  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 6, 2005 2:15:36 PM

This problem has recently cropped up, and it seems to be getting worse.
Sometimes, when I open my inventory, the rollover descriptors on the items
don't work, so you can't tell what they are. Since so many items in this
game look exactly alike, this can be a serious problem. Items in inventory,
items on the character portrait, and items in containers all suffer from
this. The only items that work are those found loose on the ground. (I can
drop items from my inventory on the ground and look at them to figure out
what they are, but this is a pain.) I can usually get the descriptors to
come back by repeatedly openning and closing my inventory, looking at items
on the ground, and just basically flailing around until it works, but I've
yet to come up with any sure-fire method to make them reappear. Has anyone
else experienced this problem? And is there a way to prevent it from
happening or at least easily fix it when it does?

BTW, not running any serious 3rd-party mods, just Tribunal + Bloodmoon, and
the Master Index mod, so that shouldn't be complicating things. This bug
appeared recently, and is becoming more and more frequent. It is not
character-specific, as it happens both to my established 50+ char. and my
brand new lvl 5 char. Can't figure out what happened recently that might
cause this...

More about : disappearing item descriptors

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:33:21 PM

On Thursday 06 January 2005 11:15, Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Sometimes, when I open my inventory, the rollover descriptors on the
> items don't work, so you can't tell what they are. [..] Has anyone else
> experienced this problem? And is there a way to prevent it from
> happening or at least easily fix it when it does?

I've had this before. I cannot remember exactly what circumstances it was
under and can certainly not reproduce the problem, so I cannot provide any
information with regards to the former request.

However, there is a simple way to fix this problem that I picked up on --
unequip and re-equip a piece of armor or clothing (I have always done this
through the character portrait section of the inventory screen, but you
may be able to do it through the main section, also).
--
Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
available.

- Benford's Law of Controversy
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 10:27:13 PM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
news:p Yidnd-QUajQ_0DcRVn-uQ@giganews.com...
> This problem has recently cropped up, and it seems to be getting worse.
> Sometimes, when I open my inventory, the rollover descriptors on the items
> don't work, so you can't tell what they are. Since so many items in this
> game look exactly alike, this can be a serious problem. Items in
inventory,
> items on the character portrait, and items in containers all suffer from
> this. The only items that work are those found loose on the ground. (I
can
> drop items from my inventory on the ground and look at them to figure out
> what they are, but this is a pain.) I can usually get the descriptors to
> come back by repeatedly openning and closing my inventory, looking at
items
> on the ground, and just basically flailing around until it works, but I've
> yet to come up with any sure-fire method to make them reappear. Has
anyone
> else experienced this problem? And is there a way to prevent it from
> happening or at least easily fix it when it does?
>
> BTW, not running any serious 3rd-party mods, just Tribunal + Bloodmoon,
and
> the Master Index mod, so that shouldn't be complicating things. This bug
> appeared recently, and is becoming more and more frequent. It is not
> character-specific, as it happens both to my established 50+ char. and my
> brand new lvl 5 char. Can't figure out what happened recently that might
> cause this...

I get that alot

Simple solution is to come out of the inventory screen, press escape, press
escape again, and it should be fixed when you go back into the inventory.

Always works for me.

--
-----

Cookie McCrumble

cookiemccrumble"at"hotmail"dot"com
www.whateverhappenedtomysocks.co.uk

I like pie

Winamp is currently blaring: Guns N' Roses - You Could Be Mine
January 6, 2005 10:32:53 PM

the only thing I can think of is if you had a lot of things in your
inventory, that can slow the inventory loading and result in things like
the popup descriptions not working. but if it happens on a brand new
character as well then it's probably not that

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> This problem has recently cropped up, and it seems to be getting worse.
> Sometimes, when I open my inventory, the rollover descriptors on the items
> don't work, so you can't tell what they are. Since so many items in this
> game look exactly alike, this can be a serious problem. Items in inventory,
> items on the character portrait, and items in containers all suffer from
> this. The only items that work are those found loose on the ground. (I can
> drop items from my inventory on the ground and look at them to figure out
> what they are, but this is a pain.) I can usually get the descriptors to
> come back by repeatedly openning and closing my inventory, looking at items
> on the ground, and just basically flailing around until it works, but I've
> yet to come up with any sure-fire method to make them reappear. Has anyone
> else experienced this problem? And is there a way to prevent it from
> happening or at least easily fix it when it does?
>
> BTW, not running any serious 3rd-party mods, just Tribunal + Bloodmoon, and
> the Master Index mod, so that shouldn't be complicating things. This bug
> appeared recently, and is becoming more and more frequent. It is not
> character-specific, as it happens both to my established 50+ char. and my
> brand new lvl 5 char. Can't figure out what happened recently that might
> cause this...

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:37:06 PM

> the only thing I can think of is if you had a lot of things in your
> inventory, that can slow the inventory loading and result in things like
> the popup descriptions not working. but if it happens on a brand new
> character as well then it's probably not that

As a matter of fact, it didn't start happening to my high-level character
until soon after I STOPPED carrying a whole lot of stuff I never used.
(hundreds of scrolls, potions, rings and amulets, keys, etc.) It was
getting so I couldn't pick up a Daedric weapon without immediately casting a
Recall to bring it home, or I'd have nice runs using up my 4 Juicedaw
Feather rings in order to get to where I could get rid of some stuff. He's
now down to 200/500 weight, -50 for Redas robe. Most of that is just his
armor and weapons. Everything else is stowed at his house. I'm such a
packrat. (Going for the Redas robe was about the first thing I did with my
new char, right after getting the BoBS. Two items I cannot live without
anymore...)
!