Need comments to know if everything is Ok

AlbertX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Hello guys, I am a long time Toms Hardware forums reader, but afeter many years only reading I took the time to register and make a question to all of you who know and have more experience than me in computers parts.

First of all I must say I am Writing from Venezuela, unfortunately we dont have as much variety as you guys over there, and everything is almos twice as expensive.

I have an old system so I decided to go for a new Rigg (by the way what does that mean?)

This are the specs:

I got the Pentium D 805 since it can be overclocked a lot I know 930 are better but this is cheapest cheapest one in here, cost me 150 dollars, the closes one to this is almost 300$.

I got ASUS P5WD2 Premium (no I didnt want the premium version but is the only asus mobo I found in here, and is the only good brand that we have for sockey 775)

Also I got an MSI ATI X1900XT.

A Zalman 9500 cooler (this a friend of mine brought it from USA)

But now my biggest concern are these three things:

The PSU I found a Antec
this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

My concer is: will that PSU be enough to overclock the Pentium D 805 and and also work with the ATI video card, and 3 SATA 2 250GB hard Drives 1 Audigy sound card one DVDRW LG and 2GB of memory?

Second One:
I got Kingston memory, 5300 667, 2 stick of 1Gb each.

I was trying to find reviews to know if kingston is good for overclock or not I dont understand much about those weird times that many of you mention, like 4-4-4-10 or something like that, and you play with that to overclock, I dont know what they mean or are for, so I dont Know if that is a good memory since i could find any place to do reviews of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134046

that is the memory.

And finally I wanted a nice case, but also a case that serve me to put mi LCD monitor over it since I have no more space for towers.

So I got the Thermaltake Mozart, is an HTTP case I believe is kind of cool (only without the nice lcd screen :-( ) what I would like to know is does that case will work for my Rigg? what about Heat? it is ok or I will need more fans?

That is mostly everythin thanks a lot.

And dont tell me to wait for Conroe 2, is taking a little time over there imagine how much it will take over here and at what price (the freaking videocard is costing me 600$) so imagine the prices of everything in here, and I have 4 years saving, thanks.

notquitehere188

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I have an old system so I decided to go for a new Rigg (by the way what does that mean?)

you seem to know what it means, but rig is just another word for something that is put together

My concer is: will that PSU be enough to overclock the Pentium D 805 and and also work with the ATI video card, and 3 SATA 2 250GB hard Drives 1 Audigy sound card one DVDRW LG and 2GB of memory?

the PSU should be good enough, I think that it is just dual video cards that requires the big PSUs

Second One:
I got Kingston memory, 5300 667, 2 stick of 1Gb each.

I was trying to find reviews to know if kingston is good for overclock or not I dont understand much about those weird times that many of you mention, like 4-4-4-10 or something like that, and you play with that to overclock, I dont know what they mean or are for, so I dont Know if that is a good memory since i could find any place to do reviews of it.

those numbers are just latencys of different types, lower is better, but it does not make much of a difference, getting faster ram would help, but according to one of the reviews there, you can get to DDR-800 with it anyway

i dunno about the case, i hardly see any cases like that

AlbertX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks a lot for your comments, Even thou I know for what RIG is used I was just wondering the meaning of every letter.

Anyone else could tell me if Kingston is good or bad and what about the case? more comments on the PSU will be also appreciated, thanks.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
RIG is just slang for "computer", it has no other meaning. That PSU is enough for your needs (even if you overclock the processor). It meets one really important criteria that people often overlook and that is amps.

Having a dual 12v rail system is good but, the PSU is further confirmed by the strong amps it has (19 per rail) - very good.

As for your case - it should do fine but a word to the wise. Make sure that you do have a fan for the top vent. Draw air in from one source (either the back or the top) and expel air in the other. Make sure that nothing is obstructing eith the back fans or the top one.

jarchow

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
You're not running sli, so that power supply will be more than adequate.
Here is a decent explanation of what the RAM timings mean: http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-info-ram-timings-dummies.html
Nice looking case. Will certainly have less stress on the mb from the cooler than if it were vertical. But, I haven't worked with the case, so don't know if there is anything to suggest inside the case.
If you get into some serious overclocking with the 805, you may want to look into some of the water cooling solutions. My brother just went through this, so make sure whatever you pick is made to work with a 775 chip. This is what he used: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835124007
Good luck.