Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
OK so i made a 20gb NTFS partition on my brand new OEM 400gb Western Digital SATA hard drive. I'm Using this strictly for system files. now i boot up windows and all i c is the 20gb partition and nothing else. Were did the other 380 Gb go and how do i get it back?

Go to Start, Run, type in compmgmt.msc

Select the Disk Management tab. The rest of the space should be there. As soon as you make a partition (make it a primary partition, NOT and extended partition) and format it, it should show up in My Computer.

kornyman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
You can also go to Start--> Run and type in mmc, then click File-->Add/Remove Snapp In, Add, then select whichever snap-ins you want from the list. You can also save the console layout as a custom mmc. I like to use it that way.

Easiest way to get to disk managment imo is to right click on My computer and select "manage" then click on disk management in the left pane.

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
right-click My Computer, go to manage, select disk management in the left pane. You will have to format that 380gigs before the system will detect it.

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
OK so i made a 20gb NTFS partition on my brand new OEM 400gb Western Digital SATA hard drive. I'm Using this strictly for system files. now i boot up windows and all i c is the 20gb partition and nothing else. Were did the other 380 Gb go and how do i get it back?

Easiest way is to not waste your time partioning. Get a second drive they're cheap enough now a days. Also if the 400gb goes bad you'll still loose the partition and you're data, a partition isn't a magic storage box that's uneffected by what happens to the HDD. Next thing you'll ask where can you get a 5.25 floppy.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
He can also click Start>RUN and type "compmgmt" without the quotes in the run dialouge. :roll:

Windows OS's cannot use unpartitioned free space until a partition is created then formatted.

As to how doing this is a waste of time I'm at a loss to understand.
That's like buying an icecream cone to eat one bite of it, then buying another one because they're inexpensive. :wink:

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
who knew there were so many options to do the same thing?
i "Think" he Might know what to do now...but just to be sure
go to start
control panel
administive tools
Computer management
storage
blah blah
:lol: