Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Can't turn off my Windows XP

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 6:27:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would like
to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been running
all night, with this message;
On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
AUTOMATICALLY.

On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2

Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

More about : turn windows

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:43:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I am getting the same on my computer.
Forgive my inexperience in such forums.
I am not sure how to access answers if any have been given.
I actually had to uplug my system after waiting 24 hours.
Everything came back up, but on sign off, same results.
Any imput?



"eh12" wrote:

> Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would like
> to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been running
> all night, with this message;
> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> AUTOMATICALLY.
>
> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>
> Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 11:39:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have the same problem. So does someone on the media center newsgroup. I
cut the power and went to work. searching net to find answer. no luck so far.

"eh12" wrote:

> Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would like
> to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been running
> all night, with this message;
> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> AUTOMATICALLY.
>
> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>
> Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 11:41:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

same problem don't know what to do I cut the power this morning.

"eh12" wrote:

> Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would like
> to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been running
> all night, with this message;
> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> AUTOMATICALLY.
>
> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>
> Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:39:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Same problem started October 12, 2004
Windows - logging off..
Windows - saving settings
Windows is shutting down

> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> AUTOMATICALLY.
>
> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 4:14:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in through
auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.

Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help in
resolving the issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3BD7053E-0E7E-4B5E-AFC0-21CED4431303@microsoft.com...
> Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
> like
> to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
> running
> all night, with this message;
> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> AUTOMATICALLY.
>
> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>
> Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 4:35:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

This was through auto update.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
> purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in through
> auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
> attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.
>
> Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help in
> resolving the issue.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3BD7053E-0E7E-4B5E-AFC0-21CED4431303@microsoft.com...
> > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
> > like
> > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
> > running
> > all night, with this message;
> > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> > AUTOMATICALLY.
> >
> > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
> >
> > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
>
>
>
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 4:56:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks.

At the moment I can only advise users with this issue, assuming a reasonable
amount of time as appears to be the case in this thread to reboot their
systems and see if they can get to their desktop and if there are any
ill-effects.

If you can't get to your desktop after this incident, reboot the system,
start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select "Last Known Good
Configuration." If that fails to resolve it, do the procedure again but at
the menu select Safe Mode and press enter. Once in Safe Mode, you should be
given the option to go immediately to System Restore, do so and select a
restore point prior to when this began.

I've mentioned this to other MVPs and I'll also try to push it up the
pipeline to try to alert Microsoft to the issue as well.

It might help if we knew which update you installed or if you installed all
of them. If anyone only installed one of the updates and is having this
problem, if we know which one, it could be a big help in nailing this down.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"apblack" <apblack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:036D44F5-8366-4FD8-9FD2-9B602C338045@microsoft.com...
> This was through auto update.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
>> purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in
>> through
>> auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
>> attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.
>>
>> Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help
>> in
>> resolving the issue.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:3BD7053E-0E7E-4B5E-AFC0-21CED4431303@microsoft.com...
>> > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
>> > like
>> > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
>> > running
>> > all night, with this message;
>> > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
>> > AUTOMATICALLY.
>> >
>> > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>> >
>> > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:06:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

One of the suggestions I received with regard to possibly resolving the
issue if you are unable to get to the desktop, might be of some use rather
than my original suggestion or at least something to try before trying Safe
Mode but after "Last Known Good Configuration:"

If they can boot to Safe Mode, navigate to the WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
folder and delete the contents of the Download folder. Reboot the system .
Hopefully, it will boot to Normal mode now
--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/


"apblack" <apblack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:036D44F5-8366-4FD8-9FD2-9B602C338045@microsoft.com...
> This was through auto update.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
>> purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in
>> through
>> auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
>> attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.
>>
>> Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help
>> in
>> resolving the issue.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:3BD7053E-0E7E-4B5E-AFC0-21CED4431303@microsoft.com...
>> > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
>> > like
>> > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
>> > running
>> > all night, with this message;
>> > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
>> > AUTOMATICALLY.
>> >
>> > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>> >
>> > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:18:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

To all who have posted with this issue:

Would you please post the name and version of your antivirus application?
It's possible the AV program is preventing shutdown or is interfering with
the installation.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3BD7053E-0E7E-4B5E-AFC0-21CED4431303@microsoft.com...
> Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
> like
> to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
> running
> all night, with this message;
> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> AUTOMATICALLY.
>
> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>
> Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:31:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

As you can see, this is a work in progress, for the moment, disregard the
suggestion I posted to delete the contents of the software distribution
folder until we have more information.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
news:%23JnCdAWsEHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> One of the suggestions I received with regard to possibly resolving the
> issue if you are unable to get to the desktop, might be of some use rather
> than my original suggestion or at least something to try before trying
> Safe Mode but after "Last Known Good Configuration:"
>
> If they can boot to Safe Mode, navigate to the
> WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete the contents of the
> Download folder. Reboot the system . Hopefully, it will boot to Normal
> mode now
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
>
> "apblack" <apblack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:036D44F5-8366-4FD8-9FD2-9B602C338045@microsoft.com...
>> This was through auto update.
>>
>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
>>> purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in
>>> through
>>> auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
>>> attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.
>>>
>>> Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help
>>> in
>>> resolving the issue.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>
>>> "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:3BD7053E-0E7E-4B5E-AFC0-21CED4431303@microsoft.com...
>>> > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it
>>> > would
>>> > like
>>> > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
>>> > running
>>> > all night, with this message;
>>> > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
>>> > AUTOMATICALLY.
>>> >
>>> > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>>> >
>>> > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 12:00:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Seems like we're all getting the same issues.

I have turned off auto updates and am downloading manually 16.9 mb of stuff
(on dial-up!)
Hope this sorts it.

Adam
"eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3BD7053E-0E7E-4B5E-AFC0-21CED4431303@microsoft.com...
> Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
> like
> to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
> running
> all night, with this message;
> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> AUTOMATICALLY.
>
> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>
> Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 1:43:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Only way to fix this is to go into security center and turn off auto update,
then go to windows update and get and install everything that's waiting
(16.9mb).

When installed, restart to complete and turn auto update back on. Should be
OK then.

Adam
"J. Burge" <JBurge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:77CE9F36-D211-434F-919F-CFCD840303EE@microsoft.com...
> Same problem started October 12, 2004
> Windows - logging off..
> Windows - saving settings
> Windows is shutting down
>
>> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
>> AUTOMATICALLY.
>>
>> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
>
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 1:43:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks. As soon as I got in this evening I headed for updates and finished
them. All went well I'm up to date and can turn off my computer yea! Thanks


"Adam Thomas" wrote:

> Only way to fix this is to go into security center and turn off auto update,
> then go to windows update and get and install everything that's waiting
> (16.9mb).
>
> When installed, restart to complete and turn auto update back on. Should be
> OK then.
>
> Adam
> "J. Burge" <JBurge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:77CE9F36-D211-434F-919F-CFCD840303EE@microsoft.com...
> > Same problem started October 12, 2004
> > Windows - logging off..
> > Windows - saving settings
> > Windows is shutting down
> >
> >> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> >> AUTOMATICALLY.
> >>
> >> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
> >
>
>
>
October 14, 2004 7:43:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I am also having a similar problem, and i do not have an AV program installed
as of yet. i get update 1 of 3,

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> To all who have posted with this issue:
>
> Would you please post the name and version of your antivirus application?
> It's possible the AV program is preventing shutdown or is interfering with
> the installation.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3BD7053E-0E7E-4B5E-AFC0-21CED4431303@microsoft.com...
> > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
> > like
> > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
> > running
> > all night, with this message;
> > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
> > AUTOMATICALLY.
> >
> > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
> >
> > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
>
>
>
October 14, 2004 1:51:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I'm seeing this same problem--try to shutdown and get msg that Windows
is installing updates 1 of 2; don't shutdown--so far on 4 laptops in
the past 24hrs. I'm running different versions of McAfee so I don't
think that is it. I've also tried installing manually with mixed
success. One manual attempt repeatedly fails with an "Error Code: 05"
which I've been unable to find on MS site. Nor can I find anything on
this.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 7:51:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Having a SIMILAR problem ...

Down in my "active" icon tray, the windows update icon is there. When I run
the mouse over it, it says "Downloading updates; 0%" ... it has been like
that for 4 days now and I cannot get rid of it ... it won't open, and it
darned sure isn't downloading anything. Recently I did get an "automatic
update" and it seemed to go in fine (some sort of security patch).

I'm running Nortons antivirus (new this year).

How do I get into the "security section" to turn OFF the "auto update?"

Thank you

Doug Linn
October 15, 2004 1:43:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You should be able to get to the Security Center via Control Panel and
change the settings there.
km
>
> How do I get into the "security section" to turn OFF the "auto update?"
>
> Thank you
>
> Doug Linn