24 pin PSU for new rig?

forthill

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Hi.
I have a (ashamed to say...) Albatron KX18D Pro motherboard that I'm still using. I am planning on purchasing a new socket 939 mobo (probably a Biostar TForce6100) as well as an AMD X3800+ cpu.

The PSU in my current case is an Antec True Power 430W but it has a 20 pin connector. I don't think it has the extra 4 pin connector piece from what I can see. Anyway, the Biostar is a 24 pin connector mb. So do I really need a new PSU (24 pin) or can I still use my Antec 20-pin PSU?
I know they make the little 24 pin connector/adapter but not sure if this really does anything for me.

My options *might* be:
1 - keep 20 pin PSU and use it with new mobo (might be unstable?)
2 - keep 20 pin PSU and get 4 pin connector/adapter and use with new mobo
3 - get new psu

If the concensus is to #3 get new psu then I see some of them state they have a "20-pin +4 pin" connector and other say they have just a 24-pin connector. Not sure what the difference is and if I really need to care about the difference.

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
forthill

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Why not consider AM2, which leaves more future upgrade options and newer technology?

If you do not plan to build a powerful system, then just buy a 20 to 24 pin adapter.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
what video card? if ur planning onboard the current PSU will be fine, the 6100 is a very capable video card.

as far as adapters not really needed. the extra 4 pins power the PCI-e plugs aka videocards. As far as i know i believe the adapter doesnt really help.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Option 3 is your only option. You will need 24 pin no matter what you build, and chances are you will need more juice for a contemporary video card.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Option 3 is your only option. You will need 24 pin no matter what you build, and chances are you will need more juice for a contemporary video card.

Lie.

If you are gonan use onboard gfx u dont need 24 pin. if ur gonna use a low end videocard u still prolly wont need 24 pin.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
The 24 pin main power connector was added in ATX 12V 2.0 to provide extra power needed by PCI-Express slots. The 20 pin main power cable only has one 12 volt line. The new 24 pin connector added one line apiece for ground, 3.3, 5, and 12 volts. The extra 4 pins are not separate rails. They're just extra lines to provide more current to the same rails. you can plug a 20 pin cable into a 24 pin motherboard and it will work just fine. At least, it will for a while. They added those extra 4 pins for a reason. When you plug a 20 pin cable into a 24 pin connector you're not providing the extra current carrying capacity which may be needed by the motherboard. If your motherboard's current requirements are low enough then it will work properly with only a 20 pin power cabled plugged in.

forthill

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Ok everyone, thanks for your replies.

As it appears the 20+4-pin power supplies seem to be equivalent to those with a single 24-pin connector then I'll go with one of those.

forthill

HelzBelz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
Ok everyone, thanks for your replies.

As it appears the 20+4-pin power supplies seem to be equivalent to those with a single 24-pin connector then I'll go with one of those.

forthill

Stop there: they're NOT equivalent!

Power Supplies can have either a 20 or 24pin main connector, both with/without an extra "4-pin auxiliary power" square connector (introduced in the newer standard called ATX12V).

Here's why: the majority of new motherboards require the extra 4pin square connection, which is physically separate (located away) from the 20 or 24pin main connection.

In the case of the Biostar TForce6100: look carefully at the board, and you will notice the extra 4pin connection, just behind the USB/Ethernet ports. I looked at these pictures from Newegg.

So here's what you can do:

1) Since your overall power requirements will remain low, and considering you already have a pretty adequate Antec True Power 430W, you can easily get away with a 20 to 24pin adaptor to your motherboard. Plus, I'm pretty sure your P/S already has the extra 4-pin auxiliary (square) connector. If not, you can also get a Molex to 4pin adaptor for that purpose.

or 2) go on the extra safe side and get yourself a new power supply...

If you ask me: keep your current P/S! I use 1 or 2 adaptors all the time for transplanting perfectly good Power Supplies into newer systems that won't be used with top-of-the-line graphics cards or won't be overclocked.

Hope I didn't confuse you even more!

Regards,

HelzBelz

Edited: I just searched for info on your Antec TP 430W P/S, and yes, you should already have the 4pin ATX12 square connector. I looked at the pictures in this review at PCStats !

So, you only need one adaptor: 20 to 24pin (instead of a new P/S). Keep your money!

:D

forthill

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Right, if I go on the extra safe side and I go for a PSU with a 20+4 then I would be ok because the newer PSU’s I’ve seen have 20+4 plus they also have the extra +4. I looked at the board layout from the Biostar manual and the extra 4 (of the 20+4) have pinouts of +5v, +5v, +5, ground. The other 4-pin board connection (JATXPWR2) has pinouts of +12v, +12v, ground, ground. The manual also said that the JATXPWR2 is used to provide +12v to the cpu power circuit. I’d have to look at a schematic of one of those 20-to-24 pin adaptors to see if the extra 4 pins pull power from the original 20 pins to get the same configuration (of +5v, +5v, +5v, ground).

I might also get the new PSU because someone else told me that my Antec True Power 430W has output of +12v@20A and the newer boards today (not sure of Biostar) need a minimum of +12v@26A. Not sure how true this is. I really should post on the motherboard forum to ask those that have the T6100 if they have a psu with 1- a 20 pin connector only, 2- a 20 pin connector with a 20-to-24 pin adaptor, or 3- a 24 pin connector.

forthill

HelzBelz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
... I’d have to look at a schematic of one of those 20-to-24 pin adaptors to see if the extra 4 pins pull power from the original 20 pins to get the same configuration (of +5v, +5v, +5v, ground) ...

You've got it: that's exactly what the 20 to 24pin adaptors do.

20Amps on the 12V rail is more than enough for the Biostar mATX board you're considering, especially when using the integrated graphics.

Whatever you do, don't go with 20pins only.

Good luck!

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
... I’d have to look at a schematic of one of those 20-to-24 pin adaptors to see if the extra 4 pins pull power from the original 20 pins to get the same configuration (of +5v, +5v, +5v, ground) ...

You've got it: that's exactly what the 20 to 24pin adaptors do.

20Amps on the 12V rail is more than enough for the Biostar mATX board you're considering, especially when using the integrated graphics.

Whatever you do, don't go with 20pins only.

Good luck!

my good ness...RAWR!!

20 pins will be fine. the adapter only takes the voltage running from the original 12v cable and splits it into 2. Which gives u no extra power it just splits the power u already have.

TRUST ME. 20 pin will run that mATX system.