Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon doesn't want professional, high-end users.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
June 18, 2005 1:00:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In all fairness to Canon, XP-64 has only been around a very short
time, and most systems that are being targeted for the home user don't
even have XP-pro which would qualify the user for a free upgrade to
XP-64 till the end of July. And anything that can run XP-64 can also
run the 32bit version. So yes, low demand for consumer grade support
at this time. Hardly new. We had to go through this game between
win98 and win2k, and between win3.1 and win95. Heck, even using NT 4.0
was annoying with the excuse, "We're sorry you are using something too
professional for us to support, if you can afford NT you can afford
more money" when Workstation was cheaper than 98 at Costco.

But it doesn't answer the reason question... how well do the present
Canon 32bit drivers work under XP-64. If they don't, then is there a
3rd party classic BJ driver that would at least offer minimum
functionality in the interim.
June 19, 2005 12:23:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I don't believe any 32bit drivers work under XP 64.

32bit applications will for the most part, but not 32bit drivers.

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1119079587.946135.224080@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> In all fairness to Canon, XP-64 has only been around a very short
> time, and most systems that are being targeted for the home user don't
> even have XP-pro which would qualify the user for a free upgrade to
> XP-64 till the end of July. And anything that can run XP-64 can also
> run the 32bit version. So yes, low demand for consumer grade support
> at this time. Hardly new. We had to go through this game between
> win98 and win2k, and between win3.1 and win95. Heck, even using NT 4.0
> was annoying with the excuse, "We're sorry you are using something too
> professional for us to support, if you can afford NT you can afford
> more money" when Workstation was cheaper than 98 at Costco.
>
> But it doesn't answer the reason question... how well do the present
> Canon 32bit drivers work under XP-64. If they don't, then is there a
> 3rd party classic BJ driver that would at least offer minimum
> functionality in the interim.
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:25:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In fairness to Canon, I don't think that's what the article implies, nor
do the quotes within it from a "Canon Tech' (hardly an official source,
as well).

I think what the Canon Tech is stating is that for the time being the 64
bit OS is being adopted principally by high end professional users, and
as such, they will be first conversing the drivers for machines they
make that are targeted to that professional market, while they are
taking a wait and see attitude regarding printers and peripherals which
are less likely to be used by people in the high end professional
market, who use a 64 bit operating system.

He did not state that Canon has ruled out making drivers for other
market areas for their printers, but that it will depend upon response
and need.

Art


mpx wrote:

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24004
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:28:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I believe there are quite a few 'in box' drivers being offered with the
operating system. The quality of those drivers probably varies
considerably. I agree with the majority of your comments.

Art

zakezuke wrote:

> In all fairness to Canon, XP-64 has only been around a very short
> time, and most systems that are being targeted for the home user don't
> even have XP-pro which would qualify the user for a free upgrade to
> XP-64 till the end of July. And anything that can run XP-64 can also
> run the 32bit version. So yes, low demand for consumer grade support
> at this time. Hardly new. We had to go through this game between
> win98 and win2k, and between win3.1 and win95. Heck, even using NT 4.0
> was annoying with the excuse, "We're sorry you are using something too
> professional for us to support, if you can afford NT you can afford
> more money" when Workstation was cheaper than 98 at Costco.
>
> But it doesn't answer the reason question... how well do the present
> Canon 32bit drivers work under XP-64. If they don't, then is there a
> 3rd party classic BJ driver that would at least offer minimum
> functionality in the interim.
>
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:55:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> In fairness to Canon, I don't think that's what the article implies,
> nor do the quotes within it from a "Canon Tech' (hardly an official
> source, as well).
>
> I think what the Canon Tech is stating is that for the time being the
> 64 bit OS is being adopted principally by high end professional users,
> and as such, they will be first conversing the drivers for machines
> they make that are targeted to that professional market, while they
> are taking a wait and see attitude regarding printers and peripherals
> which are less likely to be used by people in the high end
> professional market, who use a 64 bit operating system.


As alway, many early adopters for the newer high powered desktops happen
to be gamers, graphics hobbyists and tinkerers like you find on this and
many other newsgroups.

>
> He did not state that Canon has ruled out making drivers for other
> market areas for their printers, but that it will depend upon response
> and need.
>
> Art
>
>
> mpx wrote:
>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24004
>
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:29:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
news:zPete.804$Bx6.697@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> In fairness to Canon, I don't think that's what the article implies, nor
>> do the quotes within it from a "Canon Tech' (hardly an official source,
>> as well).
>>
>> I think what the Canon Tech is stating is that for the time being the 64
>> bit OS is being adopted principally by high end professional users, and
>> as such, they will be first conversing the drivers for machines they make
>> that are targeted to that professional market, while they are taking a
>> wait and see attitude regarding printers and peripherals which are less
>> likely to be used by people in the high end professional market, who use
>> a 64 bit operating system.
>
>
> As alway, many early adopters for the newer high powered desktops happen
> to be gamers, graphics hobbyists and tinkerers like you find on this and
> many other newsgroups.
>

In cases of Hardware I may agree with this, but there would be no reason for
'gamers' to run out and grab the 64bit OS if the software (game) has no
support for it.

Getting back on topic, a peripheral manufacture is not going to rush to
support every product they have in an OS that is not considered mainstream.
XP-64 at this time is a very minute portion of the install base.
June 20, 2005 6:38:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> I believe there are quite a few 'in box' drivers being offered with the
> operating system. The quality of those drivers probably varies
> considerably. I agree with the majority of your comments.
>
> Art
>
> zakezuke wrote:
>
>> In all fairness to Canon, XP-64 has only been around a very short
>> time, and most systems that are being targeted for the home user don't
>> even have XP-pro which would qualify the user for a free upgrade to
>> XP-64 till the end of July. And anything that can run XP-64 can also
>> run the 32bit version. So yes, low demand for consumer grade support
>> at this time. Hardly new. We had to go through this game between
>> win98 and win2k, and between win3.1 and win95. Heck, even using NT 4.0
>> was annoying with the excuse, "We're sorry you are using something too
>> professional for us to support, if you can afford NT you can afford
>> more money" when Workstation was cheaper than 98 at Costco.
>>
>> But it doesn't answer the reason question... how well do the present
>> Canon 32bit drivers work under XP-64. If they don't, then is there a
>> 3rd party classic BJ driver that would at least offer minimum
>> functionality in the interim.


x64 has skimpy built-in drivers and you cannot use any 32-bit drivers.
Microsoft has to release x64 Windows to get manufacturers to catch up
with drivers and software developments. Not even Adobe Acrobat works
completely under x64 because the PDF writer driver is 32-bit which does
NOT get installed. I hope Canon saying that just to give them some lead
time to release a 64-bit driver slowly. But they have the tendency not
supporting old hardware, especially low end models. The new and higher
price printers would certainly get attention though, aka 9900, etc.

This is not just this niche Win XP x64, but I think Longhorn might use
the similar driver model and so everybody needs to update their drivers
sooner or later.
!