Arctic Silver Burn In

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
i just bought a scythe ninja heatsink for my amd 4200+. when i installed it i used arctic silver 5.

now, when i boot up my system (with the ninja fan attached and on), my sytem idles at 36c. this may seem low for many people, but i idled at 30c with the amd STOCK cooler.

so my question is, i know that you have a so-called burn-in period when using as5, but should this lower cooling performance? and if so, how long do i have to deal with this? i have heard of burn in periods taking 200 hours before the as5 is fully set.

allred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I'm not a fan of scythe heatsinks, I find they are worse than the stock for coolling performance. Quiter, yes, but hotter too.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
In my personal experience; run Prime95 on SML FTT setting if you have one core or if an X2 run two instances with one as BLEND and one as SML FTT. Run it/them over night (8 or so hrs), then turn your system off for another 8hrs and the next time you power-up you should see a 5c or so decease in temps.

aviljoen

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I run the 4000+ 939 chip, I know its a single core cpu but my cpu idles at 28-30C using a XP120 heatsink, just 2 days ago I replaced my MB with a A8n-Sli Premium board and I just resued the AS5 that was already on it, this thinnest of layer there and I am getting 28 - 30C so either you put too much AS5 or the heasink is not seated properly, try gently swivel the heasink to eliminate any air pockets or thin the paste out, I have not had the burn in process on mine yet and my temps are fine, if any thing, my MB reports 37C and cpu 28c, that puzzles me.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I just resued the AS5 that was already on it, this thinnest of layer there.

8O . o O (So you took the HSF off, popped off the CPU, put it on your other MB, and just installed the HSF?)

Ummm.. you are suppose to redo the thermal compound, but I guess since your happy with your temps, that's all that really should matter.

The differences in temp reading are going to be different, when comparing to other people temps. Not everyones going to have the same MB, room temps, HSF setups, and PC cases.

For different MB brands, they don't use the same method, since there isn't a standard. You can use the same CPU on different MB brand and get different results.

aviljoen

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Yep, I just relayered the thermal paste thinner over the cpu, installed back on, job done, not entirely happy with the MB temp but it isn't too high to worry about at the moment, system runs fine.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Apply thinly, about .003" okay really thin like you could see the surface thin. It should take about 200 hours of operation for complete burn in.

Agreed. Under very high magnification the CPU and HSF surfaces actually appear very rough and jagged. Thermal compound's sole purpose is to fill in these pits to maximize the contact surface area, thus maximizing heat flow.

I recommend wiping off and reapplying more Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU EVERY time you remove and reseat the HSF. This goes for graphics cards too if you want to put a aftermarket cooler on the GPU as well.

xJedix

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Question.... I recently built a new computer, with a e6600.

my idle temps origionally around 42-44C, load 55-56C

tried redoing the heatsink.... I cleaned off both heatsink, and cpu. re-applied the artic silver 5. Used as small amount as i could.
But my temps only decreased a little.
idle- 41-42C, load 52-55C

that was about a week ago that I re-applied it.

Any other ideas? I'm using the HSF that came with my e6600. I'm new at this stuff, so idk. Maybe I am stilling using to much artic silver 5?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

microgiant

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
If you want to play a little but you could try to put the old heatsink back on and verify you were getting better temps. Maybe it was a fluke? Or maybe there is a problem with the new heatsink...