Can't turn off my Windows XP

Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would like
to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been running
all night, with this message;
On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
AUTOMATICALLY.

On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2

Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!
17 answers Last reply
More about turn windows

    I am getting the same on my computer.
    Forgive my inexperience in such forums.
    I am not sure how to access answers if any have been given.
    I actually had to uplug my system after waiting 24 hours.
    Everything came back up, but on sign off, same results.
    Any imput?

    "eh12" wrote:

    > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would like
    > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been running
    > all night, with this message;
    > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >
    > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    >
    > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    I have the same problem. So does someone on the media center newsgroup. I
    cut the power and went to work. searching net to find answer. no luck so far.

    "eh12" wrote:

    > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would like
    > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been running
    > all night, with this message;
    > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >
    > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    >
    > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    same problem don't know what to do I cut the power this morning.

    "eh12" wrote:

    > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would like
    > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been running
    > all night, with this message;
    > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >
    > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    >
    > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    Same problem started October 12, 2004
    Windows - logging off..
    Windows - saving settings
    Windows is shutting down

    > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >
    > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2

    Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
    purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in through
    auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
    attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.

    Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help in
    resolving the issue.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
    > like
    > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
    > running
    > all night, with this message;
    > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >
    > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    >
    > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    This was through auto update.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
    > purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in through
    > auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
    > attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.
    >
    > Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help in
    > resolving the issue.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
    > > like
    > > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
    > > running
    > > all night, with this message;
    > > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > > AUTOMATICALLY.
    > >
    > > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    > >
    > > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    Thanks.

    At the moment I can only advise users with this issue, assuming a reasonable
    amount of time as appears to be the case in this thread to reboot their
    systems and see if they can get to their desktop and if there are any
    ill-effects.

    If you can't get to your desktop after this incident, reboot the system,
    start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select "Last Known Good
    Configuration." If that fails to resolve it, do the procedure again but at
    the menu select Safe Mode and press enter. Once in Safe Mode, you should be
    given the option to go immediately to System Restore, do so and select a
    restore point prior to when this began.

    I've mentioned this to other MVPs and I'll also try to push it up the
    pipeline to try to alert Microsoft to the issue as well.

    It might help if we knew which update you installed or if you installed all
    of them. If anyone only installed one of the updates and is having this
    problem, if we know which one, it could be a big help in nailing this down.

    --

    "apblack" <apblack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This was through auto update.
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
    >> purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in
    >> through
    >> auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
    >> attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.
    >>
    >> Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help
    >> in
    >> resolving the issue.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
    >> > like
    >> > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
    >> > running
    >> > all night, with this message;
    >> > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    >> > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >> >
    >> > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    >> >
    >> > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    One of the suggestions I received with regard to possibly resolving the
    issue if you are unable to get to the desktop, might be of some use rather
    than my original suggestion or at least something to try before trying Safe
    Mode but after "Last Known Good Configuration:"

    If they can boot to Safe Mode, navigate to the WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
    folder and delete the contents of the Download folder. Reboot the system .
    Hopefully, it will boot to Normal mode now
    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "apblack" <apblack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This was through auto update.
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
    >> purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in
    >> through
    >> auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
    >> attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.
    >>
    >> Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help
    >> in
    >> resolving the issue.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
    >> > like
    >> > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
    >> > running
    >> > all night, with this message;
    >> > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    >> > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >> >
    >> > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    >> >
    >> > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    To all who have posted with this issue:

    Would you please post the name and version of your antivirus application?
    It's possible the AV program is preventing shutdown or is interfering with
    the installation.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
    > like
    > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
    > running
    > all night, with this message;
    > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >
    > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    >
    > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    As you can see, this is a work in progress, for the moment, disregard the
    suggestion I posted to delete the contents of the software distribution
    folder until we have more information.

    --

    > One of the suggestions I received with regard to possibly resolving the
    > issue if you are unable to get to the desktop, might be of some use rather
    > than my original suggestion or at least something to try before trying
    > Safe Mode but after "Last Known Good Configuration:"
    >
    > If they can boot to Safe Mode, navigate to the
    > WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete the contents of the
    > Download folder. Reboot the system . Hopefully, it will boot to Normal
    > mode now
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "apblack" <apblack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> This was through auto update.
    >>
    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Was this through auto update or was this in response to an e-mail that
    >>> purports to be from Microsoft? There are security updates coming in
    >>> through
    >>> auto update but there is also a fraudulent e-mail going around and the
    >>> attachment in the e-mail is a virus and should not be installed.
    >>>
    >>> Hence, knowing how the source of the update to which you refer may help
    >>> in
    >>> resolving the issue.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>
    >>> "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Seems like we're all getting the same issues.

    I have turned off auto updates and am downloading manually 16.9 mb of stuff
    (on dial-up!)
    Hope this sorts it.

    Adam
    "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
    > like
    > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
    > running
    > all night, with this message;
    > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > AUTOMATICALLY.
    >
    > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    >
    > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    Only way to fix this is to go into security center and turn off auto update,
    then go to windows update and get and install everything that's waiting
    (16.9mb).

    When installed, restart to complete and turn auto update back on. Should be
    OK then.

    Adam
    "J. Burge" <JBurge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Same problem started October 12, 2004
    > Windows - logging off..
    > Windows - saving settings
    > Windows is shutting down
    >
    >> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    >> AUTOMATICALLY.
    >>
    >> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2

    Thanks. As soon as I got in this evening I headed for updates and finished
    them. All went well I'm up to date and can turn off my computer yea! Thanks

    "Adam Thomas" wrote:

    > Only way to fix this is to go into security center and turn off auto update,
    > then go to windows update and get and install everything that's waiting
    > (16.9mb).
    >
    > When installed, restart to complete and turn auto update back on. Should be
    > OK then.
    >
    > Adam
    > "J. Burge" <JBurge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Same problem started October 12, 2004
    > > Windows - logging off..
    > > Windows - saving settings
    > > Windows is shutting down
    > >
    > >> On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > >> AUTOMATICALLY.
    > >>
    > >> On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2

    I am also having a similar problem, and i do not have an AV program installed
    as of yet. i get update 1 of 3,

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > To all who have posted with this issue:
    >
    > Would you please post the name and version of your antivirus application?
    > It's possible the AV program is preventing shutdown or is interfering with
    > the installation.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "eh12" <eh12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Whilst turning off my laptop last night - microsoft state that it would
    > > like
    > > to make some updates, which I agreed to. The result is my pc has been
    > > running
    > > all night, with this message;
    > > On page 1: DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER;IT WILL TURN OFF
    > > AUTOMATICALLY.
    > >
    > > On page 2: INSTALLING UPDATE 1 OF 2
    > >
    > > Looks like a virus - what action is required!!!

    I'm seeing this same problem--try to shutdown and get msg that Windows
    is installing updates 1 of 2; don't shutdown--so far on 4 laptops in
    the past 24hrs. I'm running different versions of McAfee so I don't
    think that is it. I've also tried installing manually with mixed
    success. One manual attempt repeatedly fails with an "Error Code: 05"
    which I've been unable to find on MS site. Nor can I find anything on
    this.

    Having a SIMILAR problem ...

    Down in my "active" icon tray, the windows update icon is there. When I run
    the mouse over it, it says "Downloading updates; 0%" ... it has been like
    that for 4 days now and I cannot get rid of it ... it won't open, and it
    darned sure isn't downloading anything. Recently I did get an "automatic
    update" and it seemed to go in fine (some sort of security patch).

    I'm running Nortons antivirus (new this year).

    How do I get into the "security section" to turn OFF the "auto update?"

    Thank you

    Doug Linn

    You should be able to get to the Security Center via Control Panel and
    change the settings there.
    km

    > How do I get into the "security section" to turn OFF the "auto update?"
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Doug Linn

Microsoft Windows XP