louky

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
This is my first build, parts have been assembled, but my problem is that i get to this screen:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2568/506yy3.jpg

with no beeps and cannot go any further. I hit delete to enter setup and it just goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. Twice the computer has loaded directly into bios. Once with the memory in slot A1 and the other time in slot A2. On both occasions it was the first time I had memory in the slot.

I suspect ram compatiblity issue, G.Skill and M2N-E. When I had both sticks of memory installed in B1 A1 I was getting long beep two short beeps (video problem). Then I went to A1 only and bios loaded first try, then wouldn't load again. After that I moved to A2 and bios loaded, now won't. I have tried starting it up with nothing but cpu, memory, and video card and it does the same thing as when I have everything connected.

I don't really know what to do from here, is this definitely a memory issue? Any thing else I should do to be sure? Any ideas, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First of all (I know this doesn't REALLY matter, it just bugs the hell out of me when I see it), plug the hard drive into the first SATA port, and plug the optical drive into the Primary master port. Hit F1 when you see the screen in the image you linked to. Download the latest BIOS for the M2N-E, throw it on a floppy and flash it.... The CPU support list for the M2N-E shows all of the CPU's only supported since version 0203 (the BIOS version I linked to above).

louky

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I plugged the SATA drive into the first port and set the optical drive jumper to primary. I hit F1, but it just goes to the black screen with flashing cursor. I don't have windows installed so how do I flash the bios? I am a noob so please forgive my ignorance. Thanks.

aristotelus

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I recently build a system around a M2N-E board.

These where the things i had to change before the machine started working

Upgrade bios to 0203

One very important thing is.......dont use EZ flash! ....just use the old method...boot disk with 0203 bios file on it and awdflash program.

Manually set ddr timings according to specsheet of my memory.

That took care of my problems, maybe you will find some use for it to

aristotelus

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Flashing bios:

Make boot diskette on other comp.

download awdflash.exe from asus site

download 0203 bios file from asus site

Put downloaded files on floppy

Boot the patient on that diskette

on the A:\ prompt....you type....awdflash.exe and press enter..

Just follow the steps

(note: dont make a eloborate boot disk, you will need room to save current bios)

louky

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Thanks alot man I appreciate it. I have to go to work now, so it will be a bit before I can try it out. Thanks again!

louky

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Alright, one thing to try before flashing is resetting your CMOS with the CMOS jumper. Consult your mobo manual.

Cleared CMOS, on next boot it said "warning last post failed enter setup to load defautls", so I hit delete and it goes to same blinking cursor screen.

Hit F1 when you see the screen in the image you linked to. Download the latest BIOS for the M2N-E, throw it on a floppy and flash it

Created boot disk with bios and awdflash and the first time I had it in the floppy drive it came up with the M2N-E splash screen (different from the one I posted above) and said hit enter to begin setup (or something like that) and just went to blinking cursor screen, no A prompt. That screen has never loaded again after several tries, it always goes to the same screen I posted earlier, even when the boot disk is in A drive. Also, I forgot I had my xp disk in the dvd drive and on one attempt it went directly into windows setup, but hung on loading windows executive file.

Ideas?

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
G.skill makes good memory but I would lean toward your memory being the culprit here. I've even seen G.skill memory that actually only works with Intel chipsets . . . not suggesting that this is what is going on here.

My recommendation would be to see if you can exchange that memory for some 1.8 volt corsair, mushkin, or kingston memory modules.

If you bought your parts from an off the shelf retailer I'd take your computer to them and see if they can test your motherboard with a different set of memory modules; if it still misbehaves then your mobo is defective.

Sorry there isn't any better advice.

Mondoman

Splendid
^^^^^^^^ Agree with the above. The various hangs you're having are likely due to memory problems; you certainly don't want to be trying to reflash your BIOS under those kinds of conditions!

louky

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Alright here's an update:

So, the situation was I could not get into bios, the computer would post, but when hitting delete to enter setup, it would go to a black screen with flashing cursor.

After google(ing) a bit, I found someone with a similar situation and the suggestion he got was do a barebones boot, out of the case with gpu, cpu, and memory only. It solved his problem due to a short being caused within the case.

I did a bare bones boot and bios loaded first try, problem solved right? No, it went back to doing the same thing, black screen flashing cursor.

Next I put everything back in the case (gpu cpu mem) and guess what? Posted and entered bios first try. Then on subsequent attempts, nothing, black screen.

All of this was before I read about changing the memory timings and everything else manually in the bios.

Next, I unhooked everything again, plugged it (gpu cpu mem) back just like it was and entered bios first try. This time, after reading this thread I was prepared! I changed all the memory settings manually, set ddr2 voltage to max allowed, set optical drive to primary boot device. Then hooked up my drives.

Currently, windows is installing and after all this headache, I have my fingers crossed and I just "knocked on wood".

I don't know if I was making some noobish mistake or what. Being able to enter bios on the first attempt after disconnecting everything (3 times) and ONLY then, seems weird. Coincidence? No clue and at this point I don't even care.

Thanks for all your help!