EPSON R200 print directly to CD

I have been under impressed with the epson print cd software and would
like to use another package with the direct to cd features of this
printer for cd labeling. I have tried a few other packages, but have
been unable to figure out how to make them work and print directly to
cd ... does anyone have any pointers -- or perhaps instructions on
setting up a template?
13 answers Last reply
More about epson r200 print directly

    > I have been under impressed with the epson print cd software and would
    > like to use another package with the direct to cd features of this
    > printer for cd labeling.

    I've seen worse. The Canon software for example is much more
    underimpressing.

    http://www.surething.com/ST/
    Surething I remember has a template for the r200 and r800. From the
    menu they look the same though i know the r800 tray is a different
    style. In theory one could use the existing templates and actually
    find an online database of disc face sizes and not have to remember
    numbers nor manually adjust as soon as switch media. Used surething
    once or twice... was more full featured than the Epson software.
    Import playlists from the disc or from a play list. A plethra of
    design templates some of them even tasteful, but most are simply black
    circles with garish logos like CD taking up 1/3 of the disc space.

    Personaly, I prefered working in photoshop scanning in a disc and
    creating a basic template from that. Paste into it and use the stock
    disc printing software, which really all I need it to do is take my
    image, use as a background, and print.

    > why? doesn't seem to support direct printing except with light-scribe cd
    > writers.

    If you're not going to trust him, trust me. I have the demo and have
    used it on the R200 a few times. It supports direct disc printing on
    many printers including the Epson R series, Primera including the
    Signature series, Microboards, Affex, Versadyne, and others. The demo
    is at least largish, about 25meg, but in today's world that's no big
    deal. Most useful IMHO are the clipart logos which include different
    CD and DVD designations, useful as full faced printable discs don't say
    if they are CDs or DVDs.

    Light-scribe support is new to me.

    Check out www.surething.com

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > why? doesn't seem to support direct printing except with light-scribe cd
    > > writers.
    >
    > If you're not going to trust him, trust me. I have the demo and have
    > used it on the R200 a few times. It supports direct disc printing on
    > many printers including the Epson R series, Primera including the
    > Signature series, Microboards, Affex, Versadyne, and others. The demo
    > is at least largish, about 25meg, but in today's world that's no big
    > deal. Most useful IMHO are the clipart logos which include different
    > CD and DVD designations, useful as full faced printable discs don't say
    > if they are CDs or DVDs.
    >
    > Light-scribe support is new to me.

    Seems they're missing a market by not indicating that on their website. Except
    for lightscribe, all they talk about is printing to labels.

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:20:59 GMT, "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote:

    >"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > why? doesn't seem to support direct printing except with light-scribe cd
    >> > writers.
    >>
    >> If you're not going to trust him, trust me. I have the demo and have
    >> used it on the R200 a few times. It supports direct disc printing on
    >> many printers including the Epson R series, Primera including the
    >> Signature series, Microboards, Affex, Versadyne, and others. The demo
    >> is at least largish, about 25meg, but in today's world that's no big
    >> deal. Most useful IMHO are the clipart logos which include different
    >> CD and DVD designations, useful as full faced printable discs don't say
    >> if they are CDs or DVDs.
    >>
    >> Light-scribe support is new to me.
    >>

    >Seems they're missing a market by not indicating that on their website. Except
    >for lightscribe, all they talk about is printing to labels.

    Under Select Label Stock it has a CD/DVD Printer option + a large list of
    printers, one being Epson and a large number of models

    "Tony" <ts@nospam.comn> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:20:59 GMT, "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote:
    >

    > >"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> If you're not going to trust him, trust me. I have the demo and have
    > >> used it on the R200 a few times. It supports direct disc printing on
    > >> many printers including the Epson R series, Primera including the
    > >> Signature series, Microboards, Affex, Versadyne, and others. The demo
    > >> is at least largish, about 25meg, but in today's world that's no big
    > >> deal. Most useful IMHO are the clipart logos which include different
    > >> CD and DVD designations, useful as full faced printable discs don't say
    > >> if they are CDs or DVDs.
    > >>
    > >> Light-scribe support is new to me.
    > >>

    > >Seems they're missing a market by not indicating that on their website.
    Except
    > >for lightscribe, all they talk about is printing to labels.
    > >

    > Under Select Label Stock it has a CD/DVD Printer option + a large list of
    > printers, one being Epson and a large number of models

    You're missing the point! Supporting the printer is one thing. Supporting the
    printer's CD carrier and direct CD print function is another.

    Nowhere in their write-ups do they talk about anything other than printing to
    LABELS. And given the fact that their supported printer list freely mixes
    printers that don't support direct printing with printers that do support direct
    printing further re-inforces that they seem to be just talking about printing on
    labels -- not on a CD.

    The system level R200 printer driver does not even have CD as a media option --
    only the epson supplied cd print application seems to know about the CD carrier,
    the layout of the resulting 'page', and the amount of ink to be put down on a CD
    as a 'media' choice -- the system level driver does not.

    So if they support it, they need to take over the functions of the epson cd
    print application, and there is no indication that their software does that.

    "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > The system level R200 printer driver does not even have CD as a media
    > option --

    Mine does.

    > only the epson supplied cd print application seems to know about the CD
    > carrier,
    > the layout of the resulting 'page', and the amount of ink to be put down
    > on a CD
    > as a 'media' choice -- the system level driver does not.

    Check yours carefully - its there if you look for it.

    "Anna Daptor" <Anna@radio.active.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >

    > > The system level R200 printer driver does not even have CD as a media
    > > option --
    >
    > Mine does.
    >
    > > only the epson supplied cd print application seems to know about the CD
    > > carrier,
    > > the layout of the resulting 'page', and the amount of ink to be put down
    > > on a CD
    > > as a 'media' choice -- the system level driver does not.
    > >
    > Check yours carefully - its there if you look for it.

    You're right -- under 'manual' where it forces the size to A4. [I expected to
    see 'carrier' or something like that.]

    So the only thing that remains is if the software in question has a template for
    the carrier.

    > "Anna Daptor" <Anna@radio.active.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>

    >> > The system level R200 printer driver does not even have CD as a media
    >> > option --
    >>
    >> Mine does.
    >>
    >> > only the epson supplied cd print application seems to know about the CD
    >> > carrier,
    >> > the layout of the resulting 'page', and the amount of ink to be put
    >> > down
    >> > on a CD
    >> > as a 'media' choice -- the system level driver does not.
    >> >
    >> Check yours carefully - its there if you look for it.
    >>

    > You're right -- under 'manual' where it forces the size to A4. [I
    > expected to
    > see 'carrier' or something like that.]
    >
    > So the only thing that remains is if the software in question has a
    > template for
    > the carrier.

    Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker has the template(s), and so has Nero's Cover
    Designer.

    > Think it could be a New Feature, Web sites do have a habit of being way out of
    > date..

    The lightscribe is newer actually. Downloaded my version 98 days ago
    and it supported epson then.

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:09:26 GMT, "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote:

    >"Tony" <ts@nospam.comn> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:20:59 GMT, "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> >Seems they're missing a market by not indicating that on their website.
    >Except
    >> >for lightscribe, all they talk about is printing to labels.
    >> >

    >> Under Select Label Stock it has a CD/DVD Printer option + a large list of
    >> printers, one being Epson and a large number of models
    >>

    >You're missing the point! Supporting the printer is one thing. Supporting the
    >printer's CD carrier and direct CD print function is another.

    It also list 2 Epson Tray types as well.

    >Nowhere in their write-ups do they talk about anything other than printing to
    >LABELS. And given the fact that their supported printer list freely mixes
    >printers that don't support direct printing with printers that do support direct
    >printing further re-inforces that they seem to be just talking about printing on
    >labels -- not on a CD.

    Think it could be a New Feature, Web sites do have a habit of being way out of
    date..

    >The system level R200 printer driver does not even have CD as a media option --
    >only the epson supplied cd print application seems to know about the CD carrier,
    >the layout of the resulting 'page', and the amount of ink to be put down on a CD
    >as a 'media' choice -- the system level driver does not.
    >
    >So if they support it, they need to take over the functions of the epson cd
    >print application, and there is no indication that their software does that.

  13. I use this CD cover creator because it is easy to use and can make not only CD labels but origami CD cases and paper sleeves.

Printers Epson CD-Rom Peripherals