no arp replys

Hello
I'm having a situation concerning Arp where i am seeing no Arp
reply's to many arp requests on my network when i evaluate with a
protocol analyzer. I think the arp traffic may be at a level where it
is disrupting traffic on the network and nodes are dropping off as a
result. It is a microsoft 2000/xp network running active directory.
The sniffs show alot of whois arp traffic and i see little or no arp
reply's with the mac address. I'm wondering what this could be due
too. It is a flat network with 175 nodes running a class b subnet.
Wins and Dns are configured. The workstation nodes are mixed
win2k/xp(majority being 2k), The servers are win2k. Is this high
amount of arp traffic(between 60 to 90 percent at a server)normal and
if not what could i do to facilitate the arp reply's. Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about replys

    michael@lakewood.cc (michael) writes:

    > I'm having a situation concerning Arp where i am seeing no Arp
    >reply's to many arp requests on my network when i evaluate with a
    >protocol analyzer.

    Are you sure that you are capturing _all_ traffic? How does that
    protocol analyzer work / get its packets?

    Remember that ARP requests are broadcast, so you'll see them on any port,
    but replies are unicast back to the receiver, so you normally _don't_
    see them on any port.

    best regards
    Patrick

Ethernet Card Networking