Clean Windows 7 install vs vendor Windows 7

peanutmanak47

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
In one of my computer courses my teacher asked us to find out proof that windows 7 install clean makes your computer a lot faster than if you just install the OS disk you get from the manufacture. I've searched all over the place and every website I visit says it does which I figured it would but my teacher is asking for proof of it.

Every site I visit just talks about it without have running test or at least showing results from timing things and all that.

Does anyone happen to know a website that actually timed things and tested it for fact?

No, a PC will not be a LOT faster with a non-OEM install, but it will probably start up faster. Also, my recent experience with HP PCs is that some of the OEM software that they install is aimed at educating ordinary users in maintaining their PCs and preventing common problems like updating old drivers, backing up documents, and regular hardware diagnostics.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Nothing prevents you from cleaning up some of the startup gunk from OEM installs. Especially with laptops or workstations I prefer to use OEM recovery media since many of the more exotic hardware is not recognized out of the box, forcing you to spend considerable time to get it working as intended. Chances are by the time you installed all the drivers and software you want, the boot time will be equal or minutely faster than OEM installs, with the difference that you wasted hours looking for drivers.

I find it more efficient to use msconfig and remove unneeded startup tools than waste my time looking for drivers and installing them one by one.