Brother MFC-410CN causes slow boot

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 18, 2005 8:30:28 PM

Can anyone help with this? My Brother MFC-410CN all-in-one is causing
problems. If it is switched on, my PC (running Windows XP Pro, service pack
2) has an extra delay of
one minute before the Windows user ID screen comes up. If the printer is
off, no
delay.

Also I get the New Hardware Wizard starting up after boot up if the printer
is on . It seems to be finding that the card reader on the printer hasn't
been installed. Otherwise all the functions of the printer seem OK, though I
am not using the fax.

Brother support have tried to help but no success yet. I have updated the
firmware and reinstalled the latest drivers from the Brother web site.

Thanks, Bill
June 19, 2005 6:27:02 AM

If I remember correctly, the CN means that the unit has ethernet capability.
How is it connected to the PC?
One of my systems with XPproSP2 will work properly with a 620CN with the
ethernet connection and software or a USB connection. The other system is
happiest with the ethernet connection.

"Bill B" <bill.nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help with this? My Brother MFC-410CN all-in-one is causing
> problems. If it is switched on, my PC (running Windows XP Pro, service
> pack 2) has an extra delay of
> one minute before the Windows user ID screen comes up. If the printer is
> off, no
> delay.
>
> Also I get the New Hardware Wizard starting up after boot up if the
> printer
> is on . It seems to be finding that the card reader on the printer hasn't
> been installed. Otherwise all the functions of the printer seem OK, though
> I am not using the fax.
>
> Brother support have tried to help but no success yet. I have updated the
> firmware and reinstalled the latest drivers from the Brother web site.
>
> Thanks, Bill

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:22:35 PM

Thanks Chuck for your comments. I am using the USB connection, but the
printer can connect to a network. Mine is a standalone computer, but it does
have a network card which connects to my NTL cable broadband service. I
don't know if I could connect via the network port- any ideas? Bill

!