The ideal memory bus speed?

Lets say I'm running a P4 processor, system clock set to 210MHz, and FSB set to 840MHz (FSB bandwidth = 6.72GB/s) . What would the ideal memory bus speed be, for good performance? I want the memory bus speed to as low as possible, such that there are no bottlenecks between the RAM and processor. (I am asking this so that I dont have to waste electricity on excess RAM clock speeds that dont deliver significant performances, and so that I can save money by buying RAM at just the right rating.) Just to add, my motherboard will be dual channel enabled.
3 answers Last reply
More about ideal memory speed
  1. Quote:
    mpilchfamily

thanks for the reply. I was trying to get an answer for something else actually. I changed the original post to make my question clearer.
  2. Quote:
    Lets say I'm running a P4 processor, system clock set to 210MHz, and FSB set to 840MHz (FSB bandwidth = 6720GB/s) . What would the ideal memory bus speed be, for good performance? I want the memory bus speed to as low as possible, such that there are no bottlenecks between the RAM and processor. (I am asking this so that I dont have to waste electricity on excess RAM clock speeds that dont deliver significant performances, and so that I can save money by buying RAM at just the right rating.) Just to add, my motherboard will be dual channel enabled.

Whoa 6720 GB/s!!! 8O Thats quick 8O .
  3. 6720GB/s is supposed to be 6720MB/s or 6.72Gb/s. my mistake.
Ask a new question

Read More

Processors Bus Speed Memory Overclocking