ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The Antec Neo claims to be super energy efficient and save you money. I imagine that claim is compared to the cheapest of power supplies. I'd also presume that the energy savings of the NEO would be under $2 compared to Antec Smartpower or Thermaltake TR2? If that is the case, its $40CAN higher price tag compared to TR2 doesn't seem worth it. If I have the PSU for 4years, I doubt it will save me anywhere near $10 in energy bills but perhaps I'm wrong on that one.
As well, I just read about the new Antec TruePower Trio 430. How does this PSU stack up against the NEO 430? Both are the same price. I think I've narrowed my choice down between the Neo or the Trio simply because they have three +12V rails and the others dont. I also know that better options for my money may exist out there somewhere but I'm ordering parts from a local custom builder and don't have as many choices as I would on newegg. I can't use newegg since I live in Canada so please don't link to that site. A-power.com is where I'm currently ordering and I have yet to see CAN prices cheaper than it plus the place is local so no shipping fees.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
The standard TruePower series generally has an efficiency of about 70%.

The NeoHE has an efficiency of about 80-85% dependent on load.

However, the new TruePower Trio is advertised as 'upto' 85% efficiency.

So it's very difficult to decide between the new TP and the NeoHE.

You're also forgetting that the NeoHE series is a quieter PSU than the other Antecs (save for the Phantom) so if you can afford it and noise is a consideration then I'd get the NeoHE. In fact I have, I've got the 430w and 550w.

I don't consider modular PSU's to be a poor design, though, personally. I find them convenient - less unneccessary wires in the case.