent card I would have thought, if not exactly cutting edge. What's
the group feeling on a "decent" graphics card these days - Morrowind is
the only graphics-heavy game I play so I hopefully don't need anything
as expensive as the Doom3 junkies at work are running!
January 4, 2005 8:26:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

the Doom3 junkies at work are running!

I work with fx5600, works perfect but my old fx5200 will also be ok
In my memory...cheap carts.

pieter
www.borrasart.com
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:02:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Pete MC wrote:

> Yeah, the main problem is my ancient Nvidia GF200 graphics card I reckon
> - CPU is a P4 1.8 Ghz with 512mb ram which ought to be enough with a
> decent card I would have thought, if not exactly cutting edge.

I have a somewhat dated Geforce FX 5200, it runs Morrowind okay but not
super-fast. Second- or third-last generation videocards are cheap as
dirt, so any investment is worthwhile. Just don't get the
latest-greatest card, it will be cheap as dirt in few months anyways.

512 MB RAM isn't too much, I'd upgrade here as well. The Morrowind
system requirements are a joke, but that's a common bad habit of the
gaming industry: Write the currently most common system spec on the box
instead of telling the truth, might pull off some potential buyers.

P4 1.8 GHz sounds good enough, no need to upgrade here. CPU speed isn't
so overly important as those guys in computer stores try to tell you. At
least for gaming.

I'd love to see Bethedsa games ported to Macintosh, as games run
generally more stable and reliable on that platform, but seems there
hasn't been much demand for that.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:48:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

"pb" <arrob747@hotmail.com> wrote in news:D DhCd.292$VR2.279@amstwist00:

> Is there inside morrowind a possibility to see the framerates in the
> same way as in flightsimulation?
>
> pieter
> www.borrasart.com
>
>

For what it's worth, I'm running an Athlon 200 XP (1800mhz) with a gig of
ram and a radeon 9800-128, and I have seen framerates in excess of 100fps
in many areas, especially interiors with static lighting and not many
objects. Still, I get bogged down sometimes under 30 and occasionally
under 20 in Balmora (which I've added some things to), but that's also
using the FPS optimizer to jack the maximum view distance up by a factor of
three (which is just about enough that you can see all the way across a
cell from one side of it - way more than anyone should ever need, but I
like getting nice screenshots).

And, since the X*** series are out now, the 9800s have come down a bit,
which is also nice.

--
John Henry
"The Canadian people seem very friendly. I was happy to see them waving
with all five fingers." - George Bush tips his hand, 01Dec2004
www.lowgenius.com
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:50:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Peter Strempel wrote:
>
> Pete MC wrote:
>
> > Yeah, the main problem is my ancient Nvidia GF200 graphics card I reckon
> > - CPU is a P4 1.8 Ghz with 512mb ram which ought to be enough with a
> > decent card I would have thought, if not exactly cutting edge.
>
> I have a somewhat dated Geforce FX 5200, it runs Morrowind okay but not
> super-fast. Second- or third-last generation videocards are cheap as
> dirt, so any investment is worthwhile. Just don't get the
> latest-greatest card, it will be cheap as dirt in few months anyways.

Very true! I'll have a look round Maplins and see what's sensible money

> 512 MB RAM isn't too much, I'd upgrade here as well.

I would but as is the way with "off the shelf" boxes, that 512mb manages
to take up _all_ my DIMM slots, which would make upgrading to 1Gb kinda
pricey I would have thought?
!